DGX-660 piano voice high squeel

Reaction score
Just got the DGX-660. The main piano voices, playing mid C or there abouts, produce high, shrill odd overtones. Almost like high feed back that decays. Messed with eq etc. Did full reset. Noticeable in head phones buy not as bad. Anyone else?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I've never had or played a DGX, so I don't know if that's normal or not.

Have you tried turning off, or at least turning down, the Reverb Depth? You might try changing the Chorus Depth, too-- although Yamaha usually set the Chorus Depth kind of low to begin with, whereas they tend to set the Reverb Depth rather high.

Reaction score
Yes. Spent quite some time messing with all of that. Reset it twice. Going to stop by a Guitar Center tomorrow and see if they have a floor model. If it's better I'm going to see if I can just get another. I think calling Yamaha will lead to hours of wasted time...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
What's your line power situation like? Are you near a radio station or do you have some sort of electric motor or digital device hooked up to the same circuit?

Is it plugged into the computer when it makes the squeal? What happens if you unplug from the computer?

Is the squeal steady and repeatable or does it come and go?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
What's your line power situation like? Are you near a radio station or do you have some sort of electric motor or digital device hooked up to the same circuit?

Is it plugged into the computer when it makes the squeal? What happens if you unplug from the computer?

Is the squeal steady and repeatable or does it come and go?

Gary ;)
Thanks for the suggestions. Pretty savvy tech nerd here but I didn't try another outlet?! Issue being its only the piano voices that whine / have the odd awful overtones. Wouldn't care if it was other voices. I'll give it a shot! ?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually if it uses a power brick or a wall wart to power it, it may just be the filtering in the switching supply that's causing the whine. It could be the power brick is out of spec.

Solution may be as simple as to swap out the power brick.

If it's still under thirty day exchange warranty though, simplest solution might be to swap for a new one at the store.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. Pretty savvy tech nerd here but I didn't try another outlet?! Issue being its only the piano voices that whine / have the odd awful overtones. Wouldn't care if it was other voices. I'll give it a shot! ?
Nope. Tried a few other things. Also get some oddness with some of the organ voices. Just doesn't seem right. It's days old so it's prob a lemon. Thanks tho!

The Y_man

Reaction score
Sounds like a dud unfortunately.... if you haven't smashed it up in disgust or returned it already, maybe record some of the offending (and non-offending sounds) so we can hear it.

The Y-man

Reaction score
Yes. Spent quite some time messing with all of that. Reset it twice. Going to stop by a Guitar Center tomorrow and see if they have a floor model. If it's better I'm going to see if I can just get another. I think calling Yamaha will lead to hours of wasted time...
You are correct about hours of wasted time calling Yamaha. I'm trying to resolve an issue and I've contacted them twice... once via phone and once via online chat. Each ended with the customer support agent telling me someone would call me. That was a week ago and I'm still waiting for that call.

Ask a Question