CD to USB

Reaction score
I used an open source CD Ripper called Asunder to rip my entire collection of over 1000 CDs 2 years ago.

At a rate of about 6 to 8 per day while I watched TV, they took about 15 minutes apiece to rip over a span of about 3 or 4 months.

The program also automatically downloads the MP3 Tag Info from Musicbrainz. org while setting up Artist and Title Folders for each CD.

Really, once you've set your preferences a chimp could learn how to do it.

Nowadays I have about a dozen backup copies of my entire collection on my computers and Micro-SD cards.

I keep a portable HiFi MP3 player in my jacket pocket whenever I go out.

I know it's a pain in the ass and I put it off for years and years but I'll never have to do that many at once again and adding new CD's is no bother at all.

Gary ;)
Yup! This is just one of those things that I need to get around to doing. However, it interferes with my procrastination and laziness!
Looks like I'll have to find Asunder. Maybe Torn asunder! Right now I'm just using Windows Media Player.

Reaction score
My suggestion to anyone intending to rip their CD collection would be to try ripping some of your favourite tracks multiple times where each time you use a different recording rate ie 192, 256, 320 and WAV.

Then play them on the devices that you will listen to them on.

If you have chosen a mix of song styles and those with a wide dynamic range you will soon hear the difference in quality and then determine the best setting for your needs.

Reaction score
New cars these days don't have cd players. They have a jack for a USB memory stick. My new car is one of those (Hyundia SUV)
So now I have to scrap my CD's for a new generation format of which I cannot quite understand yet.
I love playing my cd's on a safe road trip automobile gun. But now I can't! :eek: Shock horror!
So I had to go out and buy a memory stick. Now I have to load all of my treasured cd's into my PC hard drive. They call it "ripping". Then I have to plug in the memory stick thingy into my PC and copy what I just ripped.
What a pain!o_O. I have dozens of favourite cd's. This process is slow and tedious.
Is there a quicker, easier way?
Also another question . . I have some fantastic live performances on music dvd's. Can I load these tunes (sound only) onto a stick and play in my car?
Sorry if the questions are dumb but I am so far adrift from computer technology and there are no 10 year olds I can ask:D Therfore I am appealing to the intelligent ones here on this forum for some off topic advice.
Thanks . . Ray
Exactly. Time is passing on a very fast speed. We have grown up. BTW congratulations for your Hyundai SUV. Old songs were amazing. I used to play my playlist when I work.

Reaction score
I bought a few months ago, a 2017 Ford Edge SUV. It has a cd player but of course it has USBs too and the screen. I know I can see the titles etc of songs on CDs. I'll try and remember to test a USB on it to see if the menu shows me the songs and if I can click on them from the screen. I might even be able to use voice commands to get it to play songs from the USB. That would be amusing! I like the voice commands for calling on my iPhone. Less eyes off the road, if you know what I mean.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Smart Phones Make Dumb Drivers!!!!!!!

cellphone.jpg

Reaction score
Smart Phones Make Dumb Drivers!!!!!!!

View attachment 2454
Haaa! Love it! I work in Pickering about 20 minutes from my home. I take the 401 which is a BIG highway. I used to, once in a while see this Chinese girl driving erratically because she was taking on her cell phone. She was holding it flat in her hand while she was using it. She was also one of those people who need to wave their hands around while they talk. This meant that quite frequently she wouldn't have any hands on the steering wheel at all! I'd wait until she had drifted to one side and the scoot past her on the other just to get away! I haven't seen her in a few years now although back then I'd see her about once every other week for a bunch of months. Wonder what happened? Hope nobody else was hurt.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I seriously believe that smart phones are going to be the death of human civilization as we knew it.

Reaction score
I seriously believe that smart phones are going to be the death of human civilization as we knew it.
I think you're onto something. I tend to believe that between medical and political correctness, we've stopped evolving. We now coddle the weak and essentially stupid and allow them to breed instead of removing them from the gene-pool. I don't know how many times I've had to hammer the brakes because some moron decided to step out onto the street without taking their eyes off of their bloody phones. I guess it's almost a good thing I'm not in power. Because I'd make it totally legal to run them over! Hell, I'd even give you a reward!

Reaction score
I think you're onto something. I tend to believe that between medical and political correctness, we've stopped evolving. We now coddle the weak and essentially stupid and allow them to breed instead of removing them from the gene-pool. I don't know how many times I've had to hammer the brakes because some moron decided to step out onto the street without taking their eyes off of their bloody phones. I guess it's almost a good thing I'm not in power. Because I'd make it totally legal to run them over! Hell, I'd even give you a reward!
Sorry Jeremy you have it a bit wrong.

We have not stopped evolving we are actually de-evolving.

At least that seems to be the case over here, walk out anywhere and there are hoards of people with their heads buried in their mobiles walking around not talking to each other.

Tik Tok is their source of all information and nothing else matters.

Grandson and his Dad, preCovid even went to an Arena Concert of an Influencer, it was full of 20,000 adoring fans.

Last time we were in a Cafe there was Grandma, Daughter and three teenage Grandkids, only Grandma was not on their mobile and she looked well and truly pi55ed.

Our Daughter and Grandkids are banned from using their mobiles to browse and message in our presence.

