"Burning Piano" sound, advice needed

Reaction score
So, here's the sound I want to emulate:

I've done a few tries, but failed. I guess that I need to do some changes to the piano sound itself, which I'm struggling with. I've mostly tried to combine a piano sound with some tubular bells or other bells, but haven't really achieved the desired results.

In anyone has any ideas or hints, it's greatly appreciated :)

Reaction score
The effect he's trying to get is that of a really old piano with bad action. After a bit of tweaking, I've got something that sounds pretty similar.

Started with a basic Concert Grand patch with a bit of "Hall" reverb, and turned up the chorus depth to about 1/2-2/3, leaving the rate very low (it would sound too honky-tonk!). I found a waveform that emulates the effect of piano strings being overhit and mixed that in along with a pitched wood block effect with short attack/decay.

The Result

Reaction score
Thanks for the help!'
I managed to get a rather decent results, but didn't quite find that kind of waveform that you're speaking of.
Since I'm quite new to the programming-stuff, I've don't have any experience at all with waveforms, so a bit of help there would be really appreciated :)

Reaction score
I'll try to explain. I don't know a lot about the M50's synthesis system, but I would guess it's fairly similar to other brands' Sample+Synthesis. (Anyone more familiar with Korgs, feel free to jump in!)

Each sound is made up of one or more waveforms generated by oscillators. In the good old days of analog synthesis, these were actual electronic oscillators generating fairly basic periodic waveforms (sawtooth, triangle, pulse etc.)

Nowadays, the oscillators are digital, meaning that they are not limited to producing periodic waveforms. They will playback any audio data that's thrown at them - increasingly, these are samples of real instruments. They are still refered to as waveforms regardless of what audio data they contain.

For example, in the sound above, I'm using three waveforms - a acoustic piano multisample, the "overhit piano" waveform and the percussive waveform.

Reaction score
I'll try to explain. I don't know a lot about the M50's synthesis system, but I would guess it's fairly similar to other brands' Sample+Synthesis. (Anyone more familiar with Korgs, feel free to jump in!)

Each sound is made up of one or more waveforms generated by oscillators. In the good old days of analog synthesis, these were actual electronic oscillators generating fairly basic periodic waveforms (sawtooth, triangle, pulse etc.)

Nowadays, the oscillators are digital, meaning that they are not limited to producing periodic waveforms. They will playback any audio data that's thrown at them - increasingly, these are samples of real instruments. They are still refered to as waveforms regardless of what audio data they contain.

For example, in the sound above, I'm using three waveforms - a acoustic piano multisample, the "overhit piano" waveform and the percussive waveform.

Okey, but my problem is pretty much just finding the waveform that simulates the "overhit piano", and there are like over 1000 waveforms in this thing, and I couldn't find one named "overhit piano", it's tricky to find it, and it would be a pain to try them all :p

kanthos said:
FYI., the original sound came from Spectrasonics' Omnisphere.

Yeah, I did notice that, but I thought that it was some device or something that had to be bought, so I'd prefer to try and reproduce it instead :)

Reaction score
Okey, but my problem is pretty much just finding the waveform that simulates the "overhit piano", and there are like over 1000 waveforms in this thing, and I couldn't find one named "overhit piano", it's tricky to find it, and it would be a pain to try them all :p

If there is one, it may be called "Piano Attack" or "Piano Hit" or something. Otherwise you may just have to go through all the piano waveforms until you find something you like...

Reaction score
Okey, I did find a decent one. I'm not at home atm, but I will do a quick recording when I get home, so you can help me out with the fine adjustments :)

Thanks for all the help :)

EDIT: Did the recording now. Unfortunately my computer sound card doesn't really give the M50 justice, the lower register does sound better than this, but the upper is pretty accurate.

All in all, it's definitely accurate enough :)

http://www.box.net/shared/kupxeagxkx

Ask a Question