Getting reacquainted with

Reaction score
Hi I’m Pete. I play sax and am getting reacquainted with keyboards. I have quite a few (they sound great) but I wish I knew more about the type I’ve purchased. Is there a thread which focuses on arrangers? Or a book someone could recommend? Thanks for having me!

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hi Pete,
What arranger model do you need advice on?
There are many threads scattered throughout these forums. .
Many arranger people here to help you . . Any specific query?
Cheers
Ray

Reaction score
Hey Ray! Thx for your help. I just want to clearly understand what registrations are, why they’re important, and specifically how Technics boards (Technics SX KN6500) implement this feature. I play sax and played some piano years ago. I recently took keys up again and because of the arranger keyboards ability to provide accompaniment to my playing I choose this type of board. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again Ray.
Cheers!
Pete

Reaction score
Welcome Pete.

Inbuilt into an Arranger keyboard in addition to hundreds or thousands of instrument sounds and Effects that can be applied to them is hundreds of Styles that can be applied to the keyboard.

A Style is an auto accompaniment, such as Sixties pop, rock, ballad, watlz (and many other dance formats including ballroom/modern/disco/salsa etc). A Style is selected and auto play is started typically by playing a chord in the lower end of the keybed. This triggers the selected intro, then there is the three or four selectable main sections for the verses/chorus and a number or selectable endings.

So with an Arranger the keybed would be split into two with the melody line being played right handed and the auto accompaniment controlled via the left which plays the chords/bass lines/selects next style action and instrument sounds.

Typically the sounds will be layered and saved to favourites in Korg format they are called Keyboard Sets.

Now in practice to play a specific song a layered sound is chosen, the applicable style is selected and after the effects are applied to both the layered sounds and to the style it is then saved to a specific location, this is a Registration.

Hence selecting a specific Registration will put the keyboard in play mode for the song for which the registration has been created.

In a Korg these Registrations are saved to the Songbook where it is typically named after the song for which it has been created.

In addition to the Songbook a series of Setlists can be created using the Songbook entries.

Sorry I cannot be specific on a Technics keyboard.

Reaction score
Hello Biggles!
Thanks for such a concise explanation! I appreciate your willingness to help me. It would be nice if keyboard manufacturers didn’t assume you know their jargon and processes before you do. I have a lot to learn but it’s interesting and there’s no beating (except human band mates) the accompaniment arrangers provide. I am a member of a Technics user’s forum but nobody seems to visit regularly. Thanks again!

Cheers,
Pete

Reaction score
Hello Biggles!
Thanks for such a concise explanation! I appreciate your willingness to help me. It would be nice if keyboard manufacturers didn’t assume you know their jargon and processes before you do. I have a lot to learn but it’s interesting and there’s no beating (except human band mates) the accompaniment arrangers provide. I am a member of a Technics user’s forum but few seem to visit regularly. Thanks again!

Cheers,
Pete

Reaction score
Pete.

There are quite a few Arranger users or fanboys here on this forum but they are primarily Yamaha, Korg and Casio users.

If you look at the Korg Youtube channel for videos on their Pa range, then watching 7 or 8 videos will give you a good overview of the features of their Arrangers.

Yamaha and their PSR SX700/900 arrangers have plenty of tutorials on their own website which may help.

OK they are not Technics but the features have a lot of commonality between the manufacturers.

Reaction score
Biggles
I have quite a few arrangers tbh, (too much pandemic time on my hands)! They’re older but the sounds of each appeal to me in different ways. I have a Technics SKN6500, Yamaha PSR 8000, PSR 730, Casio MZX 500, WK 7600, WK 500, and an Arturia Keylab Essential 88. I use the Arturia with GarageBand and Cakewalk. I like the idea of almost limitless sounds that VST’s offer, but connectivity and hauling around a laptop doesn’t reallyappeal to me. I do love the power DAW’s afford a novice keyboard player like me. The PSR 8000 and Technics appeal to me most, but the Casio packs lots of undocumented and under supported power under the hood. I can see myself taking years getting to “know” each board. Tutorials sometimes wash over newbies like me. Any recommendations that start at square one? Thanks Biggles!

