Do I really Need A D. I. Box

Reaction score
So, I know I need to get a mixer soon, mostly for when I get my second keyboard. At the moment I mainly what to break in my monitor speakers.
Focal suggests at least 20 hours. The trouble is I have no way of playing music through my monitors yet.

I don't know if just buying a mixer will solve all my problems. I would ideally like to be able to play music from YouTube through my monitors. From what I have been seeing online people say it's wise to use a D I Box and plug that into the mixer and then get an adapter to play music from my iPhone or iPad. I gather that playing via Bluetooth is not doable?

I am fine with buying a D I Box but they are $200 plus so if I don't need one I would like to know.

My requirement for the long term is to be able to have a 2 keyboard rig (maybe 3) the ability to add other instruments like a bass guitar and also have the ability to play music from the computer but mostly from mobile devices.

I also want to try and keep my rig as streamline as possible. I have had to resort to having my rig in my office so if I can help it I really don't want hundreds of cables everywhere.

Finally... Does anyone have a good recommendation on what the best power strip with a good surge protector is to buy. Where the office is we have restricted outlets so I would have to plug a power strip in that ideally has as many outlets as possible.

Thank you as always for your advice!

Chris

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The only reason I bought an active DI was because between my mixer and my computer's soundcard there was a nasty hum caused by a ground loop.

My advice is try a direct connection first.

If there are any problems then you can always spring for an active or passive DI.

I bought a Behringer active DI about 5 years ago and I'm only on my third battery.

5 years ago it cost around $25.

Inflation is hitting everything, including gear these days.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks as always Gary. I think when I get a mixer I will get something substantial so I have room to "grow" with it.

Also, thanks for the heads up regarding the power bar. We need to protect our equipment!

Cheers!

Reaction score
The only reason I bought an active DI was because between my mixer and my computer's soundcard there was a nasty hum caused by a ground loop.
Did you try using 5-pin MIDI instead of USB (assuming your keyboard has 5-pin connections)? That's often a cheap and easy fix.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Scott, my POS Yamaha Mixer has no Linux USB drivers for its onboard soundcard. What the hell does MIDI factor into it?

As for using MIDI, my system still uses MIDI only in cases where USB drivers are not available for my system and I have pretty much hit the limit of how many connections I can make in my main studio.

I have like 12 or 14 keyboards, modules and controllers plugged in, some MIDI and the rest USB and I don't screw around with what works for me.

Here's a reminder of my setup...

Flowchart-a-studio-audio-2021.jpg
Flowchart-a-studio-midi-2021.jpg

Gary ;)

Reaction score
whoops... too late to edit... I thought the issue was a hum when connecting the keyboard to the computer, not the mixer to the computer. Never mind...

Reaction score
So, I know I need to get a mixer soon, mostly for when I get my second keyboard. At the moment I mainly what to break in my monitor speakers.
Focal suggests at least 20 hours. The trouble is I have no way of playing music through my monitors yet.

I don't know if just buying a mixer will solve all my problems. I would ideally like to be able to play music from YouTube through my monitors. From what I have been seeing online people say it's wise to use a D I Box and plug that into the mixer and then get an adapter to play music from my iPhone or iPad. I gather that playing via Bluetooth is not doable?

I am fine with buying a D I Box but they are $200 plus so if I don't need one I would like to know.

My requirement for the long term is to be able to have a 2 keyboard rig (maybe 3) the ability to add other instruments like a bass guitar and also have the ability to play music from the computer but mostly from mobile devices.

I also want to try and keep my rig as streamline as possible. I have had to resort to having my rig in my office so if I can help it I really don't want hundreds of cables everywhere.

Finally... Does anyone have a good recommendation on what the best power strip with a good surge protector is to buy. Where the office is we have restricted outlets so I would have to plug a power strip in that ideally has as many outlets as possible.

Thank you as always for your advice!

Chris
You didn't mention a couple of important things:
  1. Are you planning to run your keyboards in mono (1 input/output per keyboard) or stereo (2 inputs/outputs per keyboard).
  2. What brand and model are the monitor speakers?
  3. What type of inputs are included on the monitors (RCA, 1/4" (TS), 1/4" (TRS), XLR, Neutrik)?
These will tell us your mixer input requirements, i.e. how many inputs you may receive from the various sources and therefore determine the mixer requirements, i.e 8 channel mixer, 12 channel mixer, 16 channel mixer, etc.. Various mixers have various outputs, some are 1/4" TS, some are 1/4" TRS, some are XLR. We need to determine whether you can connect directly from the mixer to the speakers so mixer outputs need to be compatible with speaker inputs.

