HELP Yamaha ypt-230 No Power

Reaction score
Tried turning on my key board for the first time in a long time but absolutely no power. Could it be the batteries? I bought a new pack but the brand was just a cheap brand. Or maybe another issue? Was wondering if the volume knob "clicks" to off or is there no noise? I read in the manual you have to turn the master volume all thr way down then press the power on button. Any help is appreciated.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The recommendation to turn the Master Volume all the way down before powering up the keyboard is to help avoid unwanted loud noises that could be accidentally caused by turning on the keyboard while it's turned up loud. Doing that-- or not doing that-- should have no bearing on whether the instrument is able to power up.

Have you tried using the keyboard with the recommended power adapter? A power adapter is the preferred way to power the keyboard when you have access to a suitable power source.

If you don't have the power adapter, and must use batteries for now, were the old batteries corroded inside the keyboard? That can damage the connections inside the battery compartment.

When you replaced the batteries, did you make sure to insert them using the proper orientation for the plus and minus ends? They won't work if one or more of them is switched around in the opposite direction from what it's supposed to be.

Do you have a battery tester to check whether each battery is outputting the correct voltage? A battery tester can be a very useful device to have on hand if you use a lot of devices that run on battery power.

Did you mix any old batteries in with the new batteries?

Reaction score
The recommendation to turn the Master Volume all the way down before powering up the keyboard is to help avoid unwanted loud noises that could be accidentally caused by turning on the keyboard while it's turned up loud. Doing that-- or not doing that-- should have no bearing on whether the instrument is able to power up.

Have you tried using the keyboard with the recommended power adapter? A power adapter is the preferred way to power the keyboard when you have access to a suitable power source.

If you don't have the power adapter, and must use batteries for now, were the old batteries corroded inside the keyboard? That can damage the connections inside the battery compartment.

When you replaced the batteries, did you make sure to insert them using the proper orientation for the plus and minus ends? They won't work if one or more of them is switched around in the opposite direction from what it's supposed to be.

Do you have a battery tester to check whether each battery is outputting the correct voltage? A battery tester can be a very useful device to have on hand if you use a lot of devices that run on battery power.

Did you mix any old batteries in with the new batteries?

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the reply I don't have an ac adapter but was thinking of purchasing one. There was no battery corrosion from the old batteries but I have to double check if I put the batteries in right. I will look into getting a battery tester I had bought the keyboard a few years ago and put it away in the box after the batteries died anticipating I would buy an adapter but never did and now taking it out again this happens hopefully Your tips will gwt it working. Thanks again.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
To answer another part of your question that I hadn't addressed, turning the Master Volume all the way down won't make a click and turn off the power as with some devices (radios, etc.).

As for the Power/Standby button, it can get worn out and stop working, so hopefully that isn't the issue. If it turns out that it is, I'm not sure how easy it is to repair the switch, but there might be a copy of the Service Manual online at the ElektroTanya web site.

Ask a Question