Comparison . . E and S

Reaction score
Interesting, but hardly fair as there is a large price difference between the top E series and bottom S series models. The next model in the S series is the S775 and it is one that I have played.

This is a Yamaha S775 v a Korg PA700

I test played both before I bought but here Youtube videos belie the actual differences you will feel in a Music Shop. I found that the Yamaha sound quality vastly inferior to the Korg with a sharper more shrill tone throughout the instrument sounds where the Korg sounds were richer and fuller.

It was like the Yamaha sound sampling lab was a concrete bunker where Korg sampling took place in a properly designed audio suite.

It is one of the reasons why I dislike Yamaha, buyers get hooked in the brand when a much superior keyboard is out there for many of the keyboards in the Yamaha range.

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
It’s too bad he didn’t go more into the actual features and controls and how they compare.

Reaction score
The jamming group that I used to go to before I mangled my wrist had a member who had an S 6xx and where I pushed one button on my Korg to load the Song Registration including Style/Tempo/Fx etc she had a lot of buttons to press to get to the same state.

Not sure if that was just a lack of understanding on their part of how to operate their keyboard or indeed if the keyboard had the ability to do just that.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
My understanding is that there's three or four ways you can do that on the PSR-S models:

(1) You can edit the style you're going to use for a given song so it has four OTS setups for the R1/R2/L voices you want to use while playing that style.

(2) You can create a Music Finder entry for a given song name that will automatically select a particular style, set the tempo, and set up the R1/R2/L voices.

(3) You can create a registration that will recall a particular setup.

(4) You can use an app such as Songbook+, or other external hardware or software, to send MIDI messages that select the voices, effects, and other parameter settings you want to use.

I take it there are some differences in the benefits and limitations of each method. And on some models you can recall a registration by sending appropriate Bank and Program values-- like the way you can recall a Performance on a synth-- although I don't think you can do that on the PSR-S6xx models.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Col . .
I didn't intend this thread to be a debate on which brand is better.
I was merely showing that there are markets for both classes within the one brand. As the narrator explains.

Whether Korg is a better option is irrespective of this exercise..

No offence man but please don't rock my boat. . . lol.

It’s too bad he didn’t go more into the actual features and controls and how they compare.

There are series of vids by this "gearfacts" guru. He does features on individual makes and models. Worth seaching his library of vids.

Cheers Ray

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I pushed one button on my Korg to load the Song Registration including Style/Tempo/Fx etc she had a lot of buttons to press to get to the same state.
On the Yamaha S models .
It is one button to select bank (there are 8 banks) and one button to select song (1 - 8 again)
Simple!

Reaction score
Michael.

Thanks for the info, it looks just a lack of knowledge of just how to use the keyboard that is her problem.

I will try to explain to her next time I go to a jamming session which will be a few months off.

Ray.

No offence taken, but you did start a Comparson Tread.

I mearly pointed out my own comparison and that relying on Youtube for audio quality is not necessarily going to give you what you hear when you play the instruments yourself in a store.

Probably if I played my Korg or a similar one in a store in comparison to a S 9xx or a Genos then the result would be different.

I know that I like the sound out if a Yamaha MODX just not its operating system.

Ask a Question