CD to USB

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually I've made 9 copies counting the 3 machines I've installed them on. 3 copies are going out to trusted friends and relatives for "safekeeping" ;)

Two copies are on thumb drives for my Roku boxes and one final copy on a thumb drive I'm hanging on to just for the sheer redundancy of it.

This weekend I'll also be doing full clonezilla backups of my systems for safety's sake, so I think I have the backup situation well in hand :)

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Okay! Okay! Yes!

Finally! I extracted the digit.
Started the process following all advice as above.

Using the MP3 tag.
I tried the lossless but it is too slow.

It all works.

Done 10 cd's now and about 400 to go.

Many thanks indeed to all . . especially Col and Gary.

HappyRay . . :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Congratulations on starting the project Ray.

Be advised it will take at least a few months assuming you can spend an hour or two per day on the project.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Once it's done, it's done for life.

Adding the occasional CD afterwards is a piece of cake.

And while you are doing it, don't forget to make backups of your work. Catastrophe is always just a spilled coffee cup away so make sure you have multiple backups at the end of each session.

Once it's done you'll enjoy the freedom of being able to carry your music along with you wherever you go in the world.

400 to 500 CDs should fit nicely on a 64 Gig Thumb Drive.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, I managed to do all of my ripping on a single USB DVDROM drive. Surprisingly it did not burn out after ripping just over 1000 CDs.

I used a Samsung but similar drives can be had on Amazon or Ebay for around $40 to $50.

https://www.amazon.com/External-NOLYTH-Superdrive-Compatible-Windows10/dp/B07GQS5J5L/

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Slim-Burner-DB65-888015471/dp/B00GCAYM1U/

https://www.amazon.com/ZenDrive-External-Compatible-BackItUp-included/dp/B076CY7PW5/

Avoid the really cheap $20 ones though. I bought one and it was really poor quality fit and finish.

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
And while you are doing it, don't forget to make backups of your work.

Backup?
Should I back up the library as stored in Windows (The ripped CD's)?
Or should I make one or two copies of the USB (The copied files)?

Maybe having copied files on the USB's I could just delete the Library from the PC?

What is best method for back up?

cheers
Ray

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Make multiple copies of the entire library as you go along on at least two or three USB drives while keeping the originals on your PC.

You'll end up wanting multiple copies for different media players around the home and at work anyway.

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Make multiple copies of the entire library as you go along on at least two or three USB drives while keeping the originals on your PC.
Thanks!
That is what I will do. Will buy some USB sticks for back up.

I am going to put my whole Jethro Tull collection (including pirated concerts) onto a separate USB.
More than 70 CD's in that lot alone. About 50 of them are legit commercial releases which I paid for.
cheers
Ray

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
For instance you could always put a couple of copies onto Micro SD cards to play in your and your wife's phones.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Best of luck @Rayblewit! It's a very worthwhile endeavour. I'll second the backup suggestion, always a good idea to have multiple copies of data (not just music). Hard drives fail all the time, it's just not worth the risk of losing all your data when they do.

Reaction score
Rather than get a mass of memory sticks/thumb drives if you do not have one buy a usb powered portable hard drive with a 2Tb capacity or greater.

I use a 4Tb portable to store all by Music, Photoshoped Images, Documents and also all my photo/video SD cards are backed up to this drive in addition it has the full Backup of the C drives on both my Laptop and my main PC. So a single large drive will be very useful for all your computing needs.

As Gary suggests, I also have my Music backed up to a store but mine is a 128Gb SD card. A second 128Gb SD card also has all my Music and it is in my car which has SD input slots for just this use.

If you are a bit unsure of using a PC and about ripping then I have a Youtube Channel where I have a mass of video tutorials that I have made, search Youtube for Biggles.

Being a bit of a nerd I backup the 4Tb weekly to another 4Tb drive that I keep on a shelf in my garage which is remote from my house, you cannot have to many copies of data but it does need to be logical and recorded in paperwork what you have done and when.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually I own 6 1-TB drives which I put into rotating service every month or so, performing clonezilla backups of 3 machines backed up twice on 2 of the drives. Then rotating thru the 6 drives in pairs on a monthly basis.

I also have several cheaper 500 GB and 250 GB USB HDDs on which I back up odds and ends from my home directories more frequently.

Biggles >>> Exactly how much bloody data do you have to back up that you require 4 TB capacities?

I can fit the entire OS and all of my user data for three machines onto a single 1TB drive with about 200 gigs to spare. Even the dual booting ones.

