External speakers for CSP-170

Reaction score
Hello, good people :)

I recently purchased a CSP-170, which - of course - I am very happy with!

However - switching from a CVP-model, the built-in speakers was a wee bit disappointing compared to the ones I had in the previous piano.

I went to visit a local Yamaha-dealer, and he recommended 2 Yamaha HS-7's and a HS8S subwoofer. We hooked them up, and they sounded better than the built-in speakers (of course), but the sub kicked in almost from one note to the next, and that sounded really weird. Nothing on C3, but on A2/B2 it was full throttle. We tried adjusting pretty much everything (low cut, high cut, phase, level...) but really not much difference.

What do you guys think - this is perhaps normal sub behaviour? I have never used a separate sub on an instrument before, so I'm not sure if what was to be expected.

What would you recommend - full range speakers or should a 2+1 solution work?

Thanks much for any feedback ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I use one of these

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-108248-60-Watt-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B009GUTJ34/

Along with a pair of these

https://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-70-watt-Bi-amplified-Reference-Monitors/dp/B0014IEBM0/

Thru a Yamaha mixer....

In a high rise apartment and I don't notice anything like the behaviour you're describing.

On the no name sub like any half decent sub the cutoff frequencies can be adjusted.

I'm a strong advocate of 2.1 studio monitor solutions but I'd suggest trying a different make and model subwoofer in a different store to see if it's just the Yamaha that's misbehaving.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Heya, Gary!

Thanks bunches for your reply :D

Yes, I was very surprised that it was so distinct, even after fiddling with the filter- and level-knobs.

Will follow your advice and test some more 2.1 setups before giving up!

Thanks again ;)

Reaction score
Hi PepsiMax

I am considering purchasing the csp 170 but am a little concerned about the sound output after reading your post.

Out of interest what cvp did you have before so that I can compare the tech details?

Many thanks

GC

Reaction score
Heya, GC!

Now that I've had the CSP for a while, it's not too shabby actually. It took a little getting used to for me, but it's unfair to compare it to the CVP-210 (since the prices for the two also are/were quite different) that I had, so no need to worry. It's a sweet piano for sure :)

Reaction score
Hi PepsiMax

Many thanks for the info. I just need to get in front of one now to see for myself.

In general terms, have you been satisifed with the teaching tech that the CSP has, in partical the Stream Lights and Audio To Score through the iPad?

Also, do you consider the CSP to be a serious alterntaive to the mid to upper CLP series painos?

Thanks again for your help

GC

Reaction score
Heya!

Sorry for the late reply.

To be brutally honest with you, I haven't used that part very much (tested it once just to see how it worked). I know that must sound weird, since it's one of the CSP-models most talked about features :)

The reason I picked the CSP was mainly because they have moved a lot of the interface stuff to the iPad instead of on the piano itself (which should make future upgrades easier) and the quality of the sounds (which are actually quite good).

PM

Ask a Question