Debut Album Review - Re-Post > LINK FIXED

Reaction score
So sorry for any inconvenience. :eek: The link has been repaired:

FIXED LINK > http://soundcloud.com/chadt/sets/cognition

Greetings fellow keyboardists! I’ve just released my debut solo album “Cognition” & would be very interested in hearing feedback on my effort from other keyboard players, e.g, groove, vibe, quality, technique, good, bad, great, sucks, whatever.

I believe I may have a rather unique sound, so choosing a genre presented a challenge for me. I went with the mouthful “progressive electronic space rock” but would welcome recommendations of anything more succinct. I’d also be interested to learn of any artists that you may feel are similar.

Really, any comments are welcome, but try not to be too harsh if possible. This is my first effort & I might bruise easily. :p

If you like the tunes, spread the word & please do not hesitate to purchase them or ding my FB page. I could really use the support to realize my efforts were not in vain.

I sincerely thank you & look forward to your posts.

Warmest Regards,
Chad Trego
www.chadtrego.com

P.S. Only keyboards and an Alesis drum machine were used in the making of this album.

Reaction score
Hej, hej ChadT,

according to your motto: Intelligent rock that will rock your mind!

your first album sounds absolut great to me. Although I am 63 I have to say that I seldom have heard such a clear structured composition from out of the rock corner. I am very lucky that you lay great stress to the organ voices of your keyboard, simple marvelous. I also like your decent singing voice and the frugal operation of the percussions.

The second song: 'While everything dies' there for my gusto the distortian-bass guitars are a little bit 'heavy'.

To consider the results of your album:

Intelligent composing, pleasing titels, gorgeous sounds even the synth voices. Bravo!!!

Best wishes and nice sunday
goldi5210

Reaction score
Thank you so much Goldi & Nico! Both of your comments have truly inspired me. Goldi, I thank you very much for your detailed review. It means a great deal to me. I am also very ecstatic to learn that my music has been well received in one of the Nordic countries that I admire so much!

Nico, coincidentally, I had already downloaded “Us in the Middle of You” before publishing my post. What a particularly nice surprise to see that we both enjoy each other’s work! Your material is now in my iTunes library. Thank you! I’d be curios to learn of your geography if you’re willing to divulge it. Judging by your name & Band Camp page, I'm presuming France.

I look forward to hearing from more great keyboardists! Thanks again to everyone!

Warmest Regards,
Chad Trego
www.chadtrego.com

Reaction score
ok, im going to be honest here... i didnt listen to the whole album but i did listen to about 3 tracks, i think the music is realy realy good but i wasnt too keen on the vocals. however i think thats just down to personal preference and not something you were doing wrong, also too much reverb on the vocals for my liking. but please dont let my comment dishearten you i know plenty of people thatd realy like this so keep it up. :)

just out of interest is this a home or studio recording cos its pretty well produced?

Reaction score
Hi Chad, thanks for the reply! Your right, it seems we're on the same page and your tunes are also in my library. I always like to hear under ground stuff since I find this refreshing to my hears. Music comes from everywhere now...and by the way I'm from Montreal, not too far from you!

Cheers!
Nico

Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to write rianlogan. I understand where you’re coming from and I appreciate your candidness. I’m glad to hear that you think the music itself is good. That makes me very happy since keyboards are my forte after all. I expected the vocals would not be to everyone’s preference. But, as a solo musician, I am the vocalist by default.

I’m unsure of what 3 tracks you’ve listened to, but I would encourage you to check out some of the others in the hope that the vocals may be more to your liking on one or more of those.

To answer your question, it was not recorded in a professional studio. When I finished recording it, I took it to several studios to trial their mixing & mastering “skills”, but they butchered the sample song & charged me a lot of money to do it. I reverted to mixing it myself which I found extremely tedious (is it better like this… or better like this? x 10,000) I then had my buddy master it. I'm extremely pleased & relieved that you feel it sounds well produced.

I can only hope that you will pass my stuff on to those “plenty of people” you know. Thanks again!

Nico, we’re neighbors! That’s pretty cool & good to know. Keep up the great work!

Any more keyboardists care to offer their feedback? Many thanks to everyone who has taken the time to listen and/or comment so far.

Warmest Regards,
Chad Trego
www.chadtrego.com

Reaction score
I’m still very interested to hear thoughts on possible genre & similar artists. If anyone would care to weigh in on those elements, it would be greatly appreciated.

I also look forward to any other feedback that anyone may wish to provide. Many thanks to everyone!

Warmest Regards,
Chad Trego
www.chadtrego.com

Ask a Question