88 weighted key midi controller?

Reaction score
My 13yo is looking for an upgrade to his casio, he's also a tech kid and loves playing around with the casio connected via midi to garageband or a laptop with some of the demo DAW tools I've installed.

I was going to pull the trigger on a Novation Impulse 61 key midi controller, but his piano teacher was suggesting I look for something with 88 weighted keys. He's also a drummer, and I know will like the idea of the drum pads on the Novation. I see M-Audio makes something but it's lacking in the programmable buttons dept which I know he will love working with.

I've googled a bunch and haven't found anything else so thought I'd ask the knowledgeable folk here if there's something out there that combines the M-Audio's weighted 88 keys with Novations many programmable buttons.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Reaction score
wow! I've been watching videos and reading reviews of the Arturia, thanks for that suggestion.

I'm a bit unclear about a couple things, which perhaps you can comment on. A couple of reviews talk about the Arturia having semi-weighted keys (and one video review of a smaller Arturia where the guy was saying they were OK, but nothing near as good as his fully weighted keyboard) where another video mentions the keys are fully weighted.

Also is there any difference between the black limited edition and the white, other than the color? (if not, maybe i grab a used one from ebay)

I guess lastly is (and I know manufacturers keep this info close to the chest), this controller has been around for several years. Any rumors of an updated version coming soon?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
1) Eric Barker who posts here regularly owns a Keylab 88 so he can answer your questions about touch.

2) I have no idea what's "special" about the special edition except the color.

3) Winter NAMM 2018 has come and gone already and no updates on the market. For that matter the Akai MPK Line of controllers hasn't seen any updates in almost a decade.

There's simply not that much need to change what is a fundamentally good design on a controller.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I'm going to head to guitar center tonight with my son and his piano teacher and check out arturia, novation, studiologic, etc. they dont have the 88 key version of arturia but we can probably get an idea with the 61

i also discovered the komplete kontrol s88 and am falling in love very quickly with that (he can live without the drum pads :D)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It's never a good idea to rush a keyboard purchase.

Make certain you've done all your homework before you pull the trigger.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don't think you'll find hammer action weighted keys on anything less than 88 keys-- possibly on a model with 76 keys, but I don't think Arturia makes one of those.

The 88 key model does indeed have hammer action weighted keys according to Arturia's web site, but I don't know if the weighting is "scaled" such that the lower keys feel heavier and the higher keys feel lighter.

Reaction score
thanks all, guitar center doesnt have any midi controllers set up that one can play with. we're going to wait for the release of the komplete kontrol S-88 mkII .... along with the hundreds of others that are waiting. maybe i'll grab something cheap off craigslist in the meantime so we can practice with a DAW and start to learn how everything works together.

Reaction score
Good hammer action feel combined with all other features will be an expensive controller.....I found the Studiologic SL-990 PRO to be the best bang for the buck as far as hammer action keys that actually feel like real piano...... unfortunately it's not much good for anything else as a MIDI controller.... but it's not my only controller keyboard so the lack of additional knobs, sliders and switches is not really a problem for me.

Reaction score
I think the best bet is to let your son decide on what keyboard he likes the feel of first and foremost, worry about features later. Of course the old man's wallet will have a say too! :)

I quite like the Nektar LX88+. fairly inexpensive, keyboard felt quite good and has pads.

Reaction score
I ended up buying a new NI S88 for 25% off. I was kind of waiting for the mk2 to come out, but others reported the S61 mk2 was substantially inferior to the original S61 and recommended pulling the trigger on the mk1.

Ask a Question