Customizing My Keyboard

Reaction score
Hi, I have a basic Yamaha beginners keyboard with an input and output midi jack and I was wondering if there was any way to transferring sounds or "voices" to the keyboard through the computer. I have quite a few sounds such as cheap organ sounds and synth sounds, but I was wondering if there was any way of adding more to it?

Any help would be nice.

Thanks

Reaction score
Hi, I have a basic Yamaha beginners keyboard with an input and output midi jack and I was wondering if there was any way to transferring sounds or "voices" to the keyboard through the computer. I have quite a few sounds such as cheap organ sounds and synth sounds, but I was wondering if there was any way of adding more to it?

Any help would be nice.

Thanks

Unfortunately no. Only higher class keyboard support adding more sounds.

It's because most "new" sounds come with their own sample, for which you need RAM - a place to store the sample. When you've loaded your sample you can make your own sounds with it, or load a preset if the sample comes with it already.

Reaction score
Unfortunately no. Only higher class keyboard support adding more sounds.

It's because most "new" sounds come with their own sample, for which you need RAM - a place to store the sample. When you've loaded your sample you can make your own sounds with it, or load a preset if the sample comes with it already.

Hi. I've already asked questions about this but I'm still having a little trouble understanding it. Sorry.

OK let's say you have a Yamaha psr e400. It has a line-out that can connect to headphones or an amp, but no midi jack. (the one with all the holes in it.) Can you use a midi adapter?

Then you buy a box of computer software called "ethnic instruments" or something like that. These are MIDI samples that you store on your computer, right?

Soo.... you can't 'download' these sounds in to your keyboard memory, right?

If not, I'm wondering why these keyboards seem to have extra space for more 'voices'. Can you add the voices/presets/ethnic sounds if you're connected to your computer? Does your keyboard then function as a 'midi controller'?

Sorry to be so dense, I don't have my keyboard or samples yet so it's hard to understand. The reason I'm asking is, I really like those ethnic instruments!!

Reaction score
The thing with MIDI goes something like this...

If you have MIDI IN, and MIDI OUT on your keyboard, you CAN use your keyboard as a controller (master keyboard) or you can control that keyboard with another one (slave keyboard)

This works without any samples. The idea is to have sounds of one keyboard on another. MIDI is mainly used with racks. For example... you buy a MOTIF ES Rack (just the motif sounds) and you plug another keyboard to it and you can play motif sounds on your keyboard...

Now, about the samples... you CAN'T, and DON'T send samples via MIDI cables. If you have a SAMPLER keyboard it is NOT a low range keyboard 100%!

Samplers have additional RAMs in which those samples are stored. You CAN'T add SAMPLES to a PSR series keyboard. They just don't have that options. You CAN add some "new" sounds (higher range PSR series) but those are just edited preset styles... nothing more, and those sounds use samples which are already in your keyboard - NOT new samples.

This applies to all the keyboards.

If you have sampling option, the only way to transfer new samples are via USB storage device (usb memory stick) or via some memory cards (SD, SmartMedia etc...). There is NO WAY you can send new samples via MIDI cables...

MIDI cables are used just to send SIGNALS to, and from a keyboard.

For example... If you have a PSR S500, and you buy a MOTIF RACK (just the motif sounds) you can use those sounds via MIDI. But this doesn't mean you actually transfer the sounds TO your PSR S500. You just send signals to the rack which then processes those signals with its sound generator, and you then can play those sounds.

Hope I was clearer this time :)

Ask a Question