Changing the voice of a Roland FP30

Reaction score
IHi Folks

I want to try to emulate a Vox Continental on my FP30 but realise that I will need some kind of pedal (probably a guitar pedal). I thought of running the Pipe Organ voice through a compressor pedal, but does anyone else have any other suggestions?

And for the record, buying a Vox (or Nord) is out of the question!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You could always hook up your Roland as a MIDI controller to a computer and drive a soft synth organ voice. There are plenty available out there both for free and for a price.

You can also expand your Roland's capabilities by adding a hardware rack module or two.

Roland makes excellent key actions so really all that's missing is the electronics for the voices. Those can easily be added to any MIDI keyboard or controller to sound like almost absolutely anything you can imagine.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Good suggestion by Gary.

As an alternative, not sure if you're keen/able to get yourself another keyboard, but if you're going to be doing organ sounds regularly, you might want to grab something else to supplement your FP-30. Not only for the sounds, but I assume the FP-30 has a weighted hammer action which wouldn't be ideal for organ.

Nords are fantastic, but not cheap, as you've outlined. But if you could stretch yourself to getting something like a VR-09 I think you'd be very happy with the organ sounds, including transistor organs like the Vox.

Reaction score
Thanks for these, I'll look into Gary's suggestion and try the free option first, but the VR-09 does look like a good alternative to the Nord C2 (at a quarter of the price!).

Reaction score
You could always hook up your Roland as a MIDI controller to a computer and drive a soft synth organ voice. There are plenty available out there both for free and for a price.

Cheers for this Gary, I now have a software Vox Continental and Farfisa Combo for FL Studio and they sound great. For anyone else wanting to find one, here is a link to the Vox I am using (I also got the Farfisa from here as well):

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=1004.

They seem to have loads of free stuff for DAW's, so I will be exploring further (once I have figured out how to use FL Studio:confused:)

Now I just need to try to save for a VR-09 (or something more expensive if I can) for a physical version...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Happy to hear that you like the most economical solution Marten.

Of course there's still no substitute for a decent hardware synth when you're out gigging.

And don't underrate rack modules. All the reliability of hardware without the extra baggage to lug around.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question