But all the same, 64 GB thumb drives are cheap these days and all Ray needs for 400 CDs is less than that capacity. A 2 TB USB drive would set him back as much as 4 or 5 64 GB sticks and then he'd be stuck with all his eggs in one basket again.

In fact, if he's looking for the cheapest possible storage for his music, then he should be looking at Micro SD cards. But NOT NO NAME CHEAPIES!!! Stick with name brands like Kingston or Sandisk. They're cheap enough these days.

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-microSD-SDCX10-64GB/dp/B009X0G304/

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-Traveler-Everything-Stromboli/dp/B0711XTLNV/

I'm currently using a mess of these drives at 128 GB capacity to store my entire collection.

I'd strongly recommend keeping at least triple backups on similar drives.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
To be as precise as Windows can my 4Tb hard drive is saying that I have used 2.51 Tb of its capacity.

That drive does not contain all the backups of my Video Editing Source Files and completed AVI’s, MP4, MPEG, Mov and disc image files etc which totals another 1.36 Tb that are backed up to some old drives that are not connected permanently (I have a hot swap drive tray in my PC)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Ah that explains it. Video is a huge leech on drive capacity.

Personally I don't do any video except my simple youtubes showcasing my music.

For the most part, my data is all audio. Ergo I can get by with less than a quarter of the capacity that you require.

Ray should adjust his purchases accordingly.

BTW, on my backup drives I maximize storage capacity by using compressed clonezilla images of my drives.

I own 3 computers which I backup monthly.

#1 is my main day to day computer consisting of a 1 TB drive with only Linux installed.

#2 is my studio computer, also a 1 TB drive dual booting Windows 7 and Linux.

#3 is my laptop I keep in my bedroom. 750 GB HDD dual booting Linux and windows 7 as well.

Using Clonezilla I can effectively image all three drives and store them on a single 1 TB USB drive with about 250 GB to spare.

If you really need to store that much video on your systems I'd suggest opening a paid cloud account to store all your stuff. :D

Gary ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah video takes up huge amout of disk space, even more as I now shoot in 4k.

Heard good things about Clonezilla, not tried it but if you are using it then it must be pretty good.

I have used Paragon which is a bit hit and miss but I used it only because the guy who taught the computer class before me had taught the not so young students to use it, my usual has been True Image and I make a full clone of the C drive on another hard drive and as the boot drive is in a tray it is a simple matter to swap over hard drives if I have a need.

I have Windows 7 on its own hard drive since it has my old Adobe Premiere Editing Software Suite installed on it and my new Windows 10 install is on yet another hard drive which does not like Premiere so I now use different editing software under Win 10.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I tried at least a half dozen other imaging programs before I settled on Clonezilla.

Every last one of them, including expensive stuff that I bought for good money let me down when it came to restores. One corrupt byte was enough to destroy the image and leave me high and dry on the restore.

With Clonezilla I've restored almost a dozen times over the past 15 years and never has it given me an "Image Corrupt. Cannot Proceed With Restore" error.

Since Clonezilla uses a command line shell interface, it's not the easiest to figure out the first few times, but once you get the hang of it, it's bar none the best image backup program I've ever seen or used.

As with everything else, there are tutorials on Youtube to help beginners figure out how to use it properly.

Mostly it's just a matter of selecting defaults anyway.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Wow! I just sat here and read this entire thread. I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to buy a car if it doesn't have a CD player in it.
Gary! How do you have the time to backup all your cd's?
I have about 500 and after my getting my wife and myself back and forth to work each day are lucky to have 4 hours before it's bedtime.
I'm only here right now because it's Friday evening.
And it's a sad day.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Jeremy,
Modern technolgy continually evolves and it is developing so fast that we are unaware of it's power to change our lifestyle. It comes around when you least expect it to bite us on the bum.
Cars without CD players is a simple example. We have to adapt or just hibernate and become recluses.

I choose to integrate and thankfully there are knowledgeable people here keeping abreast with the changes willing to guide me. Thanks @happyrat1 @SeaGtGruff and @Biggles . . .your guidance and advice is much appreciated.

So take heed @Jeremykeys . .
I also have 400 plus cd's and I love my road trips. Music is an essential aspect of driving keeping me sane and relaxed.

Wife and I have a planned trip (holiday) to our favourite river next month. The thought of a 6 hour drive without cd's prompted me to rejuvenate this project of ripping cd's and copying to usb.

Keep in mind Jeremy that of your 500 cd's . . I reckon only half of them are worthwhile for ripping. The other half could become obsolete. At least that is what I have decided with mine.

Cheers
Ray

Ask a Question