Casio Privia 160 vs Casio CDP350: are they even for me anyway?

Reaction score
Wow!
Well that changes things again.

After thinking about it, I'll probably have the keyboard set up in that left hand bass format most of the time. If I'm playing keys, I'm not playing the bass guitar. I still have to provide the bass so it's important that this setup works well.

I'll get an A/B switch to run both my bass and the left side of the keyboard to my bass rig.

I'll run the right side of the keyboard through a keyboard amp and play the smaller intro/outro parts on the right side.

I can use the right side to play chords while I play left hand bass as well. I don't really need to do anything amazing on the right side. Just rhythm stuff. Our guitar player is strong and can pull more than his share of the weight. If I can give him something to work with, he can pick up the slack. :D

The fact that it seems the most user friendly in the left hand bass format is a huge pro for the Juno and might make the decision.

My bass cabs each weigh about the same amount as the Juno. I'll look into a gig bag with wheels if that helps.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
One thing to watch out for if you're driving two separate amps with each channel is ground loops. If you experience any serious hum you may have to add a DI box or two to isolate the amps from the board.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
One thing to watch out for if you're driving two separate amps with each channel is ground loops. If you experience any serious hum you may have to add a DI box or two to isolate the amps from the board.

Gary ;)
Thanks!
Awesome!
Will do.
It’s no problem if I need to get a DI. I have one for my bass.
Here’s my half stack set up.
Bass players that also play keys have reported great results playing keys through this line of bass amp.
This is 220 watts through a 115. There’s a horn I can turn on, too.
I think left hand bass would sound awesome through this!
B8AA6387-CE9E-49A9-89E8-ACBCBB7008E1.jpeg

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Another really nice feature of the Juno DS is left and right hand sliders to control the individual volumes of splits. :) Makes it easy to set the levels directly from the keyboard.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Another really nice feature of the Juno DS is left and right hand sliders to control the individual volumes of splits. :) Makes it easy to set the levels directly from the keyboard.

Gary ;)
Thanks, Gary!
That's another really important pro. I'd really like to be able to split the board and use it like two smaller keyboards.
As you can tell, I'm really excited about the split setup and it seems like the Juno dominates here.
I was thinking maybe a Roland KC-200 for the right hand side amp.

Reaction score
What now appears very important to you is the keyboard Split.

Or rather that the Split really does that with the outputs as well ie left split to left channel and right split to right channel with no crossover.

Even with a keyboard split I would expect that the sound of say a Bass in the played in the left split to still be in Stereo and not the Mono Left that you desire.

You will need to confirm that this can be achieved with each keyboard on your shortlist.

Reaction score
Even with a keyboard split I would expect that the sound of say a Bass in the played in the left split to still be in Stereo and not the Mono Left that you desire.

You will need to confirm that this can be achieved with each keyboard on your shortlist.
I had a sneaky look at the Kross user manual and you can definitely pan your sounds 100% left or right in Combi mode so OP should be good here.

I can't speak for the other 'boards at this point - checked the Korg because I was confident it might be doable (I've done it with the Krome before) and I knew it would be an easy find - I'm a lot more conversant with Korg's way of doing things than the other 'boards mentioned here.

Reaction score
The fact that it seems the most user friendly in the left hand bass format is a huge pro for the Juno and might make the decision.
Yes, the Juno is one of the best choices for being able to change RH sounds glitch-free while playing LH bass, and independently control which RH sound is playing, its octave setting, and its volume separate from the bass volume. The Casio PX360 is probably the only other 88 in your price range that might do a comparably good job in this respect.

If I understand what you're saying correctly, it should be no problem on any board that lets you pan sounds (in a split/layered combination) to one side or the other. Especially since most sounds (including bass) are inherently mono to begin with. Though you may have to take care to avoid routing your sounds through stereo effects.

Reaction score
Thanks Paul and Scott for that info, it is something I have not tried to do on my Kross 2.

After a look through the manual ( which if you remember I have likened to being written in Klingon and translated in sequence into all other languages before it finally makes it into English ) which is as clear as mud.

I did have a play with a new Combi of Bass in left and Grand Piano in right and in the Mixer tab I adjusted the Pan of each instrument.

It sort of worked but there is definitely a bleed through on its opposite channel for each instrument sound.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
One more point for the Juno.

The Roland manuals are readable English.

Korg manuals are useful for supporting a wobbly table :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I did have a play with a new Combi of Bass in left and Grand Piano in right and in the Mixer tab I adjusted the Pan of each instrument.

It sort of worked but there is definitely a bleed through on its opposite channel for each instrument sound.
Two things to try:

...disabling any stereo effect (a global stereo master reverb would be one likely culprit for creating such leakage)

...selecting a mono grand piano instead of a stereo one. (Bass sound should already be mono.)

One thing I've noticed is that the manuals for the products from Korg Italy (like the PA series arrangers) tend to be better than those for the products from Korg Japan (like the Krome/Kross/Kronos workstations).

Reaction score
Two things to try:

...disabling any stereo effect (a global stereo master reverb would be one likely culprit for creating such leakage)

...selecting a mono grand piano instead of a stereo one. (Bass sound should already be mono.)

One thing I've noticed is that the manuals for the products from Korg Italy (like the PA series arrangers) tend to be better than those for the products from Korg Japan (like the Krome/Kross/Kronos workstations).

Cheers Scott

I did not look if the K2 had automatically applied any Fx when I created the Split. Will check it out tomorrow.

You are so right about the manuals, the one fir my PA is light years better than the one fir the Kross.

