Beginner's Keyboard Suggestion

Reaction score
Hey guys, great info here and I’m hoping and I can jack this thread for an additional question to something the experts mentioned.

what are your thoughts in cheating and using Ableton/GB on the computer (I don’t use iPad because there isn’t an app for the Launchkey) to expand the sound and capabilities of a cheap arranger (ct-x 700/800) as opposed to hardware?

Can you please be a bit more expressive in your requirements?

Reaction score
Hey, thx for the quick reply. please move to another thread if need.

im using the cheapest Casio CT-X 800 which i bought a year ago to learn to play keyboard (not piano). One month in, I had I find that it’s a bit limiting in terms of swapping sounds to start with. But was lazy and too cheap to consider upgrading so quick.
Now I’m start to looking for something more software or otherwise that would allow me to emulate what I can do on my Novation Launchkey and ability to play real full songs.
I need
* to be able to switch sounds seamlessly mid song
* I also swap between electric guitar and keys from time to time within the same song
* I want to be able to program and /or tweak the preset sounds and load in actual patches.
* I do not like weighted keys ( as I never played an acoustic) but don’t want something that breaks my nails either (don’t get me started on my poor fingerpicking hand)

i also realize I’m looking probably at a workstation. I’ve been reluctant to upgrade because I attend acoustic jams and the on board speakers is nice. But I have a small Bluetooth-wired speaker i can try to hook up.
Any suggestions to hardware (looking at about 500-1500$C) or any tutorial/advice on how to work in garage band or Ableton with an arranger? Im sticking with 61 keys as I carry the rig on transit

thanks guys.

Reaction score
You are not necessarily looking at a Workstation but you could be looking at a significant expense.

Arranger software is available, I am not talking about a DAW but an awareness that other forms of software is available and this may be one course of action for you to research.

The ability to switch sounds seamlessly is generally not possible in low cost workstation keyboard eg in a Korg Kross 2, but a Roland FA can do it to an extent but these are not Arrangers.

Take a look at what a Korg Pa700 or Yamaha PSR SX700 can do, and I can tell you that with the Korg it is possible but your use of a sustain pedal and timing is the key to making the transition as seamless as possible.

Watch this starter tutorial and then work your way through the rest of the series and you will then have a good understanding of the capabilities of a mid range Arranger

Ask a Question