DGX-670

Reaction score
I FINALLY heard back from Yamaha about this, and the answer is no, you cannot specify switching the headphone output to line level on the DGX-670 like you could on the 660.

Here is their response: "The DGX-670 does not have the same option to change to line level as the DGX-660. Changing to line level on the DGX-660 would provide line-level at the required impedance of the line level specification".

So if I read that correctly, the 660 would disable any amplification built into the headphone port (like in all headphone ports - to drive the headphone speakers) to return that port to proper line level; and that's gone from the 670 - that's a shame. Dino had posted that you can achieve the same thing using the mixer and just modifying the output level, but I don't think that's really the same thing - if the headphone amp built into the port is still active, then even if your output volume is lower, there is still an active amp in the port which will result in a lower quality / noisier audio signal.

Oh well that's probably fine anyways; you can record high quality direct audio to a flash drive, and since there is an audio interface built into the USB port, you can also get high quality direct audio out from there to a phone for a video, or to a DAW on a device. The only thing that you're missing out on is a high quality audio signal to an amp, but this beast is too big to lug around to perform with anyways, so for home use and recording, no big loss there.
Seems like a downgrade then. THat seems strange; especially since the DGX 670 has better/improved sounds and effects. Are they really so keen on keeping it at home and without using external speakers? In that case probably to avoid competing with other models such as stage pianos or psr models.

I find it a bit hard to believe they would create such good piano yet not allow for the sound to be taken out properly.

I would like to dig more into this, since I intend to buy an audio interface. Perhaps other Yamaha people might give better or more complete answers.

In case I don't solve the problem you mentioned with noise, then yes I am restricted to using the pianos built in audio interface connected via USB directly to the PC. Which may be fine. HOwever I am interested in an audio interface for two reasons:

1) 24 bit sampling depth and perhaps a higher sampling frequency, than 44.1 khz owing to having purchased a rather expensive condenser microphone which I intend to get the best out of.
2) Direct monitoring of vocals with DSP effects from an external DSP capable interface.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you really need to output to speakers my recommendation would be to get a DI box or a cheap mixer like the 5 channel behringer and route the output thru either one.

Personally I haven't bought a piece of gear without 1/4" line outs in over 2 decades. :)

Gary ;)
ANd how would that connect with an audio interface? IF I don't need a mixer (but an audio interface) then should I use the DI box (looked it up a bit and it is meant to avoid noise). BUT if the noise has already been introduced with an amplification, then how is that undone? So is there a noise filter in it or what?

Isn't a mixer more for live performance than for recording? When recording you may controle things in your DAW or on the DGX piano, in its built in mixer.

I use my external monitors all the time, in order to sit back and evaluate the sound. Of course there is the advantage with headphones that one gets a great sound stage, due to some modelling done by Yamaha. But all in all it seems ridiculous if one gets a noisy output through speakers.

Please do read my commentary on PianoTone above ;)

PS: I read this https://keyboardkraze.com/best-d-i-box-for-keyboards/ and here is the last Phrase regarding a DI box: "The purpose is to reduce the gain stages in the signal path, which will ultimately reduce noise."

Not sure I understand this entirely but I have some clue.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Seems like a downgrade then. THat seems strange; especially since the DGX 670 has better/improved sounds and effects. Are they really so keen on keeping it at home and without using external speakers? In that case probably to avoid competing with other models such as stage pianos or psr models.

I find it a bit hard to believe they would create such good piano yet not allow for the sound to be taken out properly.

I would like to dig more into this, since I intend to buy an audio interface. Perhaps other Yamaha people might give better or more complete answers.

In case I don't solve the problem you mentioned with noise, then yes I am restricted to using the pianos built in audio interface connected via USB directly to the PC. Which may be fine. HOwever I am interested in an audio interface for two reasons:

1) 24 bit sampling depth and perhaps a higher sampling frequency, than 44.1 khz owing to having purchased a rather expensive condenser microphone which I intend to get the best out of.
2) Direct monitoring of vocals with DSP effects from an external DSP capable interface.
I had a P125 with built in audio interface and now have a PSREW425 keyboard also with an audio interface and both of them make very high quality audio recordings when connected through USB; the only thing lost with no line outs is high quality connection to external amplification. For recording, the direct USB connection will be better

Reaction score
I had a P125 with built in audio interface and now have a PSREW425 keyboard also with an audio interface and both of them make very high quality audio recordings when connected through USB; the only thing lost with no line outs is high quality connection to external amplification. For recording, the direct USB connection will be better
Wow, so that means I should abandon the external audio interface because that was what I intended to use it for? Maybe then I should be happy that 16 bit 44.1 khz is cd quality. It makes me think that the Aston Spirit mic might be a waste because I may not hear the difference or others may not: DIfference from my dynamic mics.
So that leaves me with the option of 1) a separate connection via an external audio interface for the mic, hence another USB connection to the pc/DAW OR 2) simply to connect my microphones the way I used to via the mic input in the piano.:rolleyes:

