Beginning to write music for the Keyboard

Reaction score
Hi there,

For a long time I've wanted to go a little further with music. I'm a 3rd year college student studying Psychology, but I've always wanted to be able to write and play music on the keyboard/piano. Eventually I'd like to either play with a band or compose music on some sort of music software (I have Reason).

I've kind of hit a wall though - I don't know what to do to start moving towards that. I'd say that I'm Intermediate in my playing skill. I had piano lessions in 3rd grade for about 6 months, and then played on and off (mostly off) up until now. At some points I'd practice every day, but I'm not consistent. I know basic chords and scales, and I understand music theory, but I don't know what's necessary to start actually doing it.

Should I just start writing songs, however bad they are? I have a lot of music in my head, but I seem to lose it when I start trying to figure out the specific notes. Should I practice more and improve my technical playing? Are there good intermediate songs that anybody can recommend that are fun to play but not too frustrating?

I just need some advice on a place to go from here. Has anybody else been here?

-Sam

Ask a Question