16gb usb drive not recording on yahama psr s910

Reaction score
friends i need some help,

today on my yamaha psr s910, i had to convert a midi file to wav file so i inserted a 16gb pendrive which had around 10 gb free space...when i pressed the record button, a box kept flashing saying that :"the drive is busy"....
it was really frustrating...
later i inserted a 2 gb pen drive of my friend and it worked.
how do i make it work with my pen drive now??

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Probably you ran into a size limit of the keyboard when it comes to pen drives.

One thing that might work is to partition the pen drive to 2 GB.

Otherwise you're probably better off buying a few smaller pen drives.

Reaction score
Quite a common thing with Yamaha keyboards, I (and many others) have the same problem with the S950. The recording takes place in the root directory of the USB-stick, if there are files in that root or on the stick already this happens. The best thing to avoid it is a clean USB-stick, formatted in the keyboard to use for recordings only.

Reaction score
thanks all for your suggestion...yes i formatted my pendirive in the yamaha keyboard itself by going to function-utilities-media but still it dint work, then i cleaned the pen drive too by removing everything in it but still it dint work...probably 16gb pen drive is too much for my s910 to manage so either i should partition it or use a 2gb pendrive

Reaction score
No, 16 GB should NOT be a problem but a partition will for sure if you use it for recording. There has been a lot of discussions about pendrives on the PSR-Tutorial-forum lately as you can find drives up to 64 GB now.
People with more knowledge about it than me say that some brandnames are giving more trouble than others. It has to do with the internal structure of larger pendrives. Just try another brand I would advice. I use several Transcend and Kingston 8, 16 and 32 GB pendrives all the time in a PSR S950 (2 at the time using a small hub) without any problem. The 8 GB is a dedicated drive only for recording, nothing else on it.
I hope this helps you.

Regards
DickR

Reaction score
Hello Pavan,

I have a S910 also, and have used a 2gb pen drive and that is what happens, sometimes. What DickR said would definatly help, start with a "clean" drive.

Because what is happening is that the unit records continuously (which you already know), but it is counting up incremently as it is storing the .wav file. IF it runs into a fragmented space, it does not have the means to skip and go to the next clear space on your drive. That is when it says "The drive is busy".
(I learned this somewhere in the manual...................)

But that's what is happening, it runs into a clear fragment, starts there, counting up untill it runs into another file and then stops.

There have been other posible problems mentioned in this thread, but this is yet another one........................

................................Pat

Ask a Question