Electric Dust.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
DUST! :(

The keybed's worst nightmare.

I religiously cover my keyboard day and night. I have a proper cover which fits snugly over the whole unit.
It is made of some kind of plastic/vinyl and is flexible.

However, I often see small particles of dust on my keys and I wonder how on earth does it get in under the cover?
I give the keys a wipe over with a soft antistatic cloth and all's good.
The next day, same again. Dust particles.
It dawned on me today how it is.
Or my theory at least and if true it is a trap for us all to avoid.
I think being plastic that static electricity is present and when I remove the cover and place it elsewhere, on the floor or a chair, the dust is attracted to it like a magnet. When i place the cover back onto the keys, the electricity subdudes and the dust falls off onto the keys. That is my theory.

So now when I remove the cover, I am going to fold it in half before placing it on the floor or chair. This wont allow dust to get in.
I will give it a try and report back in a couple of days.
Any thoughts or ideas most welcome
Ray

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You've pretty much answered your own question Ray.

However, the dust is not coming directly from the cover either.

Whenever you slide the cover on and off it accumulates a static charge on both the keyboard and the cover, so both are at fault when it comes to attracting airborne dust particles.

Like it or not it's impossible to keep the keyboard entirely 100% dust free unless you are only playing it wearing an antistatic bunny suit in an industrial clean room.

The fact that you are keeping it covered when not it use is good enough and it will probably be the capacitors or cable connectors that corrode in 30 years before dust causes your key contacts to fail.

Just remember to keep in mind the golden rule!

NEVER EAT BALONEY AND SAUERKRAUT SANDWICHES WHILE YOU'RE PLAYING THE PIANO!@!!!!

Gary :D

Ad

Advertisements

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Thanks for the moral support and backing my theory Gary. Much appreciated.
I solemnly promise not to eat and play. No sticky fingers!

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Like it or not it's impossible to keep the keyboard entirely 100% dust free unless you are only playing it wearing an antistatic bunny suit in an industrial clean room.
Yep have to agree with this. But the more effort you make the better off your 'board will be - so keep doing what you're doing Ray.

My keys are never uncovered except when playing but they also accumulate dust particles. Such is life.

Ask a Question