Smartphones are the tool of the devil but going back to 2004 when we were last in the USA we had smartphones and text messaging but in Florida mobiles were used as walkie talkies with everyone having them in group mode and all shouting into their mobiles, it was audible chaos.

Reaction score

At least that seems to be the case over here, walk out anywhere and there are hoards of people with their heads buried in their mobiles walking around not talking to each other.

Grandson and his Dad, preCovid even went to an Arena Concert of an Influencer, it was full of 20,000 adoring fans.

Last time we were in a Cafe there was Grandma, Daughter and three teenage Grandkids, only Grandma was not on their mobile and she looked well and truly pi55ed.

Our Daughter and Grandkids are banned from using their mobiles to browse and message in our presence.

Smartphones are the tool of the devil but going back to 2004 when we were last in the USA we had smartphones and text messaging but in Florida mobiles were used as walkie talkies with everyone having them in group mode and all shouting into their mobiles, it was audible chaos.
I did a test with a USB memory stick in my car just now and yes, the display does show you a list of all the songs on your stick and you can just tap on it to make it play what ever song you choose. Handy but I'm still from the old school and simply prefer a cd. I guess one of these days I'll crawl kicking and screaming into the 29th century. BUT I WON'T LIKE IT!

Reaction score

This is not all that dissimilar to a trip that my wife and I took. We rented a cottage on Lake Huron and took my daughter and her to children with us. We thought we'd do the nice thing and treat them to a vacation. After we had picker the 3 of them up it took about 20 minutes to realize that we had made a big mistake. My daughter decided to tune out by listening to music on her phone whilte the kids squabbled over who gets to play with the annoying digital gadget. It's a 5 hour drive. Daughter has her ear buds plugged in. Kids are fighting. Wife is getting irritated and I'm seriously thinking about aborting the whole vacation. Then, after 45 minutes, we get caught in a massive traffic jam due to construction. After an eternity or two we're out of the construction and moving forward again. I'm hungry! I need a bathroom!
We're out in the country and washrooms are few and far between. As well as places to eat. We eventually find a Subway and stop. Daughter has totally abdicated on all responsibilities over the kids and lets them run around bugging all the other customers. I have to put my foot down and coral the brats. " I don't like this!" "It's the wrong bread!" "It's got onions!". My patience is getting thin. Daughter's gone for a smoke. WE don't smoke so now the car is going to stink.
We get back on the road and I'm thinking about putting the stereo on. As loud as it can go! My gentle wife restrains me. Eventually, we get to the cottage. The trip has continued just he way it started. My wife and I unpack the car. The other three don't do a bloody thing to help. Oh, I almost forgot, on the way up, I bought alcohol. A lot of it! Once the car was parked, beer time for me and Strongbow for the wife. We got organized and sedated. We made supped and yes, my daughter did help but the kids didn't. Of course they also didn't like what we made but at this point, they could starve as far as I was concerned. Between the incessant whining, complaining and beyond irritating noises from their gadgets, I eventually lost it on them. Glad I did too!
My daughter was constantly on her cell phone ignoring her children and us. The hassles we put up with didn't really end until we dropped them off at their home 5 days later.
Never again will we do this!

Reaction score
Jeremy, your tale of woe is so familiar.

Our Daughter abdicated responsibility for her two kids when they were younger whenever we were all together. We took it it was her way of getting some inner peace from the constant squabbling, we took control and the kids soon learned via bribery, be good and good things happen, be bad and big bad Grandad gets angry, and they do not like it when I get angry (it was all show but it worked). BTW, Gadgets could be played with in the car but no sound.

Roll on a few years and its mobile time for them and like you we took Daughter and the Gkids to Scotland for a weeks holiday in a self catering lodge. Getting them off their mobiles was a task in itself, their mindset was …. I’m on holiday, I do nothing ….. tasks were given to the Gkids and many a time a stroppy annoyed brat slinked off to their bedroom. They did not learn, they constantly tried it on, you name it they tried to get out of it. Bless her but the Granddaughter wanted to cook a meal for us all, I took her shopping to get all the ingredients and she set about preparing and cooking. We ate late as it took her way longer to prep and cook than she allowed for and the Grandson balked at the state of the kitchen (disaster area is an understatement) for he was tasked with doing the washing up, retribution was sweet.

Reaction score
I know the gadgets could have the sound off. Remining them every 20 minutes or so just got to me. We had a marshmallow roast at he cottage but the grandson was too busy playing games on their laptop. After about half an hour we're packing it up. Then he gets all pissy because he missed out. I told him that's what happens when you decide your game is more important. No lesson learned sadly. On the drive ome I'd point out various things of interest, even a turtle at the side of the road. We'd drive for almost a minute before he'd clue in that he'd missed it. I just thought to myself something unprintable. Now of course they both have cell phones so I'll be damned before I take them anywhere ever again.

Reaction score
Indeed. And I think to a certain extent, the fault lies with the parents. Far too many used the TV and video games as babysitters.

Reaction score
The transition from one major media form to another is always awkward and time-consuming. Once you've done it, though, you can say "Ha!" to all the people who'd prefer you buy the same stuff over again.

Several years ago, I was taking an LP out of its sleeve (which I hadn't done for some time) when my young son came in and said, "Dad, what are those?" When I told him they contained music you could play, he said, "Come on! It's just a piece of plastic!"

Ask a Question