Electric Dust.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
DUST! :(

The keybed's worst nightmare.

I religiously cover my keyboard day and night. I have a proper cover which fits snugly over the whole unit.
It is made of some kind of plastic/vinyl and is flexible.

However, I often see small particles of dust on my keys and I wonder how on earth does it get in under the cover?
I give the keys a wipe over with a soft antistatic cloth and all's good.
The next day, same again. Dust particles.
It dawned on me today how it is.
Or my theory at least and if true it is a trap for us all to avoid.
I think being plastic that static electricity is present and when I remove the cover and place it elsewhere, on the floor or a chair, the dust is attracted to it like a magnet. When i place the cover back onto the keys, the electricity subdudes and the dust falls off onto the keys. That is my theory.

So now when I remove the cover, I am going to fold it in half before placing it on the floor or chair. This wont allow dust to get in.
I will give it a try and report back in a couple of days.
Any thoughts or ideas most welcome
Ray

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You've pretty much answered your own question Ray.

However, the dust is not coming directly from the cover either.

Whenever you slide the cover on and off it accumulates a static charge on both the keyboard and the cover, so both are at fault when it comes to attracting airborne dust particles.

Like it or not it's impossible to keep the keyboard entirely 100% dust free unless you are only playing it wearing an antistatic bunny suit in an industrial clean room.

The fact that you are keeping it covered when not it use is good enough and it will probably be the capacitors or cable connectors that corrode in 30 years before dust causes your key contacts to fail.

Just remember to keep in mind the golden rule!

NEVER EAT BALONEY AND SAUERKRAUT SANDWICHES WHILE YOU'RE PLAYING THE PIANO!@!!!!

Gary :D

Reaction score
Like it or not it's impossible to keep the keyboard entirely 100% dust free unless you are only playing it wearing an antistatic bunny suit in an industrial clean room.
Yep have to agree with this. But the more effort you make the better off your 'board will be - so keep doing what you're doing Ray.

My keys are never uncovered except when playing but they also accumulate dust particles. Such is life.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
So now when I remove the cover, I am going to fold it in half before placing it on the floor or chair.

I have been doing this since I posted original.
I can honestly report back now that dust on the keys is mininal to none.
I have just proven the magnetic effect of static electricity attracting and releasing dust.

There has been discussions about dust covers on another thread. My report is relevant I feel.

cheers from "Busy Ray" (moving house)

Reaction score
Glad to hear you are sorted and good luck with the house move.

Bear with me, one of my many jobs was as a Hospital Engineer where the bain of our lives was static, the powers that be changed the supplier and hence material of the nurses uniforms with the resultant effect was that frequently their movement self generated static and as soon as they touched water taps (faucets) they discharged the static. We therefore always had reports of electrically live surfaces which my staff were tasked with responding to. It took a lot of convincing that it was the material of the uniforms that were the source of the problem.

So do take care with your keyboard covers as the choice of fabric can make a great deal of difference in the performance of the cover, look for one with anti static material.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Glad to hear you are sorted and good luck with the house move.
Thanks Col.
A few weeks ago my wife and I saw a lovely property near by for sale. We bought it instantly on impulse.
A sudden decision threw my life into choas.
What about my business?
I decided to pull up stumps.
So the last few weeks I have been winding down. I ripped out my workshop and currently in the process of selling my equipment, benches, tools, etc..
Much to the disapproval of my customers and sad in a way for myself . . an end of an era . . but start of a new lifestyle.
We sold our house quickly and now in the transition period getting ready for the move. . . Definitely a "downsize"
I must say, Col some of your retirement stories over the past couple of years have inspired me to move into retirement. Also the arthritic knuckles are taking a toll restricting my work on the tools.

Sadly my favourite band came to town last month (EOPF) and being so busy I had to relinquish my ticket.

