Fatar TP 40L, but lighter?

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've grown to love the TP 40L on my Kurzweil, but it's a heavy keyboard. I went searching for a list of those that use the TP 40L but haven't come across one. Does anyone know where I could find one? Many thanks.

Reaction score
I'm not aware of another board with that action. But also, even though the TP40L is a light feeling keyboard to play, the TP40 mechanism itself is on the heavier side, so it couldn't be used in any super light boards. For comparison, look at the Nord Piano 5 and Nord Piano 2. The 88 key versions use a version of the TP40 that weighs only a bit more than the TP40L, and these Nords weigh almost exactly the same as each other, about 40 lbs. But the 73-key version of that action (in the NP5) still weighs about 34 lbs, while the 73-key action of the heavier feeling but lighter hammer TP100 action in the 73-key version of the NP2 only weighs about 24 lbs!

Reaction score
Right, and he hasn't mentioned which Kurzweil he has... but the boards you mention top 50 lbs, as do I believe all the Kurzweil 88s that use this action, and that's the problem.

AFIK the lightest possibility is the Forte 7 at 41.4 lbs, which is still not exactly a lightweight, but might be the best you can do.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Having had personal experience with the Kurzweil PC3K8 as well as a Roland Juno DS88, I can state that transitioning between the 2 was a very comfortable experience. The Juno weighs in at 34 lbs.

The ivory touch is a bit disconcerting at first but you get used to it quickly and with extended use it wears away anyway.

My only real gripe was the lack of channel aftertouch.

Otherwise my recommendation would be if the OP took a test drive on a Juno DS88 or a FA08 or maybe even the new Fantom F8 he might find something he can live with.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question