DGX-670

Reaction score
WILL THE STAND FOR THE DGX 660 WORK ON THE DGX670?

I just received my 670 and it fits in the same stand as the 660. The multi pedal of the 660 has the same connector as the 670 and it fits in the unit, but doesn't work. What a crock. It's the same connector with apparently just the pins rearranged so it won't work, so you'll have to go out and spend another $100 bucks. Such greed. Trying to decide if I'm going to take it back. 660 piano sound is WAY better in my opinion than the 670. I was very disappointed. However, the other sounds and accompaniment features are much better, so I'm not sure what I'll do.

Reaction score
I have recently purchased DGX-670 and I'm really impressed with its quality and functions available but I ran into a problem when I was playing the piano with Grand Piano voice, sometimes the decay is too shorter - I've checked the voice settings and its on poly(normal) mode any other modes are disabled. It's so annoying to play and I couldn't find any material based on this problem. Please could any one here help me with this?

Reaction score
After playing on a demo at a Guitar Center, I am getting the DGX-670 right after Christmas. I've not noticed what you're experiencing, but I've only played on that model briefly. That said, If I'd be in your situation, first thing I'd do, is go to a music store where they have one on display and see if it's an inherent problem on this model. If yours happens to be defective, I'd respond to Yamaha's warranty ASAP.

Reaction score
I just received my 670 and it fits in the same stand as the 660. The multi pedal of the 660 has the same connector as the 670 and it fits in the unit, but doesn't work. What a crock. It's the same connector with apparently just the pins rearranged so it won't work, so you'll have to go out and spend another $100 bucks. Such greed. Trying to decide if I'm going to take it back. 660 piano sound is WAY better in my opinion than the 670. I was very disappointed. However, the other sounds and accompaniment features are much better, so I'm not sure what I'll do.
I'm sorry the pins don't align, but that seems minor. Without question, the sound quality, options and versatility of the 670 far outweigh the 660.

Reaction score
Have you downloaded and read the Manuals?

There is not just the brief Owners Manual, there are others especially the Reference Manual where on Page 15 it explains how to change the attack, decay and release times.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I have recently purchased DGX-670 and I'm really impressed with its quality and functions available but I ran into a problem when I was playing the piano with Grand Piano voice, sometimes the decay is too shorter - I've checked the voice settings and its on poly(normal) mode any other modes are disabled. It's so annoying to play and I couldn't find any material based on this problem. Please could any one here help me with this?

If you're saying that one or more of the decaying notes get cut off abruptly, it might be related to polyphony, or how many notes can be played at the same time. When the instrument runs out of polyphony, it starts turning off notes to free up some of the sound generators so it can play more notes. The oldest or longest held notes are usually the first ones to get cut off.

The DGX-670 should have a really high polyphony-- I haven't looked it up, but I believe it's 128 or more-- so I can't imagine the polyphony being a problem unless you're "going crazy" sustaining a huge number of notes simultaneously while also using features that add to the number of sound elements being played, such as a dual voice, voices that use a lot of sound elements, an auto accompaniment, etc.

If it does turn out to be the polyphony, you should see if there is anything you can do to reduce the number of sound generators that are needed to play all of the sounds you're trying to play, such as using voices that don't have as many sound elements, turning off the dual voice, using a dual voice that doesn't have as many sound elements, etc. Also, if you are using MIDI while playing, see if you can reduce the number of notes that are being sent to the keyboard to be sounded. And if you are echoing the keyboard's MIDI back to itself to be played, you might be getting notes sounded twice if the Local Control isn't turned off, which would use up more of the sound generators than necessary.

Reaction score
Hello, long time no seen. I hope this is the right place to post. Else please help me change it.

I got the DGX 670. I have tried to get it to record both the Microphone (into the mic input in the keyboard) and my keyboard playing simultaneously. I have no problems with recording everything onto the usb but then that is one track only once I load it into Cubase.

But I wanted to able to record my psontaneous piano playing while singing and later refine the raw singing in it's own track.

