E463 Multitrack Recording in DAW

3dc

Reaction score
Yamaha E463 can record 6 tracks but I would like to record my song using DAW with separate MIDI tracks for drums, synth, bass and guitar and then combine everything after editing with E463 VOICES for final AUDIO track.

Is this even possible? How do you map and control a specific E463 voice to a midi track in DAW?

My E463 is connected properly to my PC with Loop Back on OFF and my midi input and output is enabled trough E463 in DAW.
I can play the default voice in one midi track but I can't do a different voice in another midi track. Somehow the voice from first midi track is automatically assigned to next midi track. In Yamaha PSR-S670 you can change voices in mixer menu but how do you do that in E463?

What I am missing? Can somebody give me a a general overview of this in few sentences?
Please help! I beg you! I am loosing my mind over this!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The PSR-E models don't have Function menu settings for assigning specific parts to specific MIDI IN or MIDI OUT channels, so you're stuck with using the default MIDI OUT channels for the various parts, as follows:

KEYBOARD PARTS
  • Main Voice = Channel 1
  • Dual Voice = Channel 2
  • Split Voice = Channel 3

STYLE PARTS
  • Drums = Channels 9 & 10
  • Bass = Channel 11
  • Chord 1 = Channel 12
  • Chord 2 = Channel 13
  • Pad = Channel 14
  • Phrases = Channels 15 & 16

SONG PARTS
  • Channels 1 - 16

There are three Function menu settings which control which types of parts will be sent to the (USB) MIDI OUT port:
  • Keyboard Out
  • Style Out
  • Song Out

As long as the Keyboard Out function is turned on, the Main Voice will always be output, but the Dual Voice will be output only if Dual is turned on, and the Split Voice will be output only if Split is turned on. Note that the Dual Voice always outputs the same Note events as the Main Voice, although the actual Note values might be different depending on the Main Octave and Dual Octave settings.

The style parts will be output only if the Style Out function is turned on, but not all styles use all eight style parts, so the actual number of channels that will be output will depend on the specific style being used. Custom expansion styles might use different channels than the ones listed above, but standard Yamaha styles normally use the channels listed.

The song parts will be output only if the Song Out function is turned on, but only User Songs can be output; preset songs and song files are prevented from being output, presumably as a type of copyright protection. When you record a User Song, the resulting User Song can actually use up to 16 channels, depending on whether or not you record any tracks with the Dual Voice turned on, and whether or not you record an Accompaniment track. The channels used by the Main Voice and (if applicable) the Dual Voice will vary from track to track so they won't conflict with each other. For example, if I remember correctly Track 1 records the Main Voice to channel 1 and the Dual Voice to channel 11, whereas Track 2 records the Main Voice to channel 2 and the Dual Voice to channel 12, but I might be wrong about that. I think Track 6 records the Accompaniment events-- that is, the Style Number, Style Volume, Style Variation, chord changes, and section changes-- to channel 6. The channels might get rearranged when you use the Save SMF operation to convert a User Song to a MIDI song file. They might also get rearranged when you use the Song Out setting to output a User Song to the computer.

As far as recording multiple keyboard tracks in a DAW, you can normally output only three channels at once-- Main (1), Dual (2), and Split (3), with Dual essentially being a carbon copy of Main except for any difference in their octave offsets. So the normal procedure would be to record up to three channels at once in the DAW, then record up to three more channels, and so on. Note that this assumes you aren't using a style, but if you are then those channels could also be recorded in the DAW.

Let's say you are going to record only one voice at a time-- the Main Voice, which is output on channel 1. You would add a new MIDI track in your DAW, select the keyboard as the MIDI source port, and indicate that you want to record only channel 1. When you start recording the track, you'll need to use the Initial Send operation to send the keyboard's settings to the DAW before you actually start to play, so the selected voice and all of its voice settings will be captured at the beginning of the track.

Alternatively, you could record the track without using the Initial Send operation, but then you would need to set up the desired voice and all of its voice settings in the track's settings.

After you record one track, you would add another new MIDI track in your DAW, select the keyboard as the MIDI source port, and indicate that you want to record only channel 1. Then you would need to be sure that you arm the new track for recording but do not arm the track(s) you've already recorded, since you don't want to record over them. Once you've recorded the new track, you should be able to use the DAW's functions to change the MIDI channel number on all of the events in the new track.

Alternatively, you could leave each track's MIDI events on channel 1 as they were recorded, and simply change the track's settings to send them back to the keyboard on different channels.

When you're done, you should be able to play back all of the tracks at once and send them to the keyboard on different channels to be sounded and recorded to an audio track. Or you might prefer to play back each track by itself and record the audio to its own individual audio track, such that you end up with multiple audio tracks. That way you can edit and adjust each audio track as desired before mixing them all down to a final recording.

What's your DAW?

3dc

Reaction score
First thank you for your help!

This is so confusing. o_O

I am reading in E463 MIDI Reference that this keyboard is a 16-channel multi-timbral tone generator and so I foolishly assumed that this means you can in theory construct a song from up to 16 voices (1 voice per channel) and 48 polyphony. I also assumed that every decent DAW has 16 IN and OUT channels so you can use them FREELY to construct a song in DAW from E463 MIDI performance and voices. I guess I was totally wrong.

What baffles me is a comprehensive E463 Data List of all voices you can use in EXTERNAL DAW with BANK SELECT and MIDI PROGRAM CHANGE numbers. These numbers are apparently used to control your keyboard voices from the DAW. In Reaper DAW which is the one I am using you can remap the track voice from the DAW with ReaControlMIDI. Why do you need that feature? You can select the same voice directly from a keyboard and record it on keyboard. On top of this you can actually use 6 TRACKS in E463 to construct a song but only one channel and one voice at time in far more capable DAW.

This doesn't make any sense to me. There must be a simple way to construct a multitrack song in DAW from MIDI and E463 voices.

I am searching for days for tutorials on YT and Google about MIDI, MUSIC KEYBOARD and DAW combination but the world is flooded with information for midi controllers, VSTs and samples. Apparently no one in the world is using arranger style music keyboard with MIDI and DAW. :(

This is soooo frustrating. Anyway thanks again for clarification and help.

3dc

Reaction score
So yesterday I was reading @SeaGtGruff last post several times and I couldn't understand what was he talking about. Then this morning it clicked! I went on Reaper DAW tutorials to check if I understand things correctly and sure enough it all makes sense now.

Today I learned something new:
  1. Apparently no one is using midi multi track recordings of the E463 voices because you can record directly audio and midi for each voice from E463. Most people use multi track audio recording anyway for song construction.
  2. You can record and edit with absolute precision audio files in the same way as you can record and edit midi files in DAW. I thought you can do this only trough midi editing in order to get a precise audio file.
  3. Essentially in my case I would only need MIDI for precise drums recording or complex step sequencing. The rest could be recorded or rendered directly as audio.
  4. In theory you can make a whole orchestra recording just from E463 voices.
  5. Apparently MIDI Program Change is usually used to change instrument voice during recording and in specific time on the track. Not sure how this works in Reaper DAW with E463. I don't need this feature anyway. :p
Thanks once again @SeaGtGruff ! :)

Ask a Question