For the audio experts...

Reaction score
Right, some more help, please.

With my Kross 2 88 in my appartment, I’m going to be using my iPad with various music apps. I’ve got the Apple Camera USB connection kit, so I’m covered there.
But here’s my question : the Kross 2 supports audio over USB, so assuming I use a Bluetooth speaker, like the JBL Extreme 2, will I be able to hear the Kross 2, as well as the iPad, through the speaker ?
Part 2 : will I still hear both the Kross and the iPad when connecting headphones to the Kross (long shot, but I’ll ask anyway).

Secondly : at my house, I have the Krome EX 88 and the PA1000. The Krome is connected to the Line-in of the PA1000. So far, so good.
Now, I would ideally also like to use my iPad Pro with these boards (instead of my MB Pro). Of course, with the Apple connector kit, I can only connect to one board through USB, contrarily to the MB Pro which has more than one USB port.

I know there’s no way to use the speakers of the PA1000 to run the sound of the iPad through, as the line-in is already occupied by the Krome EX, and neither the Krome EX nor PA1000 support audio over USB.
What would be the best way to get sound from all 3 devices, the Krome EX, PA1000 and the iPad, possibly by also using the aforementioned JBL Extreme 2 ?
Been googling and found something called iRig though as a layman, it’s not immediately clear which one to pick or whether it will solve my problem at all. Do I throw regular MIDI connections into the mix, or not, etc.

Don’t want to bother with amps or monitor speakers, since the JBL Extreme 2 is so portable, as is the iPad, it would be very easy to move from house to appartment with minimal configuration. So if I can get it to work like I’m thinking it’ll work, I might sell the Laney AH150, which will more than cover the cost of the JBL…
Part 2 : same scenario but with headphones, with sound from all three devices…

This is all for home use, as I have no intention whatsoever to go gigging, on stage or anywhere else...

Reaction score
Just read some stuff on audio lag with Bluetooth speakers. Back to the drawing board, then.
Basically, I just need a way to hear the iPad Pro as well as the boards.
Not asking for much :p

Reaction score
You can select the USB audio output format in your iPad Pro to connect to accessories rather than headphones.

I assume that your iPar Pro only uses headphones or earbuds with a USB C plug.

A Mixer will enable multiple source inputs (second keyboard, guitar, mike, iPad etc) and the output can go to the PA1000 audio inputs. Just ensure the Gain for each is set at zero before you power up then adjust the Gain of each input source of the Mixer to suit.

The problem is what interface device will work between the iPad Pro and the Mixer?

I do not have an answer to that primarily because the likes of iRig kit is for inputting to an iPad rather than outputting but I may be wrong in this presumption.

Reaction score
I guess I'm trying to overcomplicate things again...

For the Kross 2, no problem, I'll just keep my Laney amp for the sound, and connect the iPad to the Laney with TRS mini-jack to RCA on the amp (my iPad has a lightning connector for data, but it also has a 3.5 minijack output, unlike the iPhones). For USB, only one keyboard so the Apple camera connector will do.

As for the Krome EX/PA1000 combo, a small mixer will probably be best for the sound : connect both the Krome EX and iPad to the mixer, then output that to the PA1000.
But not sure yet as to what the best solution is to connect both the PA1000 and Krome EX to the iPad for data. Don't think that a simple USB splitter will do, or a small hub, if I want the iPad to detect both boards.
Still, there should be some smallish, lightweight solution to this...

Reaction score
It could be good that your iPad has a 3.5mm jack.

I can connect up my Mixer and my 3.5 mm jacked iPad to my PA700 to see if this will work OK for you, let me know if you would like me to test it out for you.

If it functions OK then you can easily be sorted.

Reaction score
Audio wise, I'm good, but I still need some way of connecting both the PA1000 and Krome EX to the iPad via USB to be able to use Garageband or other software with it...

Reaction score
I would think that a MIDI hub would be required, one with multiple inputs/outputs like this

But my MIDI knowledge is lacking and hopefully Michael or Gary can fill in the missing How To bits

Reaction score
Thanks !
Maybe this will do the trick ?

Reaction score
If I use something like this iConnectivity or any other brand MIDI interface, I would need to four MIDI cables, if I'm not mistaken, to have bi-directional MIDI-data transfer between both keyboards and the iPad Pro. Right ? Please correct me if I'm mistaken, I'm a MIDI novice...