In wonder if it all is just either two mono channels or one stereo in which case, it does not matter that I create a mono bus in audio connections in Cubase. It will still be mixed into a stereo signal since of course I wish to retain the Keyboard as stereo. Ît has been some time since I dealt with channels. On the MOXF8 there were 4 channels and it was possible to get the microphone to run in it's own channel, not mixed with the rest.

Perhaps this is not possible on the Yamaha DGX 670? If so I will have to record everything all at once or just sing along and then record my singing while playing back the instrumental take. In the song /midi mode there are up to 16 channels so there I can have it separated into 16 tracks. But audio is another thing.

Reaction score
I have tried to get it to record both the Microphone (into the mic input in the keyboard) and my keyboard playing simultaneously.

I meant....

I have tried to get it to record both the Microphone (into the mic input in the keyboard) and my keyboard playing simultaneously on two different tracks in Cubase.

Reaction score
Look at Page 79 of the Reference Manual for MIDI settings.

Note this is not the Owners Manual, there are six different Manuals you can download.

Reaction score
Look at Page 79 of the Reference Manual for MIDI settings.

Note this is not the Owners Manual, there are six different Manuals you can download.
OK so that is for MIDI. But I am talking about recording the audio via the USB keyboard to PC connection. I tried creating two tracks in CUbase, one for the mic and one for the Keyboard, but I can not create an input bus for the mirophone which is separate from the stereo channel for the keyboard. It was some years since I did this routing on the MOXF8 and there I had 4 audio channels: 1-4 I believe. Not sure if I am right about this.

Reaction score
Audio over USB is analogue stereo ie left and right channels.

For what you want to achieve perhaps you are going to need more kit as far as I can see or a different process.

You can record what you are playing on the DGX and record your vocals on your computer or a standalone recorder. Download the recording to your PC and mix them.

Or a variation by recording the DGX to your PC in either analogue or via the MIDI channels direct into your DAW, recording your vocals on a standalone recorder like a Zoom. Then you have the flexibility with the MIDI on your PC where the vocals file. Car be added and modified to suit.

Reaction score
The goal was to record everything in ONE take but on two separate tracks, not in two takes which is of course easy peasy. I could with the interface in the MOXF8. I wondered if it were doable with the DGX 670. SInce nobody say yes, probably it is not doable. This means that to record in one take, one has to apply the final effects already on the piano's mixer, as wanted in the mastered result. No way to edit the vocal separately later on. The effects will of course be added to the music as well since it is ONE track. It seems to be overkill to purchase another mixer, since there is a mixer on the DGX 670.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It looks like it might be limited to one Intro and one Ending of a style, whereas other XG compatible models tend to be able to trigger three Intros and three Endings.

The style file format actually supports four Intros and four Endings, and the fourth ones can be triggered via MIDI, but the panel controls usually support only three.

Perhaps the DGX-670 will still be able to play all four if they're triggered via MIDI, even though its controls are apparently limited to triggering one?

I had considered buying the DGX-660 a few months back, but I wanted to wait until after NAMM to see if an updated model might be announced-- and now I'm glad I did. :)
A friend upgraded from the 670. How can he download his songs for use in his new Yamaha keyboard? Thru a usb?

Reaction score
A friend upgraded from the 670. How can he download his songs for use in his new Yamaha keyboard? Thru a usb?
Upgraded to dgx 670 I believe you mean.

Either ...
1) run the song/backing track as a midi/ audio track in a daw while playing along, perhaps recording what you play meanwhile to another track.

2) Upload the song to a USB stick/ thumb drive -> Play it back by selecting the source inside "SONG" = MIDI, ON THE piano, or select it in the "Audio" onboard, then select USB and the proper audio file.

3) Upload the audio or midi/song file to the USER memory (second choice in the menu) from the Usb stick. There is limited storage though, on the piano. You may even have the notes and / or lyrics showing in the keyboards display,if you upload that as well. Never did that but surely all in one file.

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can specify the output gain level for the headphone out on the DGX-670 like you could on the DGX-660 (pg 58 of 660's manual)? I don't see that in the 670's manual anywhere. On the 660 you could switch it from an amp'd headphone out to a line level (for a PA) out. Would be a huge shame if they took that out given they don't have L/R line outs.

Ask a Question