$200 DI boxes probably aren't necessary. Even if a DI box were required, $200 DI's might not be the case if $40 DI's might do the job, depending on the quality of the other components in the system. As a comedian once said about his 60 year old wife asking for money for a boob job, "that's like putting a new screen door on an old house".

Reaction score
You didn't mention a couple of important things:
  1. Are you planning to run your keyboards in mono (1 input/output per keyboard) or stereo (2 inputs/outputs per keyboard).
  2. What brand and model are the monitor speakers?
  3. What type of inputs are included on the monitors (RCA, 1/4" (TS), 1/4" (TRS), XLR, Neutrik)?
These will tell us your mixer input requirements, i.e. how many inputs you may receive from the various sources and therefore determine the mixer requirements, i.e 8 channel mixer, 12 channel mixer, 16 channel mixer, etc.. Various mixers have various outputs, some are 1/4" TS, some are 1/4" TRS, some are XLR. We need to determine whether you can connect directly from the mixer to the speakers so mixer outputs need to be compatible with speaker inputs.

$200 DI boxes probably aren't necessary. Even if a DI box were required, $200 DI's might not be the case if $40 DI's might do the job, depending on the quality of the other components in the system. As a comedian once said about his 60 year old wife asking for money for a boob job, "that's like putting a new screen door on an old house".

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the help. All keyboards will be in stereo. I have a pair of Focal Shape 65's. Inputs are - 1 x XLR, 1 x RCA. Good joke, I also like the "trying to polish a turd" analogy also lol

Reaction score
Chris, you wouldn’t place a DI box before your mixer in the chain - it would go after your mixer and before your audio interface/speakers.

This being said - I agree with the others you’re unlikely to need a DI unless you have a ground loop problem causing hum. I further agree with Dave that if you DO need a DI there’s no need to get a top of the range one for your use case. A cheap one will do the job fine.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Chris, you wouldn’t place a DI box before your mixer in the chain - it would go after your mixer and before your audio interface/speakers.

This being said - I agree with the others you’re unlikely to need a DI unless you have a ground loop problem causing hum. I further agree with Dave that if you DO need a DI there’s no need to get a top of the range one for your use case. A cheap one will do the job fine.
Thank you! Right, I gathered it would go after my mixer. Sorry if I did not make myself clear. Good to know that if I do happen to need one I can pick one up relatively cheaply!

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the help. All keyboards will be in stereo. I have a pair of Focal Shape 65's. Inputs are - 1 x XLR, 1 x RCA. Good joke, I also like the "trying to polish a turd" analogy also lol

Many mixer outputs are 1/4" out. Your speaker inputs are XLR and RCA. So you have three choices:

1) DI box, 1/4" out from the mixer to the DI box's in, then DI box XLR out to XLR in on the Focal Shape. For a DI box (you'd need two of them, $65 total for two): DI box example
2) 1/4" female to XLR male adapter (you'd need two, $10 total). Keyboard (or mixer) 1/4" out into the adapter, then XLR of the adapter to the Focal Point: 1/4 to XLR adapter
3) 1/4" female out of keyboard (or mixer) to an RCA male adapter, plug the RCA adapter into the Focal Point (you'd need two, $6 total): 1/4 to RCA adapter.

I'd start with #3.

Once you purchase a mixer, if it has XLR outputs then connect the mixer XLR outputs to the speakers with an XLR cord (mic cord). You'll need two, one for each speaker. If the mixer has 1/4" outputs follow the chart above. If you need to experiment, start with #3, then #2 (less than a $20 investment for both experiments) and only go to #1 if you find #3 or #2 have too much noise (doubtful this will happen). If you happen to get hum with the #3 and #2 option and your keyboard has a three prong electric cord, try a ground lift ($1- link) on the keyboard's electric cord, often time that eliminates the hum and a need for a DI box.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Many mixer outputs are 1/4" out. Your speaker inputs are XLR and RCA. So you have three choices:

1) DI box, 1/4" out from the mixer to the DI box's in, then DI box XLR out to XLR in on the Focal Shape. For a DI box (you'd need two of them, $65 total for two): DI box example
2) 1/4" female to XLR male adapter (you'd need two, $10 total). Keyboard (or mixer) 1/4" out into the adapter, then XLR of the adapter to the Focal Point: 1/4 to XLR adapter
3) 1/4" female out of keyboard (or mixer) to an RCA male adapter, plug the RCA adapter into the Focal Point (you'd need two, $6 total): 1/4 to RCA adapter.