But wouldn't my problem be solved if I just got a small powered USB-hub, using the USB connections on the keyboard ? USB MIDI is already bi-directional so all I'd have to do is connect the two keyboards to the hub, the hub to the iPad using the Apple Camera USB adapter. A small mixer for the audio and presto ?

Some advice, please...

Reaction score
Anybody ?
What would be the best solution, a MIDI interface of just a regular USB hub for use with Garageband or Korg Gadget 2, or other music apps on the iPad ?

Read this on the net :
"You'd think that new technology meant better... but while MIDI over USB is faster, bi-directional and offers a lot more routing flexibility compared to plain old 5 PIN MIDI cables, it brings along one big flaw (sorry... feature...) of USB - the fact that one side needs to be a host and another a device. With that, one of the most beautiful features of MIDI was thrown out the window with USB MIDI: One USB device just cannot speak directly with another USB device "

So, got thinking. When using a USB hub, in essence connecting the PA1000 and Krome EX (being the USB devices) to the USB hub, which in turn, is connected to the iPad Pro (which is the USB Host) using the Apple USB adapter, I should be able to use both keyboards in, for example, Garageband. The keyboards would just be communicating with the host, i.e. the iPad, and not with eachother (which means I wouldn't be able to play the sounds of the Krome EX on the PA1000, or vice versa. Right ?
I would be using this hub, by the way :

Contrarily, when using the aforementioned iConnectivity :
the keyboards would not only be communicating separately with the iPad (MIDI host in this case), but also with eachother, through the MIDI interface. Right ?

So, in essence, the MIDI interface would offer greater flexibility as far as inoperability is concerned, am I right ?
Or maybe, I could just use a USB hub, connecting both keyboards through USB, AND connecting the Krome EX and PA1000 to eachother using two MIDI cables (out to in, in to out) ?
Could someone confirm, deny and/or clarify this ?

Reaction score
Anybody ?
What would be the best solution, a MIDI interface of just a regular USB hub for use with Garageband or Korg Gadget 2, or other music apps on the iPad ?

Read this on the net :
"You'd think that new technology meant better... but while MIDI over USB is faster, bi-directional and offers a lot more routing flexibility compared to plain old 5 PIN MIDI cables, it brings along one big flaw (sorry... feature...) of USB - the fact that one side needs to be a host and another a device. With that, one of the most beautiful features of MIDI was thrown out the window with USB MIDI: One USB device just cannot speak directly with another USB device "

So, got thinking. When using a USB hub, in essence connecting the PA1000 and Krome EX (being the USB devices) to the USB hub, which in turn, is connected to the iPad Pro (which is the USB Host) using the Apple USB adapter, I should be able to use both keyboards in, for example, Garageband. The keyboards would just be communicating with the host, i.e. the iPad, and not with eachother (which means I wouldn't be able to play the sounds of the Krome EX on the PA1000, or vice versa. Right ?
I would be using this hub, by the way :

Contrarily, when using the aforementioned iConnectivity :
the keyboards would not only be communicating separately with the iPad (MIDI host in this case), but also with eachother, through the MIDI interface. Right ?

So, in essence, the MIDI interface would offer greater flexibility as far as inoperability is concerned, am I right ?
Or maybe, I could just use a USB hub, connecting both keyboards through USB, AND connecting the Krome EX and PA1000 to eachother using two MIDI cables (out to in, in to out) ?
Could someone confirm, deny and/or clarify this ?

Re you last para

If you connected the Krome to the 1000 via MIDI and played say a Grand Piano on the Krome then what would come out of the 1000 would be the nearest Grand Piano sound that is inbuilt in the 1000.

At to your comments:-
No experts here ?
Or have I outstayed my welcome ?

I will decline to respond adversely to you, I give advice freely and do not seek anything other than a thankyou or a simple click on the LIKE

Reaction score
Only needed confirmation, nothing more. And since nobody answered, I figured that either nobody knew the answer, or I that I had effectively outstayed my welcome by asking too many questions...
It’s a discussion forum, is it not ? So, let’s discuss...

@Biggles You’re the only one answering, so thank you :cool: I’ll give you a like and all...

Reaction score
Ask questions by all means.

I for one can only offer an answer if the topic is within my limited knowledge base.

eg MIDI is a dark art that I am only just slowly getting to grips with.

Ask a Question