Yamaha win 11 driver installation failure

Reaction score
HI all,

I want to connect a Yamaha Arius YDP-144 to a surface pro 6. The device is detected by windows but it shows "driver problem". I downloaded the latest driver from the yamaha website but when I try to install it it says "device not detected" so the installation stops.
I tried with different usb cables, same problem.
Any ideas?

Thank you

Reaction score
by the way, in "bluetooth and devices" in win 11 it does show "ARIUS" with the mention "driver error"

Reaction score
I have tried the same setup on another pc, and this time the installation worked. The piano is still not recognized as midi though.
So first question is what do I have to do on the surface pro to make the installation work, and second, how do I make it be recognized as midi.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Make sure you're trying to install the Steinberg USB driver, not the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Okay, just starting with the obvious.

The only other things I can think of are (1) the USB cord and (2) the CPU speed. Most of the Yamaha models I'm familiar with require a USB 2 cable rather than a USB 3 cable. And I don't know what the requirements for the Steinberg driver are, but the Yamaha driver has a minimum requirement for the CPU speed.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
With the Steinberg driver, be sure to install the driver without having any USB devices (including the YDP keyboard) attached. That's in stark contrast to the Yamaha driver, which has a different installation procedure.

Which version number of the Steinberg driver did you install?

Version 2.1.6 requires a minimum CPU speed of 2 GHz. That might present a problem for some CPUs which have slower base speeds but are often advertised as being able to run much faster when in "boost" mode.

Version 2.0.3 also requires a minimum speed of 2 GHz.

So does version 1.9.9. It looks like they all do.

Ask a Question