Looking forward now to settling down and spending more time on the keys.
Ray

Reaction score
You have some great properties there in Oz we saw quite a few great ones in the hills behind Melbourne when we were there a few years ago, we were visiting my Wifes Sister in Perth and we went walkabout to Melbourne and Cairns. Saw great houses in Perth, 3000 ft sq, 6 bed, miniscule plot but that is all there seems to be there.

That is a good theory about retirement ..... spending more time on the keyboard.

All I have managed today is 10 minutes of improv.

Ironic the you have moved, we have been out today looking at properties as I have the moving bug. In the last 40 years I have only lived permanently in 3 houses so its probably understandable having the moving itch.

I am a seasider, or as the saying goes where I was born and raised “a sand grown un” and I long to get back nearer the sea than we are at present, someplace where we can walk there.

The search continues next week after I whittle down a shortlist from the 500 results in our price range that one online agency produced.

Reaction score
Wait another ten years and the sea will be at your doorstep without having to move :p

Gary ;)

It would have to raise by 60 foot to be on my doorstep now, and 30 foot before the property of interest has the waves lapping at its door.

At least in the intervening period I will be able to use the Grandkids bucket and spades on the beach making sand castles and sand sculptures!

Now that got me thinking, global warming and rising sea levels, cannot say I have seen any reports on how it will affect inland areas!

I did see a report that stated that if the Labrador Current increased in flow it could affect the Gulf Stream which could plunge the whole of Europe into a mini iceage.

Now the Labrador Current runs south from Canada ergo the Canadians are potentially the cause of global warming.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Don't forget to take into account increased storm swells and tidal waves.

It may prove wisest to remain where you are.

If the oceans rise another 10 feet you might see some flooding in your area by the end of the decade.

60 ft above sea level ain't exactly a huge margin of error.

Personally I'm a few hundred feet above sea level but only about 100 ft above Lake Ontario.

Close enough for comfort.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Gary

The problem could be in the future you throw a brick in Lake Ontario and a Tsunami wipes out Ireland and swamps most of GB.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm just saying you should ask around the neighbourhood you plan to buy in if they've had any close calls in the past decade ever since we started getting all the mega storms.

Joke all you want, but trying to sell a house with water damage in the basement is harder than getting rid of herpes. :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
One problem we have is that houses in the UK tend to now be built on flood plains.

Which is what lead to the west of London floods that happened a few years ago.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
They've been doing that here in North America now for the past 40 years as well.

The result has been chronic flooding every springtime in certain areas to the point where insurance companies will no longer issue coverage.

With a changing climate it would be very wise to do your research REALLY CAREFULLY before you buy.

Check with your local insurance companies in your area to find out the high risk areas.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Very true Gary, we have an excellent small town in our Lake District that is repeatedly flooded and the residents struggle with insurance with the town being flooded twice in 10 years.

A couple of years ago a major road in the Lake District was completely washed away in a storm resulting in the kids having to do a 40 mile detour to get to school. It took 18 months for the Council there to repair the damage and stabilise the hillside.

Reaction score
DUST! :(

The keybed's worst nightmare.

I religiously cover my keyboard day and night. I have a proper cover which fits snugly over the whole unit.
It is made of some kind of plastic/vinyl and is flexible.

However, I often see small particles of dust on my keys and I wonder how on earth does it get in under the cover?
I give the keys a wipe over with a soft antistatic cloth and all's good.
The next day, same again. Dust particles.
It dawned on me today how it is.
Or my theory at least and if true it is a trap for us all to avoid.
I think being plastic that static electricity is present and when I remove the cover and place it elsewhere, on the floor or a chair, the dust is attracted to it like a magnet. When i place the cover back onto the keys, the electricity subdudes and the dust falls off onto the keys. That is my theory.

So now when I remove the cover, I am going to fold it in half before placing it on the floor or chair. This wont allow dust to get in.
I will give it a try and report back in a couple of days.
Any thoughts or ideas most welcome
Ray
Hi there Ray dust can be a keyboard killer I will follow what you have done my good friend Jon D. new member.

Ask a Question