AKX10 Firmware Bugs?

Reaction score
As far as I now, Jeremy See never talked about the quality issues of the PSR SX900/700 keybeds.

For your information, a lot of PSR SX900/700 were sent back for repair to Yamaha in the warranty period. Yamaha regreased the keys but the problem comes back again and again. There are a lot of unhappy buyers with defective keyboards (noisy keys) out of the warranty period. Also the new PSR A5000 Oriental has the same problem because it mounts the same SFB keybed as the PSR SX900/700.

By the way, it's not strange that Mr.See prefers the SX900 over the AKX10. The Yamaha sounds much better.
Never had a problem with my PSR SX700 keys at all - 2 1/2 years later. I'd be pissed if I did - $1600 should get a decent key bed.

Reaction score
(...)

By the way, it's not strange that Mr.See prefers the SX900 over the AKX10. The Yamaha sounds much better.

An SX900 certainly sounds a class higher. The target group of the AKX10 is currently likely more the bedroom player and less the pro who uses it for performances. Here, of course, the Yamaha player can also fall back on a much larger number of styles. I bought the key only for my little daughter. Nevertheless, from my point of view, really a lot is offered here for the money and it makes a lot of fun.

Medeli Support has already reported that they are checking this. As soon as I know more, I am of course happy to pass on the info here.

By the way, I have another topic: I have two Adam Audio T7V connected to the Medeli (7" monitors). No sub. Even at a moderate volume, the sound of the piano distorts very strongly with low tones/chords. The range and dynamics of a piano are of course very large and can cause problems. I've also read some threads discussing similar issues. But no one could answer the final conclusively. Some monitors may be more vulnerable than others...

Reaction score
btw:
Are the two 1/4" line-outs balanced or unblanced?
There is no info in the manual...
A balanced output jack looks different.
They are unbalanced.

I use the Medeli with a Focusrite audio interface and a pair of Yamaha HS monitors and no issues with the piano sound.

Reaction score
An SX900 certainly sounds a class higher. The target group of the AKX10 is currently likely more the bedroom player and less the pro who uses it for performances. Here, of course, the Yamaha player can also fall back on a much larger number of styles. I bought the key only for my little daughter. Nevertheless, from my point of view, really a lot is offered here for the money and it makes a lot of fun.

Except for the sound quality, I don't agree with you. The Medeli is a professional arranger, not a bedroom player instrument.

By de way, it works very good too as midi usb controller for softsynths (vst). I use it to control Nexus 3. Really powerfull duet.

Reaction score
Dievas, you're right, the Medeli is a professional arranger. I meant more that Medeli is probably even more appealing to the players at home at the moment. Yamaha or Korg have a big lead with the large amount of styles and of course the large community. But it's just my opinion.

What interests me very much: Which HS do you have (5, 7, 8?) and how are they connected to the Medeli (directly or e.g. via a mixer)? You don't use a sub, right? When you turn up the keyboard and both HS and play a powerful deep chord, does that sound clear without distortion? With my two 7" Adam T7V (directly connected) it sounds terrible (distorted). And even with keyboard and Speakers fully turned up, it is only moderately loud (max. 90 dbA). Unfortunately, the Medeli then has no balanced output, the unbalanced input of the Adam has -10 db attenuation.

I'am not sure, wether the Adams are the problem or I need a Sub or I need a Mixer between the Medeli and the speakers...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually Balanced outputs can be XLR or TRRS.

You cannot tell by just looking.

You have to go by the spec sheet. (Wherever the hell that is)

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Or, open it up and count how many wires coming from the output jack. 2 = TRS, 3 = TRRS

Gary ;)

EDIT >Assuming it has two mono outputs and not a single stereo output like a headphone jack.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Probably not balanced anyway. That's a feature normally only found on higher end workstations and arrangers.

Or contact the manufacturer's support network (Haha) for a definitive answer.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Dievas, you're right, the Medeli is a professional arranger. I meant more that Medeli is probably even more appealing to the players at home at the moment. Yamaha or Korg have a big lead with the large amount of styles and of course the large community. But it's just my opinion.

What interests me very much: Which HS do you have (5, 7, 8?) and how are they connected to the Medeli (directly or e.g. via a mixer)? You don't use a sub, right? When you turn up the keyboard and both HS and play a powerful deep chord, does that sound clear without distortion? With my two 7" Adam T7V (directly connected) it sounds terrible (distorted). And even with keyboard and Speakers fully turned up, it is only moderately loud (max. 90 dbA). Unfortunately, the Medeli then has no balanced output, the unbalanced input of the Adam has -10 db attenuation.

I'am not sure, wether the Adams are the problem or I need a Sub or I need a Mixer between the Medeli and the speakers...

I use:

Medeli, Behringer rack mixer, Focusrite Scarlet, Yamaha HS7.Everything unbalanced.

Reaction score

Try a mixer with balanced outputs or a sound card like the Behringer uphoria 404hd.

Make a factory reset. Maybe it can helps. May be you have the compressor activated?

Reaction score
News from Medeli.
It seems I have to exchange the keyboard.

- snip -

1. Global Settings -> Utility -> Config 2: Usually, a white checkbox means that a function is inactive and a red checkbox means that a function is active. For the "High Contrast" function, however, a white checkbox means that the function is active (and grey = inactive). Global Settings -> Utility -> Config 2: When "High Contrast" is activated, "Breathing Light" means that the function is inactive and a red checkbox that the function is active. If "High Contrast" is deactivated, however, a white checkbox for "Breathing Light" means that the function is inactive and a grey checkbox that the function is active. This means that the whole color scheme is inconsistent.

--We will optimize this "High Contrast" theme in next firmware upgrade (V1.4).

2. Global Settings -> Utility -> Config 3: All changes to Year/Month/Day and Hour/Minute are reseted to "2018" after restart.

-- Due to some abnormal reason ,the battery on main board is empty, Please contact your dealer about the battery replace.

3. Global Settings -> Utility -> Config 4: The buttons for "Backup" and "Restore" are always grayed out and are not selectable.

-- This function is planned to be developed on our next firmware upgrade (V1.4).

4. Group Knobs (top left): If I switch to "Assign", adjust the three controls (e.g. to min.) and save with "Store" (Bank 001, Peormance Memory 1), the values are reseted to the factory settings when Performance Memory 1 is called up again. However, if I switch to "Assign", adjust the three sliders (e.g. to min.), then switch to "Cutoff, Resonance, Volume" with the Select button and save again with "Store", the settings remain saved. If I then switch back to Assign1/2/3 with the Select Button and save again with "Store", the values are reseted to the basic settings when I call them up again.

-- This function works normal on our side on firmware V1.3.7, this issue is not shown. You could reset to factory and try again. If this issue is still there, Could you please record a short video for us?

Reaction score
Try a mixer with balanced outputs or a sound card like the Behringer uphoria 404hd.

Make a factory reset. Maybe it can helps. May be you have the compressor activated?
In the meantime I also tried it with a mixer. No differance.

So the simple answer is:
Digital piano don‘t work with medium speakers (5“-8“) at a slightly higher volume.

Reaction score
In the meantime I also tried it with a mixer. No differance.

So the simple answer is:
Digital piano don‘t work with medium speakers (5“-8“) at a slightly higher volume.
Update:
I was wrong, it was only a problem with Adam Audio (T5V, T7V, T8V).
Now I use another brand and everything is fine.

Ask a Question