Getting an EV5 pedal to work with RD88

Reaction score
Hi, I've just bought a brand new RD88 and EV5 pedal to control overall volume. I've tried everything but cannot get the keyboard to 'save' any volume settings I use with it. I've tried writing 'scenes' and 'SYS' settings but nothing saves and it always reverts back to its default setting of 'soste: CC66' if I try and select another sound. I've tried both jack 1 and 2 inputs but still the same result. I press 'shift' and hit the pedal which takes me to the 'Assign' screen. I then select either 'vol:CC07 or EXP:CC11 as suggested by Roland then 'write' this using either 'scene' or 'SYS' which doesn't matter as none of them 'save'. l want to have volume foot control over every sound I select so is this not possible on the RD88? Am I missing something? Anybody ever used an RD88 with an EV5 volume pedal? I've written to Roland but nothing back yet! Many thanks

Reaction score
Hi, I've just bought a brand new RD88 and EV5 pedal to control overall volume. I've tried everything but cannot get the keyboard to 'save' any volume settings I use with it. I've tried writing 'scenes' and 'SYS' settings but nothing saves and it always reverts back to its default setting of 'soste: CC66' if I try and select another sound. I've tried both jack 1 and 2 inputs but still the same result. I press 'shift' and hit the pedal which takes me to the 'Assign' screen. I then select either 'vol:CC07 or EXP:CC11 as suggested by Roland then 'write' this using either 'scene' or 'SYS' which doesn't matter as none of them 'save'. l want to have volume foot control over every sound I select so is this not possible on the RD88? Am I missing something? Anybody ever used an RD88 with an EV5 volume pedal? I've written to Roland but nothing back yet! Many thanks
I've now figured out this problem over the weekend so I no longer need help!

Reaction score
So you came here for help, expecting someone to give you the answer; but when you found your answer you couldnt take 5 seconds to share it so that others could benefit in the future.....

Reaction score
Hello delaware dave...I figured it out by trial and error and in contact with the shop where I bought it e.g. it would take me ages to outline exactly what I did, though I'd be happy to try and help someone with specific questions (you don't seem to own this model). Suffice it to say that when I received the keyboard it did not respond to the simple way to just plugging in a pedal, which Roland show on Youtube but needs one to go deeper into such as Scene Edit etc., (concepts new to me) and saving them individually. Eventually, I found that only buttons 1-9 responded to the pedal, but not the pianos 1-10 under the 0 button - these being the main ones I wanted to use. Finally, I figured this out by having to save each 'scene' of the piano and not the 'SYS' aspect of it - none of which is explained anywhere to my knowledge. I originally did a search to see if anyone else had had this problem but couldn't find anyone so assumed it was just me! Having said all that, if anyone has similar problems to what I experienced, I'd be happy to help. Just to say thanks for contacting me.

Last edited:

Ask a Question