I'd start with #3.

Once you purchase a mixer, if it has XLR outputs then connect the mixer XLR outputs to the speakers with an XLR cord (mic cord). You'll need two, one for each speaker. If the mixer has 1/4" outputs follow the chart above. If you need to experiment, start with #3, then #2 (less than a $20 investment for both experiments) and only go to #1 if you find #3 or #2 have too much noise (doubtful this will happen). If you happen to get hum with the #3 and #2 option and your keyboard has a three prong electric cord, try a ground lift ($1- link) on the keyboard's electric cord, often time that eliminates the hum and a need for a DI box.
Really appreciate the time you took for this in-depth response. At least now I have a clearer idea of what way to go. Thank you!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
IF there is ever any hum in a simple audio chain like yours, the most likely source will be the addition of a computer soundcard to the mix.

The only time I ever turn on my DI box in my setup (Between the mixer and the soundcard BTW) is when I'm doing audio recording.

The rest of the time, I keep it turned off while recording MIDI alone to save the battery.

As for speakers that need "breaking in?" I have no idea what kind of audiobabble bullsh*t the vendor is feeding you there.

As far as I have ever seen, Nobody(!) but nobody else makes such an animal nor has it ever appeared in any audio electronics manual, text or brochure which I might have read.

If it makes you feel better, buy a $3.00 3.5mm TRS to RCA cable at almost any dollar store and plug it into an MP3 player or your phone for the required "burn in period."

To me it sounds like you are being told to get a bucket of steam and a skyhook the first day on the job. :D

Don't spend a nickel on the DI box if all you are doing is hooking the monitors directly to a mixer. Simply plug them all into the same power bar and your instruments as well and there is extremely little to zero chance of a 60 Hz ground loop hum.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
IF there is ever any hum in a simple audio chain like yours, the most likely source will be the addition of a computer soundcard to the mix.

The only time I ever turn on my DI box in my setup (Between the mixer and the soundcard BTW) is when I'm doing audio recording.

The rest of the time, I keep it turned off while recording MIDI alone to save the battery.

As for speakers that need "breaking in?" I have no idea what kind of audiobabble bullsh*t the vendor is feeding you there.

As far as I have ever seen, Nobody(!) but nobody else makes such an animal nor has it ever appeared in any audio electronics manual, text or brochure which I might have read.

If it makes you feel better, buy a $3.00 3.5mm TRS to RCA cable at almost any dollar store and plug it into an MP3 player or your phone for the required "burn in period."

To me it sounds like you are being told to get a bucket of steam and a skyhook the first day on the job. :D

Don't spend a nickel on the DI box if all you are doing is hooking the monitors directly to a mixer. Simply plug them all into the same power bar and your instruments as well and there is extremely little to zero chance of a 60 Hz ground loop hum.

Gary ;)
Up until you said that I thought it was pretty standard that a "breaking in" period was commonplace. Re - video below, just making a point that this is not some radical thing that only I have just come up with... maybe your completely right! I'm a noob to this stuff so Im not making any claims lol... I appreciate your advice Gary!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
That's a load of totally subjective audiobabble BS.

Thew truth is that electronic devices should be powered up for at least 12 or 24 hours when first purchased to reduce the chances of infant mortality.

Electromechanical devices such as speakers arrive at your door in the best condition they'll ever be.

There may be an argument for "loosening up" the drivers for the first time, but that will easily occur with normal use.

After that, they suffer wear and tear just like any other mechanical device.

My advice?

Plug em in already and enjoy the sound. :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Ooh man, Just started to play my second Nautilus and realized the last key is loose. I returned the first one because of damage to the inner box now I had to contact Sweetwater again to return this one...

Ask a Question