Gear 4 Music

Reaction score
Hi
I am in the process of saving for a better Keyboard but like to every so often look at what's available online. The Gear 4 Music site kept popping up and i was ignoring it. Anyway yesterday i decided to take a look and was quite surprised at how cheap some of the Digital Piano's were. I think it's their own range the SDP ones which were drawing me in simply because of the cost. I won't be buying anything for another month to 6 weeks, i just want something that's half decent and actually sounds good. Does anyone have any experience with the SDP range or am i better sticking with a better known brand like Yamaha or Casio etc.
Thanks In Advance.

Reaction score
I have not bought anything myself from G4M but they do keep popping up.

I would tend to buy new keyboard kit from A&C Hamilton, Music Matters, Promenade Music or Rimmers who are all local to me, others such as Andertons or Bonners have a good rep.

Best to give your shortlist a play first, do check T&C’s prior as if you buy in shop they may well be different from online buys.

Reaction score
Can't go out due to a condition i have so generally have to get things online, that's probably why i have so many questions. Like you i have no experience of G4M so thought i would ask on here. I think if the Video's are anything to go on, the SDP range actually sound pretty good though i haven't really compared them to Yamaha or Roland for example which also cost quite a bit more. I was looking at the Alessi Recital which still uses RCA connections which kind of put me off as they are pretty dated. I will find something, my Price Range is pretty low at £400 to £450, the good ones seem to be above that hence me looking at lesser known brands.
Thanks for the reply @Biggles i appreciate your input, i had a similar problem finding a decent Banjo at a good price so quite used to hunting things down.

Reaction score
Some suggestions.

Yamaha NP32 @ £280
Yamaha P121, 73 keys at c£450
Casio S1000 88 keys @ £499

Not digital pianos but they do have a 76 key keybed and a whole lot more features and sounds.

Casio WK 7600 @ £399
Yamaha PSR EW410 @ £359

Reaction score
Thanks Again @Biggles , I have my heart set on a 88 key keyboard but will keep your suggestions in mind, i have plenty of time so won't be rushing into buying something, who knows what bargains can pop up in the next month or so. I love some of the Grand Piano sounds that i have heard on You tube etc hence me looking at Digital Piano's.

Reaction score
Which piano sounds that you have listened to that you like?

ie
Keyboard make?
Which included piano sound?

There is a vast and I mean vast difference in tonal quality between the thousands of piano sounds out there.

To give you my own favourite which is the default piano voice on my P121, I am not really a fan of Yamaha kit in general but imo they have the best piano sounds in the up to £600 market but not necessarily the most responsive keybed.

It all becomes subjective and a personal choice in the end, but if you do find a piano voice you like do check the models either side to see if the same piano voice is in them, it is not always the case.

Reaction score
I quite liked the Yamaha P45 and the Casio CDP S100 which to be honest sounded almost identical to my ears, also the Roland FP30 sounded nice as well. I Think the Yamaha P125 might be just out of my budget. I liked the Piano Sound and on the P45 i think the Strings sounded good as well. But it's the Piano sound that i like mainly although other instrument sounds sounded ok as well.

Reaction score
Been looking at the Roland Go 88 Digital Piano and liking the overall look of it, either that or the Roland FP10. I think one of the best selling points of it to me is the Bluetooth. I have looked at loads of Piano's and not seen many with this feature. I quite like the Korg B2 as well and these 3 Keyboards seem to be the front runners so far. Can i ask if anyone has any experience with the 3 mentioned, Thanks In Advance.

Reaction score
No, no, no, no.

The Go Range are for kids!

Go Piano is awful, the tones are poor, the bodies are 70's plastic and the action is like sticky fingers have got jam in the action which is not weighted btw.

They had one on display in the shop where I bought my P121 from and I had a play of it out of curiosity, I have even owned a Go Keys which I bought for the Grandkids to entertain themselves on, the novelty of it soon wore off and it was returned.

Should you decide to give one a try do order from a store where you can return it foc.

Reaction score
Glad you told me about them @Biggles , i thought they were the same as the FP30 and saw them as a bargain. I was going to mention what i like and want on here anyway so people like you can steer me in the right direction. I am still in the process of saving so won't be rushing in and buying one. I should have the cash in about 4 weeks so kind of looking at the lay of the land. Was looking at the Yamaha P-45 but read someone's review saying it was poor, glad i found this forum to be honest.

Reaction score
Do have a read of my thread.

https://www.keyboardforums.com/threads/digital-pianos-c£500-750-usd-€600-860-cnd-960-aud.30702/

It is about my trials and tribulations looking for a lowish cost digital piano.

It is now a year later and the Yamaha P121 has served me well, but I have learned that I do miss having arranger features.

The P121 is exactly the same as the P125 except that it has 73 keys, onboard piano sounds are imo very good as is the keybed.

I am looking at buying another keyboard myself but as Korg has not updated their arrangers I am considering buying one of the new Yamaha DGX670 digital pianos or a Casio S3000 instead of a Korg and both these two models have 88 keys with onboard arranger features.

Finally I suggest that you save a bit longer and go for a slightly higher spec model. The P45 has 10 voices and a max polophny of 96 whereas the P121/125 has 24 voices and a max polyphony of 192.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks again @Biggles . I think i am going to save a bit extra and get the Yamaha 125, it seems to have everything i like and by the reviews i have watched seems like a good piano, if it sounds as nice in reality as it does on video i think i am going to be a happy bunny. Grand Piano sounds amazing on it.

Reaction score
Hi
I am in the process of saving for a better Keyboard but like to every so often look at what's available online. The Gear 4 Music site kept popping up and i was ignoring it. Anyway yesterday i decided to take a look and was quite surprised at how cheap some of the Digital Piano's were. I think it's their own range the SDP ones which were drawing me in simply because of the cost. I won't be buying anything for another month to 6 weeks, i just want something that's half decent and actually sounds good. Does anyone have any experience with the SDP range or am i better sticking with a better known brand like Yamaha or Casio etc.
Thanks In Advance.
My Korg M50 (they come in 76 key, too) had done of the best piano sounds I've EVER heard. I picked mine up for $450 usd years ago, I can imagine they would only be cheaper by now.

Ask a Question