Back with a new keyboard

Reaction score
Hi my keyboard playing friends :) I've been off the forum for a while; just ordered a new Roland VR-09, and while I'm waiting for it to arrive I thought I'd check in and do a search on that keyboard here at this forum, but came up with nothing.

I've been using an Alesis QS8 and 2 E-Mu Vintage Keys with Fatar controllers, and 2 Peavey 15/horn cabs (the heavy ones covered in carpet).

Now I'm going out with the Roland VR-09, one of the Vintage Keys with my E-Mu X61 controller, I just bought a Crown XLI800 (works great), and I'm going to replace the old Peavey cabs with a pair of the PVx 15 cabs - they're a lot lighter.

So just 2 lightweight keyboards with a pair of lighter weight cabs to play gigs with.

I'm thinking I should replace my Behringer mixer with a small Soundcraft unit. Don't you think that would be a huge improvement in the mixer department?

Anyway, good to be back.

Play on my friends - Jim

Reaction score
I just ordered a Roland Gaia and a pair of EV ZLX-15P speakers - waiting for them to arrive :)
Now my all new lightweight rig will be complete. My new speakers weigh 29 pounds less apiece, and my two new keyboards combined weigh less than my QS8!

Reaction score
Sounds great! How long do you have to wait for them to be delivered?

Reaction score
My new gear arrived and I couldn't be happier. I love my Roland rig - VR-09 on the bottom, and the Gaia on top. I've got the new Gaia sounding fat & sassy with patch installs and tweaking.
I absolutely love the new ZLX-15P's too! Yesterday I totally immersed myself in drums and bass from the VR-09 whilst I ripped endless leads on the Gaia. Actually for several hours. At somewhat high volume levels :)

Thanks - Jim

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I can't speak for the portability of the Onstage. Mine stays put in my home studio.

Sorry,

Gary

Reaction score
The gaia weighs 9 pounds and the VR09 weighs 12 pounds. I don't think the X-Stand is in danger of collapsing from the weight of either keyboard.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Dave makes a valid point, but it also depends on how hard you pound the keys while you're playing. I've seen X stands bounce around like jumping beans when some people start hammering out a tune.

Personally I can't abide with a keyboard that doesn't just lie there when I'm using it. My Z stand holds them nice and steady no matter what style I'm playing.

Gary

Reaction score
I want to go with a 2 tier Z stand regardless. I actually have an Ultimate 3 tier A frame that I used for many years, but that thing is big and dated. I'll be headed to Denver in a couple weeks - may go to Guitar Center so I don't have to mail order one.

Ask a Question