PS: It reminds me of what I had been assuming: THat the built in audio interface is good enough. Yes amplification I understand but that might be just necessary perhaps with some kinds of PA. It works fine when connected directly to my SPeakers. I just had been told by some that an external Interface would mean better quality, to which I answered them "But isn't it just 0s and 1s and so why should an external audio interface improve the built in one?" THey said that its the USB connection thats weak. TO which I answered: "Well there is a USB from the external interface as well". Another answer I got was that there is something about the converter in the external audio interface. I had my doubt regarding what to believe.
If I can believe what you say then the main reason to have an external interface is some amplification on top of what the piano provides? Well including the 48 Phantom power etc for the mics. But I already have that sorted as is.
So if really the amplification is at the core regarding the advantage in an external interface, then if I can get an ok MIC track into CUbase with my current setup, I see no true need for an external audio interface.
I also find it ridiculous to have to overrule the built in one, take it out through the headphone outlet, then into yet another interface and so forth.
I may buy perhaps the EMO8 (audient) or the Steinberg UR22 to only use for the microphone, probably not while recording the piano but separately. Makes sense?

Last edited:
Reaction score
For recording just the piano audio, the direct USB connection (or recording audio to a flash drive) should be CD quality; even with a good external audio interface, you still have a signal coming from the headphone port that will have been amplified beyond line level so it won’t be as clean a signal. For recording a mic, (assuming it is the same on the DGX as it is on my PSR-EW425), the mic signal should get included with the piano signal to the USB (and flash drive) outs so you should get a great quality mic signal that way. Only thing is it would be one track so you cannot work with mic/piano separately in your DAW. For recording though, you could get 2 tracks by recording them one at a time through your piano. I record just talking or just singing vocals all the time now through my keyboard instead of my Volt audio interface - it’s faster, easier, less cables and sounds great.

Reaction score
Thanks :) Your answer seems plausible. I think some commercial interests made up the idea that one should use an external interface.

The sound is recorded 16 bit 44.1 khz, and for sure Yamaha would not place crappy faulty electronic circuits in such a high quality instrument. That would just be dumber than dumb to say the least, right.

I considered a small interface though to plug into the pc and use only for a microphone, then use the Asio4all driver since it seems to provide very short/ little latency in case I need that which I am not sure about.

Its like 3-4 msecs at say 90 bit buffer size whereas the Yamaha Steinberg USB Asio driver yields 11-13 ms at 90 bit buffer size (since the route is longer when passing through the piano).
But well, if I record with a slight bit of reverb through the pianos audio interface I may add yet more later, and this way avoid the need of DSP.

But to have direct monitoring and either DSP (for hearing effects, though not being recorded) OR a workaround likewise using direct monitoring and an effect track in cubase, I would still need an external Audio interface: Capable of being monitored directly which I guess most standalone interfaces provide.

Yes, I too prefer simplicity, less cables or boxes and the setup being as integrated and compatible as possible.

After all I am out for the music: Not for participating in a tech quizz about unnecessesary tech devices every geek would dream about, although I feel like having been heading that way, a bit involuntarily.

Reaction score
You guys may be overcomplicating what is required.

Check with the software you are using if the input is selectable and with the USB lead connected directly from Keyboard to Computer there may be no need for an audio interface, simply change the software input source for the recording project.

I use Audacity for recording and I just select a different input source which corresponds to the Audio Over USB, it works great on my system.

Reaction score
You guys may be overcomplicating what is required.

Check with the software you are using if the input is selectable and with the USB lead connected directly from Keyboard to Computer there may be no need for an audio interface, simply change the software input source for the recording project.

I use Audacity for recording and I just select a different input source which corresponds to the Audio Over USB, it works great on my system.
Well that is how we are already recording. But some "forces" have seemed to attempt to persuade us minimalists of getting yet more gear. As for me, I cosidered an external interface since the yamaha built in one can not be monitored in Cubase and also to record with 24 bit.

I may still do that with the micophone separately, and have the piano just run through the USB to host (piano to pc). That way the whole line out issue is avoided. My ten cents.

The problem is that if recording the instrument and the mic simultaneously via two different audio interfaces and USB connections, then the recordings may be asynchrone, due to differing latencies between those interfaces.

Or I simply record one thing at the time.

I haven't considered if there will be compatibility issues if first recording a piano track with 16 bit 44.1 khz, and then a vocal track with say 24 bit 96 khz or 48 khz.
I remember to have had some problems when toggling between 48 and 44.1 khz in Cubase.

Last edited:

Ask a Question