Confusion about this Yamaha keyboard

Reaction score
Dear Sir,

I'm looking at the Yamaha NP-V80 keyboard. This part of the Amazon review is very confusing to me:

"One other reviewed has mentioned that this keyboard doesn't have true midi ports on the back. This is correct. However, you can use PC sequencing packages via USB if you want to do that so it is a good controller keyboard in the application. The only time the lack of midi would become an issue would be if you wanted to connect it directly to a hardware sequencer (unlikely) or an external sound module (possibly). If this is the case, look elsewhere. For 90% of people, this is a winner."

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-rev...iewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Could you pls tell about the lack of "true midi ports at the back". What does it mean?

Basically, I would like to connect this keyboard to my computer and use it with a software like Cubase or Finale. Can I do that?

Thank you.

Reaction score
In short, yes you can do that. Most newer keyboards don't have MIDI IN - MIDI OUT ports anymore but a USB-B connector. It works the same, You can use a simple USB-printercable to connect to you computer and usually it is Plug And Play and you don't need specific drivers.
You have to tell the software (DAW) however that you are using a USB device in the setup.
That way connected you can play midi's on your computer and hear the sound coming trough your keyboard.
Hope this answers your question.

Regards
DickR

The Y_man

Reaction score
Could you pls tell about the lack of "true midi ports at the back". What does it mean?

As per DickR's post above - connecting to a computer is easier than ever.

The issue you have is when connecting to other keyboards, you need to go through a computer, where in the past with "true" midi ports, you could conenct keyboards directly together (you might want to do this when you want sound from 2 or more keyboards simultaneously by just playing on the "master" keyboard.

The Y-man

Reaction score
Thanks. So far, I don't think I need to connect two keyboards together. So it seems USB connection is good enough.

Reaction score
:)
Dear Sir,

I'm looking at the Yamaha NP-V80 keyboard. This part of the Amazon review is very confusing to me:

"One other reviewed has mentioned that this keyboard doesn't have true midi ports on the back. This is correct. However, you can use PC sequencing packages via USB if you want to do that so it is a good controller keyboard in the application. The only time the lack of midi would become an issue would be if you wanted to connect it directly to a hardware sequencer (unlikely) or an external sound module (possibly). If this is the case, look elsewhere. For 90% of people, this is a winner."

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-rev...iewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Basically, I would like to connect this keyboard to my computer and use it with a software like Cubase or Finale. Can I do that?

Thank you.

Yep...like the others said just use the usb port and connect your pc to it. The pc software takes care if the midi. By the way I have the nvp-80 and its a nice keyboard.;)

Ask a Question