first keyboard purchase

Reaction score
I've got a desk top also...it's newer and faster than the lap top....might be a good option yes....

Do I need to purchase the "sound generator" along with the controller?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Exactly what brand and model is this "sound generator" and how much does he want for it?

Essentially he's talking about a rack sound module.

They come in all shapes and sizes and prices ranging from a few hundred to a couple of thousand dollars.

Software alone and the cable I mentioned are enough to make it work with your computer as a standalone synth.

But owning a hardware module is a good thing and allows you to play anytime you like without having to fire up the whole computer.

A sound module would require also a pair of 5 pin MIDI cables.

Gary

Last edited:
Reaction score
Gary...that's three info I needed... Not sure of the brand, or size, but he's asking $100. I think it would be a good thing to give me freedom from the computer....

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Without knowing the make and model I can't say if he's offering you a deal or if he's gouging you.

Find out what it is and check the price on this site.

http://www.prepal.com/

According to them the KX88 still sells for around $440 so actually I don't think this guy is trying to burn you.

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Reaction score
Ok guys..... Thank you again for all the input. I'm still fairly unlearned in all this midi stuff, but you all helped he tremendously. My decision was for the Yamaha KX88 with a Proteus/1 sound module. Total cost for the setup was $300. Plus $30 for a nice Proline double stand from a different source. I've plugged it all in....played around a bit, and am very satisfied.... This keyboard is more than I had hoped for at a price that was less. Now....what are the black keys for????? Lol

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The black keys are where you stick your sandwiches between so they stand up straight at lunchtime... ;)

Anyway, have fun with your vintage equipment. Sounds like you found a decent rig for a decent price.

Gary

Ask a Question