Dual Mode

Reaction score
Hi, I have a question about the "dual" mode where you layer 2 instruments. Does it actually add to the volume or "fullness" of the sound? I have been setting up performance patches on the Yamaha MM6 and I thought about layering 2 of the same Clavi patch just so it would have more "punch", but I couldn't tell whether it was doing anything or not.

Reaction score
I can't really see how layering two layers of the same sound patch would make a difference to the sound. If you edit one of them in any way, like transpose or any effect or something, then it would probably be a difference. But otherwise, layering 2 identicall patches should do anything, should it?

Reaction score
It does make a change actually... but it's only boosting the sound a bit louder. you won't get the "fullness" you describe that way ;)

What you want to do is use some of the effects and spread the sound around. Try some reverb and maybe even a soft string/pad sound in the background.

If done right - it works like a charm. Remember just how the "piano/string" sound sounds great... it's not the piano... it's the strings giving it the wide fat sound. :)

Reaction score
It does make a change actually... but it's only boosting the sound a bit louder. you won't get the "fullness" you describe that way ;)

What you want to do is use some of the effects and spread the sound around. Try some reverb and maybe even a soft string/pad sound in the background.

If done right - it works like a charm. Remember just how the "piano/string" sound sounds great... it's not the piano... it's the strings giving it the wide fat sound. :)

Thanks, this is some GREAT advice!

I'm just curious, how does the 'dual' function work? Are there really 2 sound-producing units inside the keyboard? Are they both equally powered, or does one borrow power from the other?

Ask a Question