Angled Keyboard Stand

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a new stand for my keyboard/synth. For live music/band practice I play standing up. However, every keyboard stand I can find holds the keyboard in a horizontal position or (if its on a tier) angled with the keys pointing down. I find this uncomfortable and unnatural.

I would like to purchase a stand which holds the keyboard such that the back of the keyboard is lower than the front of the keys. I think this would be much more condusive to a natural hand position.
Does anyone know of such a stand? I haven't had much luck searching.

The Y_man

Reaction score
That's a very interesting set up.....Can you maybe wedge something in the front of the keyboard? (Worried about it sliding off backwards or something though! :p It is maybe more your seating (or standing) height?

The Y-man

Reaction score
I think you're referring to something like Janne Warman, keyboardplayer in Children of Bodom? Ronny Tegner from Pagan's Mind also uses that kind of set up.

450px-Masters_of_Rock_2007_-_Children_of_Bodom_-_Janne_Warman_-_04.jpg

I think most keyboard stand producers have several options available, but here's some from Quiklok:
http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=p_3&sName=Keyboard-Stands-&-Accessories

Reaction score
That's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for. The angle is a bit excessive, but that's the idea.

The only things on that Quicklok page that are angled seem to be tiers - and that seems to be how it is for most manufacturers. I'm starting to think it might be easiest to just use a second tier as the primary holder.

Reaction score
Dunno how he can play like that ! :eek:
I was taught that elbows should be at same height as keys, so your forearms are level.
I play standing up now, so rather than adjust the seat to satisfy the above rule, I adjust the keyboard height, but the rule still applies, and works for me. So the "main" keyboard is horizontal and on a level with my elbows when standing, and then "upper" keyboard is slightly angled down for the same reason.
All just personal preference, though, I guess...

Ask a Question