Best keyboard under $1000

Reaction score
One pile-on of a prior response and a couple of additional thoughts I have not seen in this thread.

The suggestion to try the keyboards on your short list is essential. I say that because I did so, and it resulted in me purchasing a less expensive keyboard: a Casio Privia PX-160. I found it felt just as good to me as the more expensive keyboards I was looking at, so why spend the extra money? I'm not advocating that as your solution, but it seems to me the only concern relative to your criteria would be whether it has enough voices for your goals. So far I have only used the grand piano and harpsichord voices seriously.

Something else is if this is to serve as your piano, you should consider whether you need a sostenuto pedal. While my Casio is capable of a sostenuto pedal, the manufacturer's set up requires you use their "permanent" stand for their three pedal assembly, and there goes your portability. I play two pieces that would benefit from a sostenuto, and neither my acoustic piano nor keyboard have the feature, although I have been researching an approach to adapting the Casio pedals to a portable stand but have just been too busy to take the project on yet.

I would also like to suggest that you want the keyboard to feel "right" for you, but don't get hung up on perfection. My acoustic piano, which I learned on, has a rather stiff action. The Casio has a very light action. I find that moving back and forth between the two has improved my ability to play an unfamiliar piano when I have the opportunity. So, don't worry to much if you next keyboard cannot exactly replicate the feel of an acoustic piano... it won't, but that's not necessarily a problem.

Good luck with your search!

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips guys! This weekend I may go the the store and try them out. I'm just trying to get the most bang for the buck because I'm keeping it long term. I found a Roland Fantom X8 for $750. Is it worth it or should I stick to my shortlist?

Reaction score
Of I see, I'll see if I can fine a mox8. Are casios much better made than they use to be? Are the piano, ep, and pads comparable with other brands

Reaction score
Of I see, I'll see if I can fine a mox8. Are casios much better made than they use to be? Are the piano, ep, and pads comparable with other brands
I think they have always been as well-made as anyone else... i.e. I don't hear of Casios failing any more than Korgs, Rolands, or Yamahas. Comparing them to the MX88, DS88, Kross88 that you've been talking about, I'd say the current Casio 88 actions generally feel better (though some people may have different preferences), and the keyboards are also smaller and lighter. Sounds are very subjective. Personally, I like Yamaha pianos best of the bunch, but I'd put the Casio piano sounds at least in the same ballpark as the DS88 and Kross. As for Electric Pianos, I like the ones in the PX5S and PX560 probably at least as much as any of the other boards we're talking about and probably more (especially once you add the freely downloadable additions available on the casiomusicforums site), but I don't think I would say the same about Casio's lower models. As for pads, I don't use them much and am not sure what makes one better (I mean, I know what a piano or a rhodes or a wurli should sound like since they are real world instruments, but I have no reference for what a pad should objectively sound like). But again, in Casios, I'd focus on the higher end models (PX560, PX5S) because their hexlayer function allows very complex layering.

Personally, I'd say the used MOX8 you mentioned is best of what's been discussed, then PX560 (but the PX560 is over $1k new). What a coincidence, these are also the most expensive boards you've mentioned. ;-)

If you're going to top $1,000, I'd also look at the Kurzweil SP6. I haven't played that one myself, but Kurzweil pianos and EPs are generally strong. One thing I like about Kurzweil and Yamaha is that their lower cost boards usually have mostly the same quality of sound as their higher end boards, they focus more on cutting back in features. This is the opposite approach of Korg whose lower end boards have tons of features but do not have the same sounds as their higher end boards. But it depends what you need... Korg is still a great option for people looking for lots of features at a lower budget.

Reaction score
Nice comparison video there. Where the Casio falls behind to me is in the sustain when you hold notes in the upper octaves (I'm not talking about the very highest octave, where nothing has much sustain, but in the octaves below that). Still, especially at its price, the Casio acquits itself nicely.

One possibly important difference to be aware of is that the Casio has a single piano sample in it... all its piano sounds are variations of the same sample set. The Yamaha CP and the Korg Grandstage both have multiple, different sounding pianos in them that you can choose from (i.e. you could pick the sound of a Bosendorfer, or a Yamaha, or a Steinway, whatever... though the exact selection varies), and we only heard one of each of their pianos here.

Reaction score
I ordered a Kawai MP11SE a couple of days ago, but I must admit that I was tempted at the last minute by a Yamaha CP88. It didn’t do anything for me at first but It’s a very cool keyboard, with top notch sounds, and I was very pleasanly surprised by the action, but in the end, nothing beats the Kawai Grand Feel action. Still, the CP88 would definitely be my second choice...

Reaction score
Those pianos sound great, but are unfortunately way above my budget. I found a used Korg Kross 1 88 for $600 with a carry bag. Seems to be in great condition. Is there any good reason to not buy it? Anything else I should truly consider? I don't want to regret my decision as soon as I buy it.

Reaction score
Those pianos sound great, but are unfortunately way above my budget. I found a used Korg Kross 1 88 for $600 with a carry bag. Seems to be in great condition. Is there any good reason to not buy it? Anything else I should truly consider? I don't want to regret my decision as soon as I buy it.

I would go for a Kross 2 88, much better. Should be within budget, no problem, even the new 88 MB... I bought my Kross 2 88 for 635 euro only a few months ago, same price as what you normally pay for the 61 key model, was a temporary promotion. Look around, I’m sure you’ll find a good deal...

Reaction score
Hmm thanks for letting me know. I'll see if I can find it. Maybe I should wait a bit for some promotions

Reaction score
If you wait a couple of months Kaneda will probably be selling a Kawaii.

:cool:
Lol...
Not shipping it to the States, though...

Seriously, when I move to my appartment for good, I’ll either use my Kross 2 as a second tier, or I’ll get a Roland VR-730 as a companion for my Kawai, at which point I might sell the Kross 2, or I might not, it depends whether Korg can be bothered to release those expansions ;)

Reaction score
Yeah I found an used mox8 for $750 at guitar center. It says that it is in good condition but they would have to ship it to my local store. I afraid that once I receive it it won't truly be in good condition. I would much rather buy something locally as I can test it out for my self .

Reaction score
Can you try it out once it gets to your local store, and then not take it (or instantly return it) if you're not satisfied?

Reaction score
I haven't thought of that, I'm going to look into it right now, do you think that it would be my best bet?

Ask a Question