PS
I wish I'd gotten a Roland or Korg so as not to have the overlap in brands but oh well…

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey Ray! Thx for your help. I just want to clearly understand what registrations are, why they’re important, and specifically how Technics boards (Technics SX KN6500) implement this feature. I play sax and played some piano years ago. I recently took keys up again and because of the arranger keyboards ability to provide accompaniment to my playing I choose this type of board. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again Ray.
Cheers!
Pete
Register, registerfamilies,registration
In music a register is a group of sounds that belong together on the basis of pitch or timbre.
There are 4 families: flutes,diapasons,strings,reeds.
Flute family : recorder,picolo,tibia,....
Strings family: viola,alro,,cello,douvle bass....
Reed family : trumpet, clarinet,boe, trombone...
Diapason or principals
In the organ family we find 16,8,4,2,1 (and some more)registers under drawbars.
So a registration is a configuration of several sound registers.
From the KN6000 these registers can be found in the soundgroup and assign the desired parts to sections of the keyboard in Left,right2, right1 .
Hopefully this info is useful.
The technics user forum seems unreachable for the moment. ( I have no access.)
stay save
mris

Reaction score
Register, registerfamilies,registration
In music a register is a group of sounds that belong together on the basis of pitch or timbre.
There are 4 families: flutes,diapasons,strings,reeds.
Flute family : recorder,picolo,tibia,....
Strings family: viola,alro,,cello,douvle bass....
Reed family : trumpet, clarinet,boe, trombone...
Diapason or principals
In the organ family we find 16,8,4,2,1 (and some more)registers under drawbars.
So a registration is a configuration of several sound registers.
From the KN6000 these registers can be found in the soundgroup and assign the desired parts to sections of the keyboard in Left,right2, right1 .
Hopefully this info is useful.
The technics user forum seems unreachable for the moment. ( I have no access.)
stay save
mris
mris,
Thx for the reply! I knew that “registration” is applied to organization of instrument families but, on arranger boards, its quite confusing because it seems more is applied than what meets the eye. Compound that with trying to understand what each manufacturer applies to that, and well, you probably get the picture…. Your reply helps me sort things out on an overarching level greatly. Now on to the respective forums. (Technics’ is, IMO, a nightmare).
Don’t get me started on digital drawbars.
I love it though!
Thx again mris! You and everyone stay safe!

Pete

Reaction score
Hi Pete
Technics a nightmare ???
Providing accompaniment to your playing using the KN6500.
You can make your own accompaniment by changing the instruments in the sound arranger.
Even better you can controle the KN via your DAW.(intro, start,stop,endings using bass and chords)
If that is what you are looking after, maybe I can help.
meanwhile stay safe
cheers

Reaction score
Hey mris,
My stream of thought is to blame. The Technics keyboard is the most user friendly I have. I meant the forum seems to be a nightmare. It’s not very active and nobody replies to inquiries. I’m finding that trial and error is probably going to yield the best results.
I like the features of the DAW for use at home, but not so much as a gigging instrument. I don’t gig but I have friends I’m looking forward to playing with soon. As such, I’ve considered selling the Arturia and getting a DGX-670. It’s a great piece of gear but I like the idea of on board sounds as time passes on. The Arturia may just not be for me.
Thanks! Any suggestions or insight you can offer on arrangers is appreciated!
Pete

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hey Pete,
This discussion is getting deep within the specifics of "Technics" . .

There is a Technics Forum here. I don't know anything about Technics models but I see many people here use the Technics forum.

Why not take your questions and discussions over there. I am sure you will get some positive feedback. . . Just click on the menu button top left of screen here and scroll down.

Oh BTW. . Welcome to the forums.

Ray

Reaction score
Hey Pete,
This discussion is getting deep within the specifics of "Technics" . .

There is a Technics Forum here. I don't know anything about Technics models but I see many people here use the Technics forum.

Why not take your questions and discussions over there. I am sure you will get some positive feedback. . . Just click on the menu button top left of screen here and scroll down.

Oh BTW. . Welcome to the forums.

Ray
Ok Ray. Thx.
Pete

Ask a Question