DGX-670

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Yamaha has finally announced a replacement for its popular DGX-660 digital piano-- the DGX-670:

DGX-670 Portable Grand Piano - Yamaha USA

I'll try to do a basic comparison of their specs later, but one thing that jumps out at me right off the bat is that the DGX-670 is XG compatible, as well as GS, GM, and GM2 compatible, which is a major step up from the DGX-660's XGlite and GM compatibility.

Also, it can play 4 style variations, which is an improvement over the DGX-660's limitation of 2 style variations.

Reaction score
From the video above an the NAMM video it looks like it has a superior spec to its competitors the Korg XE20 and Casio S3000.

One neat feature is the WAV recording which also writes the score as well.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
It looks like it might be limited to one Intro and one Ending of a style, whereas other XG compatible models tend to be able to trigger three Intros and three Endings.

The style file format actually supports four Intros and four Endings, and the fourth ones can be triggered via MIDI, but the panel controls usually support only three.

Perhaps the DGX-670 will still be able to play all four if they're triggered via MIDI, even though its controls are apparently limited to triggering one?

I had considered buying the DGX-660 a few months back, but I wanted to wait until after NAMM to see if an updated model might be announced-- and now I'm glad I did. :)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
The manual wasn't out the other day when I posted, so thanks for mentioning it! :)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
The thing I find most surprising about the DGX-670 is that it's the same price as the DGX-660!

3dc

Reaction score
DGX-670 is nice but not on my short list since there is no mod wheel. I am looking forward to hear some news about E473 and MX61/88 successor in this NAMM but it looks like will have to wait for that. :(

Reaction score
From the video above an the NAMM video it looks like it has a superior spec to its competitors the Korg XE20 and Casio S3000.

One neat feature is the WAV recording which also writes the score as well.
What NAMM video?NAMM has been canceled.

Reaction score
The thing I find most surprising about the DGX-670 is that it's the same price as the DGX-660!
What is also surprising,is that in many ways,the DGX670 is superior to that of my former Korg Krome EX! Unlike the Krome,the DGX670 has audio recording and WAV export.I suppose the piano sound quality between the 2 keyboards is about even,but the Yamaha in total,seems to have better quality voices.I've never laid a hand on the DGX series,but clearly,the key-bed on the Yamaha is far superior.I actually sold my Krome & my PC midi controller keyboards in order to help fund my future purchase of the Korg Nautilus....but after becoming aware of the upcoming DGX670,I'm applying both of my stimulus checks to fund both keyboards(as the DGX is far too good to pass up!)

Reaction score
What NAMM video?NAMM has been canceled.
Errr no it was not.

It went ahead but in a very different format, purely online & Mon-Fri last week and all week a few of us have been posting including me putting this video in the Namm 2021 Believe in Music thread. This was what Yamaha presented

Reaction score
As a Korg guy is pains me to say that the DGX is a very good machine and probably the best in class.

At 47 lbs it is probably far to heavy for this old guy

Reaction score
As a Korg guy is pains me to say that the DGX is a very good machine and probably the best in class.

At 47 lbs it is probably far to heavy for this old guy
I don't subscribe to that sort of hardcore fandom to any particular brand....but rather,I appreciate an individual model of any brand,based on its specific merits.
I do however,lean towards Korg keyboards,due to their dedication to workstations(i.e.,their deep editing features in the song sequencer area and haven't seen this level of midi editing in Yamaha keyboards,since the Motif XF series.)
Why would the DGX670's weight be an issue? That is to say...its meant to be stationary in the home(but more portable than some gigantic-clunky-old fart organ)...in the event you decide to relocate elsewhere in your home.)
I'm 51 & disabled & I have trouble even carrying my own body weight,but I see the DGX670's weight as a good thing....meaning that I don't want some feather-weight keyboard that will fly off of my keyboard stand,if I accidentally bump into it.
Moreover.....very lightweight keyboards have a tendency to have really flimsy key-bed action.
When I was younger,I had an old Korg 01/W Pro X 88-key(& this damn thing was an aircraft carrier)....which weighed 77lbs! That said,the DGX670's weight isn't bad at all(considering that it has built-in speakers and graded hammer standard keys.)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Huh, I hadn't noticed that. I didn't even realize that the stand is included in the price of the DGX-660.

Reaction score
Here in the UK.

£789, keyboard including power supply and flat paddle type pedal.

£920 including stand and tri-pedal unit.

Reaction score
Just browsing on the website of a certain UK supplier and found this write up on the 670.

Refreshing
The Yamaha DGX-670 is unique, it offers all that is possible with digital pianos at a price that's within the budget of most households. The DGX-670 is a very competent piano and an excellent keyboard with styles extra sounds and a whole host of features to get you playing and keep you interested.

It's not the best piano or the best keyboard but it is definitely best in it's class.

All the technology, sounds and styles have been created for much more expensive market leading instruments and this is passed down to the DGX-670 making it a quality instrument at an affordable price

Ask a Question