Control auto-accompaniment of arranger keyboard via Midi?

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a newcomer here with a question:

I'm an acoustic guitarist/singer looking to add some backing drums to my one-man band setup. Back in the day, I used to play the Roland G800 & G1000 arranger keyboards which I felt had a pretty solid set of user-styles with many variations, intros/outros, fills, etc. Over time, I also created several user-styles which fit my music. These are not pre-sequenced tracks, so they give me the flexibility to repeat a line or play spontaneous leads if I feel like it.

My question is this: Do modern arranger keyboards (Korg, Yamaha, Roland, etc.) allow these arranger functions to be controlled by a MIDI foot-controller like the
Behringer Foot Controller FCB1010? It comes with 10-12 foot buttons and a couple of expressions pedals as well. What I'd like is to map each foot button to a different arranger function, e.g., button 1 starts the beat, 2 triggers a fill, 3 leads to the outro, etc. I'm guessing this has to be through MIDI messages, but don't know a whole lot more.

Are there standard MIDI messages to be sent for this? I read somewhere about the NTA (Note-to-Arranger) message, but don't find much information. Thanks in advance for any guidance or suggestions.

Cheers,

Joe

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Some arranger keyboards let you control their auto accompaniments by external MIDI messages, but some do not. For example, the Yamaha PSR-S models do, but the PSR-E models do not, although you can control them by internal MIDI messages. I don't know about other brands, so you'd need to check their manuals.

With the Yamaha PSR-S models, you can send System Exclusive messages to the keyboard to select the particular style, trigger the specific style variation and section, and send the key and chord changes. I'm not sure how much of that can be programmed into a foot controller or other MIDI controller.

Whether or not your keyboard lets you control its auto accompaniments remotely by MIDI, if it's feasible to use a computer, laptop, or tablet in your performance setup then you can trigger MIDI loops in your DAW and sequence the data to your keyboard. Ableton Live is particularly known for that type of loop-triggering capability, but other DAWs have that capability as well, such as Acoustica Mixcraft and Bitwig Studio.

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your answer. I'm looking at the Roland EA-7 auto-arranger keyboard. These keyboards arranger use "styles" to logically group variations/intros/fills. For example, the Blues-8 style will have 4 variations with increasingly complex drum/bass lines, 3 fills, some intros/outros, etc. My idea is to pick a style from the keyboard, and then use the foot-pedal to trigger these as needed during my live guitar performance. i don't even care so much about chord/key changes, I just want the drum sections.

Hopefully, the System Exclusive message approach will connect - I believe Roland keyboards also have this in their MIDI implementation. I will certainly give it a shot - thanks again!

Reaction score
Might be worth checking out the Yamaha MFC 10 multi function foot pedal, which can be programmed as the user requires, with various keyboard functions.
Just a thought.

Reaction score
I am pretty sure that this has been asked over on the Korg Forum as Korg's own footswich is only compatable with the top of the range Pa4X hence users of the Pa1000 and Pa700 were looking at alternatives.

A search over there may yield results as will a search on a keyboard make specific forum where members have already done the donkey work with their keyboards and a pedal board.

What will function and how it needs to be set up will depend upon which Arranger you have in mind.

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a newcomer here with a question:

I'm an acoustic guitarist/singer looking to add some backing drums to my one-man band setup. Back in the day, I used to play the Roland G800 & G1000 arranger keyboards which I felt had a pretty solid set of user-styles with many variations, intros/outros, fills, etc. Over time, I also created several user-styles which fit my music. These are not pre-sequenced tracks, so they give me the flexibility to repeat a line or play spontaneous leads if I feel like it.

My question is this: Do modern arranger keyboards (Korg, Yamaha, Roland, etc.) allow these arranger functions to be controlled by a MIDI foot-controller like the
Behringer Foot Controller FCB1010? It comes with 10-12 foot buttons and a couple of expressions pedals as well. What I'd like is to map each foot button to a different arranger function, e.g., button 1 starts the beat, 2 triggers a fill, 3 leads to the outro, etc. I'm guessing this has to be through MIDI messages, but don't know a whole lot more.

Are there standard MIDI messages to be sent for this? I read somewhere about the NTA (Note-to-Arranger) message, but don't find much information. Thanks in advance for any guidance or suggestions.

Cheers,

Joe

Hello. I was looking for an answer to this question also and I found this YouTube video which may help .
Maybe you've already found an answer , but I hope that it helps anyway .
Regards, Kieron.

Reaction score
Hi
i use the rip chord in a daw to get the effect trough the pedal.Pl get in touch with me at (e-mail address removed) if you need further help.
sonny john

Ask a Question