Having issues with Icon 6x MIDI Controller

Reaction score
So, I bought the Icon 6x MIDI Controller, thinking i would plugin it into my computer, and play on FL Studio (so naive of me). Turns out it doesn't pop up on my MIDI input list on FL Studio, even though the keyboard lights are on.

1) I change it to another USB port, and it shows up now on FL Studio. But it doesn't make a sound.
2) I saw a video published by ICON itself, setting up the very same controller. LINK:
3) I do as they said, install the "firmware upgrade" or whatever, and the controller doesn't even turn on, now.
4) When i plug it into my pc, it detects it, but with a different name now, "iCON firmware upgrade v1.00". Before it showed up as "iCon iKeyboard 6x" (just like in the video).

Did I just throw 130$ out the window? Lol.

As someone experienced this kind of thing? Help me, please.

Thanks in advance!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
First, I'll offer a couple of comments which might fall under the category of "too late to help" now that you've tried to update the firmware:

(1) Computers can have USB ports which are different versions-- USB 2 and USB 3. It seems that many keyboards and USB audio interfaces are designed to work best with USB 2, in which case they might have problems working correctly with USB 3. You can check the manual for your keyboard to see whether it says anything about USB 2 versus USB 3, but I'm thinking that you may have connected the keyboard to a USB 3 port the first time (when the keyboard wouldn't show up in FL Studio), then to a USB 2 port (when it did show up).

(2) When you connect a MIDI keyboard to a computer and play on its keys, sometimes your DAW or other software might not generate any sounds in response to the keyboard unless everything is set up as required. For instance, in a DAW you generally need to add a MIDI track and configure its settings so it knows to receive MIDI data from the keyboard and forward (transmit) the MIDI data to either the DAW's built-in soft synth, a plug-in, or an external device which will generate the sounds. If no destination is specified for generating sounds, the MIDI data may just go to the track for recording purposes without making any sounds. Additionally, even if you do have a destination selected for generating sounds, you might need to "arm" the track for recording before the DAW will let the MIDI data flow from the source (keyboard) to the destination (plug-in or whatever), which some people like to refer to as enabling "MIDI Thru" on the track since it's similar to what MIDI Thru does on a keyboard or synth.

In any case, I'm not familiar with that keyboard controller, and I can't tell from your description whether there was a problem with installing the firmware update, although it does sound as if the update might not have completed. Your best bet as far as the firmware update would be to contact the manufacturer for help. Hopefully it's just a matter of doing the firmware update successfully.

Reaction score
First, I'll offer a couple of comments which might fall under the category of "too late to help" now that you've tried to update the firmware:

(1) Computers can have USB ports which are different versions-- USB 2 and USB 3. It seems that many keyboards and USB audio interfaces are designed to work best with USB 2, in which case they might have problems working correctly with USB 3. You can check the manual for your keyboard to see whether it says anything about USB 2 versus USB 3, but I'm thinking that you may have connected the keyboard to a USB 3 port the first time (when the keyboard wouldn't show up in FL Studio), then to a USB 2 port (when it did show up).

(2) When you connect a MIDI keyboard to a computer and play on its keys, sometimes your DAW or other software might not generate any sounds in response to the keyboard unless everything is set up as required. For instance, in a DAW you generally need to add a MIDI track and configure its settings so it knows to receive MIDI data from the keyboard and forward (transmit) the MIDI data to either the DAW's built-in soft synth, a plug-in, or an external device which will generate the sounds. If no destination is specified for generating sounds, the MIDI data may just go to the track for recording purposes without making any sounds. Additionally, even if you do have a destination selected for generating sounds, you might need to "arm" the track for recording before the DAW will let the MIDI data flow from the source (keyboard) to the destination (plug-in or whatever), which some people like to refer to as enabling "MIDI Thru" on the track since it's similar to what MIDI Thru does on a keyboard or synth.

In any case, I'm not familiar with that keyboard controller, and I can't tell from your description whether there was a problem with installing the firmware update, although it does sound as if the update might not have completed. Your best bet as far as the firmware update would be to contact the manufacturer for help. Hopefully it's just a matter of doing the firmware update successfully.
Thanks a lot for your response. You were of great help! I have e-mailed the manufactorers, and they said the firmware update probably didn't go as expected (maybe because of a power failure, which I have no idea how it happened), and the firmware was completely erased from the keyboard, so the keyboard can't trade information with the pc anymore. I'll have to send it back to the store I bought it from. Guess I'll have to wait another week...

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I checked the manufacturer's website, and while I didn't read the specs on the specific model you have, I was looking at one of their 88-key models. Its specs did indeed mention that it's USB 2 compatible, but mentioned nothing about USB 3, so I assume that your computer has both types of ports, and that you'd connected the keyboard to a USB 3 port the first time.

Hopefully my comments will help once you've received a replacement for your "bricked" keyboard. I'm not experienced with FL Studio, but on the few occasions when I've tried to use it I wasn't able to figure out how to play plug-ins in a "live" capacity ("MIDI Thru").

Reaction score
So, I bought the Icon 6x MIDI Controller, thinking i would plugin it into my computer, and play on FL Studio (so naive of me). Turns out it doesn't pop up on my MIDI input list on FL Studio, even though the keyboard lights are on.

1) I change it to another USB port, and it shows up now on FL Studio. But it doesn't make a sound.
2) I saw a video published by ICON itself, setting up the very same controller. LINK:
3) I do as they said, install the "firmware upgrade" or whatever, and the controller doesn't even turn on, now.
4) When i plug it into my pc, it detects it, but with a different name now, "iCON firmware upgrade v1.00". Before it showed up as "iCon iKeyboard 6x" (just like in the video).

Did I just throw 130$ out the window? Lol.

As someone experienced this kind of thing? Help me, please.

Thanks in advance!
When updating the iCON iKeyboard 6x controller through Mac OSx Catalina I had bug problems in iMap Editor in Upgrade Firmware mode. In a second attempt, I used a Windows 10 PC, during the last step of installing the Firmware for the latest version, the iMap Editor crashed with the message: “Not responding” and my controller no longer turns on, on the PC it appears as device “iCON firmware upgrade v1.00”. Please help me! Contact: +55 31997576645 / Email: (e-mail address removed)

Attachments

• IMG_0078.jpeg
    IMG_0078.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0079.jpeg
    IMG_0079.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 3

Ask a Question