DGX-660 - screen backlight comes on but nothing else!

Reaction score
Just bought myself a DGX-660 with a power on issue and looking for a repair manual - do they exist for Yamaha keyboards?

Some power is getting through as the screen backlight comes on, but that's all that happens.
It looks like a previous owner has spilt something and it ended up on the main board as that was covered in gunk!
I've cleaned it up as best I can with IPA but still the same.
Could do with some pointers if possible please.

This is all I get - are there any other lights that should come on?

1711204579960.jpg

Reaction score
Does it make any sounds (play voices)?
No, I also tried to see if anything was coming out of the headphone jack too.

I read online that there are some caps on the mainboard that are prone to failing so maybe this is where I should start?

I just wanted to see if I could measure any voltages getting to the main board before I started swapping things out.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don't see a service manual for the DGX-660 at ElektroTanya.com, but there's a service manual for the previous model, the DGX-650:

Note: Do not click any large "Download" or "Open" buttons on that page, as they are actually just advertisements. Scroll down toward the end of the page until you see a much smaller link that says "go to download."

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just bought myself a DGX-660 with a power on issue and looking for a repair manual - do they exist for Yamaha keyboards?

Some power is getting through as the screen backlight comes on, but that's all that happens.
It looks like a previous owner has spilt something and it ended up on the main board as that was covered in gunk!
I've cleaned it up as best I can with IPA but still the same.
Could do with some pointers if possible please.

This is all I get - are there any other lights that should come on?

View attachment 3338
These displays can be problematic: the connector is a 'zebra stripe' type and even in the best of times the display can go a little wonky. I'm not sure that IPA would do it any favors. I think the original contact was done thermally but I wouldn't/didn't go there. My old DGX 525 would sometimes get a little scrambled which responded to simply tapping on the display. My DGX 650 hasn't done anything ... yet. I bought my son a DGX 640 which had a serious problem: usually 1/2 of the display would blank; I fixed this by fitting in pieces of electrostatic foam plastic which maintain a certain amount of pressure on the connections which fixed the problem. I've seen adds for replacement display modules but fitting a new one seems like a master class in electronic assembly.

Ask a Question