Yamaha PSR-E253 vs. Casio CTK 2400

Reaction score
Hello!
To start, I know these two keyboards are mainly designed for beginners. I would not classify myself an advanced player but am certainly not a beginner as I took lessons from ages 4-13. Therefore, the “beginner-friendly” perks aren’t too important to me. I’ve chosen between these two because they seem like decent digital pianos and are fairly priced. (I’m a college student with limited space and money :p) I’m also not looking for a keyboard with a bunch of different sound effects as I find I don’t really use many of them, usually just stick to portable grand setting. Out of the two, which has a more authentic piano sound/feel? Thank you all in advance!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
- The PSR-E253 has organ-like keys (i.e., thin and flat).
- The CTK-2400 has piano-style keys (i.e., box-shaped), although they are only "semi-weighted."
- So the CTK-2400's keys would feel more like a piano's keys, but not the same as a piano's keys.

- The PSR-E253 does not have a velocity-sensitive keyboard.
- The CTK-2400 does not have a velocity-sensitive keyboard.
- So neither one will let you play more softly or more loudly by varying how forcefully (i.e., how quickly) you strike the keys.

- The PSR-E253 does not have any way to connect to a computer for communicating MIDI data.
- The CTK-2400 has a USB port for connecting to a computer for communicating MIDI data.
- So the CTK-2400 would be a better choice if you want to stream (i.e., "sequence") MIDI song data from the computer to play on the keyboard, or for recording MIDI data on the computer, or controlling virtual instruments on the computer. However, the fact that it is not velocity-sensitive would be an issue.

- The PSR-E253 has 32-note polyphony.
- The CTK-2400 has 48-note polyphony.
- So the CTK-2400 can play more notes at the same time. However, since you have only 10 fingers, you can play only 10 notes at a time, or 20 notes at a time if you're using a dual/layered voice. On the other hand, if you are going to be using a sustain pedal to hold notes while playing, or are going to be playing along to the keyboard's styles, then the polyphony could become an issue to consider.

Conclusion: As far as these two models, I'd say that the CTK-2400 would be the better choice as far as the considerations listed above.

However, a PSR-E363 should not cost much more than the PSR-E253 or CTK-2400. The PSR-E363 has a velocity-sensitive keyboard (although the keys are not box-shaped), so it will let you play more softly or more loudly.

Reaction score
- The PSR-E253 has organ-like keys (i.e., thin and flat).
- The CTK-2400 has piano-style keys (i.e., box-shaped), although they are only "semi-weighted."
- So the CTK-2400's keys would feel more like a piano's keys, but not the same as a piano's keys.

- The PSR-E253 does not have a velocity-sensitive keyboard.
- The CTK-2400 does not have a velocity-sensitive keyboard.
- So neither one will let you play more softly or more loudly by varying how forcefully (i.e., how quickly) you strike the keys.

- The PSR-E253 does not have any way to connect to a computer for communicating MIDI data.
- The CTK-2400 has a USB port for connecting to a computer for communicating MIDI data.
- So the CTK-2400 would be a better choice if you want to stream (i.e., "sequence") MIDI song data from the computer to play on the keyboard, or for recording MIDI data on the computer, or controlling virtual instruments on the computer. However, the fact that it is not velocity-sensitive would be an issue.

- The PSR-E253 has 32-note polyphony.
- The CTK-2400 has 48-note polyphony.
- So the CTK-2400 can play more notes at the same time. However, since you have only 10 fingers, you can play only 10 notes at a time, or 20 notes at a time if you're using a dual/layered voice. On the other hand, if you are going to be using a sustain pedal to hold notes while playing, or are going to be playing along to the keyboard's styles, then the polyphony could become an issue to consider.

Conclusion: As far as these two models, I'd say that the CTK-2400 would be the better choice as far as the considerations listed above.

However, a PSR-E363 should not cost much more than the PSR-E253 or CTK-2400. The PSR-E363 has a velocity-sensitive keyboard (although the keys are not box-shaped), so it will let you play more softly or more loudly.

Thank you so much!!!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Yes, generally speaking I much prefer the sound of Yamaha's voices over Casio's.

However, I thought the cheap Casio I used to have (CTK-710) did have a nice-sounding Grand Piano sound-- cleaner sounding than Yamaha's, in my opinion, but that might be because Yamaha likes to crank up the Reverb on their voice presets.

And at the price point of the PSR-E253 (roughly $100 USD), Yamaha doesn't have box-shaped or piano-style keys, only organ-style keys. If I'm not mistaken, the least expensive Yamaha that has box-shaped keys would be the DGX-230 (a.k.a. the YPG-235), which also has a 76-note keyboard, so that would probably be the best inexpensive Yamaha model for a more piano-like feel. Plus, it has a touch-sensitive keyboard. But it costs a good bit more than the PSR-E253, so I was reluctant to mention it-- although used models can sometimes be found for sale on Craigslist or eBay at a fraction of the original price.

Ask a Question