1u rackspace to fill ith DI or mixer?

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 1U space in my 2U rack bag for a mixer or a DI box, I'm not sure which to get..and I dont really want to lug around a separate mixer or 2 x non-rack DI boxes

My setup includes a (lovely) 1U Kurzweil PC2R module connected up to a CME 71 master keyboard (build like tank) and a Microkorg (phat sound/flimsy case).
The 1U Kurzweil sits in a padded 2U rack bag, and since there is a spare slot I'd like to improve the sound at gigs and in rehearsals.

Outputs from the kurzweil is 2 x balanced jacks, whereas the Korg has 2 x unbalanced jacks (not forgetting 1 x Vocoder or Normal input jack). I havent seen many 2 x 2 stereo pair DI box rack units out there, which I think would be ideal. I think that would be much simpler than a mini mixer, which would introduce far more distortion into the path. I am lucky enough to always be plugging directly into a mixer at gigs and in the rehearsal room. However for convenience I usually only use mono for both the Korg (OKish) and the Kurzweil (bad bad bad)

The basic problem is that a lot of gig venues
A. don't have any DI boxes so I have to suffer Mic gain on my keys, and
B. they usually only have 2 inputs MAX for keys (I would be looking at supplying 4)

I could bite the bullet and buy 2 standard floor DI boxes (a mono one and a stereo one) - I wonder if there are any that elegantly sum to mono too...how do you guys get around this issue?

Am I misunderstanding something? If I put my keyboard through a DI box and then into the mix in of a mixing desk, is it OK to have the mic pre gain on the signal?

Ta
Ross

Ask a Question