First beginner Keyboard.

Reaction score
Hi there.

As you can see this is my first post. :p

Anyway, I have been playing guitar for about 2 years or so now and want to get a keyboard as well.

It needs to be as cheap as possible really.
The 2 I am looking at at the moment are:
-Casio LK-110
-Yamaha YPT200

Can anyone tell me which is the better buy and why please? Thanks, also if you recommend other keyboards instead thats totally cool.

Thanks a lot,
Josh:D

Reaction score
I would say the Yahama, they sell pretty decent beginner keyboards

you dont want anything expensive or too fancy for your first one.

My first one(currently is my only one) is my 49 key Yahama.
I like it, but I am still looking for a 61 key so I have requirements for lessons and what not.

Reaction score
OK thanks, anyone else?
The light up keys from the casio could be really useful and innovative but they could just be a gimmick, if it wasnt for those I would have picked the Yamaha anyway.
Does anyone know what the light up keys are like? Are they worth having?

Also what about the Yamaha Educational Suite thing. Which of those is better for learning?

Reaction score
This is a very pro-Yamaha site (Which is OK). Yamaha PSR-E313 sells at big boxes for around $149.99 and would do nicely. Casio CTK-900 goes for around $199.99. They both are 61 key.

My preference is the Casio as it has more sounds, and I prefer the Casio effects over the Yamaha. I have a WK-3200 that has been a nice light workhorse.

Both units can be plugged in to an amp (they have their own speakers too 5Watts) or PA which is a plus.

Lighted key boards are gimmicky. Either one should be fun. ;)

Good Luck

Reaction score
Cool thanks, at the moment I'm going for the Yamaha, soon as I get the money, nearly there now, just brought a new acoustic guitar as well.
Also I'm in the U.K the first Yamaha you mentioned costs about $180-190 here, same increase on the Casio as well.
Those prices are good but I don't really want to spend anymore than I have to on this, is the Yamaha I mentioned decent enough for a first keyboard, bearing in mind I'm my second instrument after guitar?
Thanks

Reaction score
Hi all,

Well today I went and brought the yamaha for £70, which was a bargin here in the UK, Argos if anyone else is intrested, also came with the mains adaptor which they do not on most other sites.

Anyway I am very happy with it for my first keyboard great for the price only thing I would that I would want that it doesn't have is sensitive keys but for the money I paid I would not have got that!

So very happy with it, as I play guitar I have already got some chords down etc, really helps for music theory, keyboard/piano is easily most theory helpful instrument out there.

Currently having a go at 'let it be' by the beatles.

I have a slight disadvantage in that I am left handed! :(
Like being left handed but things like this are very annoying:)

Ask a Question