Chorus Button

Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question but...

My old stage piano had a 'chorus' button that made pianos & e pianos sound awesome for songs such as 80s ballads.

I can't find this feature on my PA4X. I'm guessing it has this ability, but it's probably hidden in more complex settings with more adjustability.

Anybody know?

Reaction score
Not a dumb question at all.

Korg term their version as Ensemble, and it is not just a doubling up of sound with a slight delay.

There are a whole mass of selectable parameters that can be assigned.

Page 159 of v3.1 of the manual will guide you through the various options that you can select to apply.

Reaction score
You can get a chorus effect by slightly detuning, ex. take two piano layers , adjust the pitch of one layer 1cent up and the pitch of the 2nd layer 1 cent down, in total they are two cents apart but blend to be on pitch in sum. The only potential issue is polyphony since now with each key strike you are playing two piano layers at a time instead of one, so your polyphony (the number of voices your keyboard can play at one time) is cut in half. If your current program already uses two layers of piano samples then there is no additional polyphony demands then you would currently have.

Reaction score
You can get a chorus effect by slightly detuning, ex. take two piano layers , adjust the pitch of one layer 1cent up and the pitch of the 2nd layer 1 cent down, in total they are two cents apart but blend to be on pitch in sum. The only potential issue is polyphony since now with each key strike you are playing two piano layers at a time instead of one, so your polyphony (the number of voices your keyboard can play at one time) is cut in half. If your current program already uses two layers of piano samples then there is no additional polyphony demands then you would currently have.

Tried this and it works pretty well. Thanks for the tip!

Reaction score
Not a dumb question at all.

Korg term their version as Ensemble, and it is not just a doubling up of sound with a slight delay.

There are a whole mass of selectable parameters that can be assigned.

Page 159 of v3.1 of the manual will guide you through the various options that you can select to apply.

I think I found it. It's actually in the 'FX' section, where you can add effects like reverb and chorus. As I expected, there's a ton of options to choose from!

But I did read through the ensemble section as well and that does seem useful. I've tried pushing it a few times but I was never quite sure what it did.

Ask a Question