Reaction score
What now appears very important to you is the keyboard Split.
Yes.
This thread has really made me think about what I want out of a keyboard. It has made me understand what a keyboard can do and how that correlates to price. Now that I've adjusted my expectations and price point, it seems possible for me to get one board that will do everything I want it to. This is even more important now that I've been realizing that this doubles the number of instruments and amps I have to lug to and from practices and gigs and make room for in the house. One bass rig and one keyboard rig might have to do me for a while! :)

Yes, the Juno is one of the best choices for being able to change RH sounds glitch-free while playing LH bass, and independently control which RH sound is playing, its octave setting, and its volume separate from the bass volume.
Since this is the feature I'm most excited about, this puts the Juno back in first place. I've really got an image in my head now of what kind of key player I'd like to be. Left hand bass is going to be a huge/the main part of it. I was a big fan of the Doors when I was younger. I also always admired how John Paul Jones from Led Zeppelin (who was an amazing bass player) would play left hand bass when he moved to the keys. I'd like to try my own (very much less talented) interpretation of this.

The Casio PX360 is probably the only other 88 in your price range that might do a comparably good job in this respect.
I don't think I can go back to the idea of a digital piano now. I think I may regret not having the flexibility of sounds I could find in the Juno, Kross 2 or even the MX88.

Thanks Paul and Scott for that info, it is something I have not tried to do on my Kross 2.

After a look through the manual ( which if you remember I have likened to being written in Klingon and translated in sequence into all other languages before it finally makes it into English ) which is as clear as mud.

Well, if you can figure out how to block the cut offs or make the Kross 2 as user friendly as the Juno is for two way splits, please let me know. That's what's keeping it out of first place.

Reaction score
Yes the Korg cut off sucks but for me it is not a big deal, changing the Program or Combi is all about timing and for any musician it is a piece of pi55 or it should be.

I have Programs and Combis programmed into the Favourites where a single touch of the appropriate Pad button brings up the required Program or Combi, so it is all about timing as to when to push the Pad, I suggest that you add this to your test out in store list.

In store check out how easy it is to record and store a Sequence in your shortlisted keyboards for call up if this feature is going to be important.

BTW creating a split with a Bass in the left hand with a Kross is as simple as pressing one button, with any Program active press the Split button and its job done, test this out in store when you audition the keyboards.

OK, at this point I am no dissing the Juno it is a very capable board, but as I suggested previously it's the Pros and Cons of each shortlisted keyboard that will matter in the end so I would not get hung up on specifics at this point.

In store do have the Sales staff go though your requirements with other keyboards that are in excess of the price of those on your actual shortlist since there are other keyboards that may be a better fit for your needs.

We cannot say which keyboard will be best for your use, only you can decide based on actually trying them.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, I hope by now the original poster has downloaded the manuals for all three on his shortlist and started evaluating features himself?

That really is the first step before buying a board. Even before going to a music store for a test drive.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Yes the Korg cut off sucks but for me it is not a big deal, changing the Program or Combi is all about timing and for any musician it is a piece of pi55 or it should be.

I have Programs and Combis programmed into the Favourites where a single touch of the appropriate Pad button brings up the required Program or Combi, so it is all about timing as to when to push the Pad, I suggest that you add this to your test out in store list.

In store check out how easy it is to record and store a Sequence in your shortlisted keyboards for call up if this feature is going to be important.

BTW creating a split with a Bass in the left hand with a Kross is as simple as pressing one button, with any Program active press the Split button and its job done, test this out in store when you audition the keyboards.

OK, at this point I am no dissing the Juno it is a very capable board, but as I suggested previously it's the Pros and Cons of each shortlisted keyboard that will matter in the end so I would not get hung up on specifics at this point.

In store do have the Sales staff go though your requirements with other keyboards that are in excess of the price of those on your actual shortlist since there are other keyboards that may be a better fit for your needs.

We cannot say which keyboard will be best for your use, only you can decide based on actually trying them.
Saturday is the big day!
You're right. That could change everything.
It'll be nice to have a lot of the research done beforehand so I can focus on the visceral fun part of checking out instruments. There's always the possibility that I could just have that instant reaction to one board or another.

BTW, I hope by now the original poster has downloaded the manuals for all three on his shortlist and started evaluating features himself?

That really is the first step before buying a board. Even before going to a music store for a test drive.

Gary ;)
Ha ha!
Point well taken.
He is working his way through them as we speak and will be ready for Saturday. :D
(I found a 149 page one for the Kross!)

I really appreciate the feedback from this forum though. A lot of the info in the user manual will probably make more sense once I have a keyboard and try to use it.

I'm not going to focus so much on the Privia, so outside of the Kross 2, Juno DS88 and Yamaha MX88, are there any others I should have an eye out for?

Reaction score
Just a reminder to watch the manufacturers own video tutorials for the keyboards as many times as you can before Saturday.

O/Ding on the tutorials will stand you in good stead for your hands on sessions on Saturday.

Good luck.

Reaction score

Gary ;)
This ended up not being a joke!
At least at 22 pages, the Roland manual seems possible. It may just be because for some reason I feel drawn to the Juno. I'm trying to get into an impartial headspace for Saturday.

Just a reminder to watch the manufacturers own video tutorials for the keyboards as many times as you can before Saturday.

O/Ding on the tutorials will stand you in good stead for your hands on sessions on Saturday.

Good luck.
Thank you!
I had gotten into the Korg ones a while back. Now I'll check the other two.

I have to admit that this is pretty intimidating from the point of view of someone that had no knowledge of keyboards.

The good news is that I have time. I can research, then go to the stores Saturday then come back and research some more.

Ask a Question