Choosing My First Keyboard

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
The PX-860 has 18 preset tones and 0 user tones; the PX-560 has 650 preset tones and 400 user tones.

Going back to the polyphony question, the 256 note polyphony of the PX-560 would be much more useful than the same polyphony on the 860. Unlike the 860, the 560 can access those preset tones and user tones on all 16 MIDI channels. This means that you can use the 560 to play a full recorded arrangement of a piece. And THAT'S when polyphony matters.

So with the 560, you've got a good electric piano that can do so much more (similar to my DGX-650). You just have to decide if the extra cost matches the value of the extra capabilities. And that's something only you can decide.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Frankly I think we've all covered all the fertile ground in the debate between electronic vs acoustic pianos in this discussion pretty well already.

What remains is for the original poster to go out to some music stores and audition these differences in person so that he truly understands what we're talking about.

The act of banging out a few notes and chords requires no great degree of skill and if his audiophile spidey senses are any good at all he will immediately understand the differences between acoustic and electronic upon hearing it.

Only then will he truly be able to make any sort of informed decision.

Crappy youtube videos will only take you so far if you are trying to capture lightning in a bottle. :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I visited a store last night and I had a less than stellar experience. It felt very used car salesman and they were pushing financing pretty hard. Anyhow, I got a chance to see several pianos and some digital pianos. Without a doubt, I prefer the acoustic. The resonance alone elevates the music to a completely different level.

The process of finding a quality used piano is both tedious and highly danger prone. I may still end up going with a digital piano if my local used piano scene is going through a drought. I'm just dying to get started. I can't thank you fine folks enough for taking the time to help walk me through figuring this out. Thank you very, very much ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Take heart. Moving season is coming up soon. There should be plenty of used pianos and spinets out there any day now.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question