Good "all-in-one" boards for producing 80s style music (synthpop/italo)

Reaction score
Hello there,

Sadly I don't have the time or budget for full time music production and my computer also has compatibility issues with multiple devices like drum machines and keyboards. I often have issues getting a 1984 roland drum machine to work with a modern keyboard.

Frankly I've had enough of all the hassle, I haven't been able to produce a track in over a year because the keyboard won't work with the PC and the drum machine won't work with the keyboard and vice versa.

Are there any good boards out there that will do it all? Something with good 80s sounding synth and bass tones that also have a drum selection and recording feature for producing tracks? It's not ideal, I'd rather transfer my audio files to PC and work on them using a program but I'll have to settle for making basic tracks on the keyboard itself.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time!

Last edited:
Reaction score
As you have not given any indication of budget I will assume that it is about a £1000,

Checkout a Roland FA with a 07 @ c£1000 or 08 @ c£1200, there is a 06 model but the key actions on the 07 & 08 are so much better.

There are onboard multi track recording features and over 1200 onboard sounds plus the free expansion packs that are on the axial.roland website.

I have been researching this keyboard with a view to buying one myself and they are great to play and easy to navigate, layering sounds and customising them is very easy.

In the Roland Youtube channel you will find over 30 how to video tutorials on all aspects of the FA under the Product Support label.

Or

Consider an Arranger keyboard like a Korg Pa 700 @ c£1000 which has very good onboard recording and sounds plus like the Roland additional sounds are available as are pre-configured Songs which can serve as a starter setup. Check out Korg Video Manual tutorials on Youtube for the features of the Pa.

Or

A new Laptop c£500, a MIDI keyboard controller like an Arturia Keylab mk 2 with 61 keys c£380 plus VST packs will get you a quality system.

Reaction score
As you have not given any indication of budget I will assume that it is about a £1000,

Checkout a Roland FA with a 07 @ c£1000 or 08 @ c£1200, there is a 06 model but the key actions on the 07 & 08 are so much better.

There are onboard multi track recording features and over 1200 onboard sounds plus the free expansion packs that are on the axial.roland website.

I have been researching this keyboard with a view to buying one myself and they are great to play and easy to navigate, layering sounds and customising them is very easy.

In the Roland Youtube channel you will find over 30 how to video tutorials on all aspects of the FA under the Product Support label.

Or

Consider an Arranger keyboard like a Korg Pa 700 @ c£1000 which has very good onboard recording and sounds plus like the Roland additional sounds are available as are pre-configured Songs which can serve as a starter setup. Check out Korg Video Manual tutorials on Youtube for the features of the Pa.

Or

A new Laptop c£500, a MIDI keyboard controller like an Arturia Keylab mk 2 with 61 keys c£380 plus VST packs will get you a quality system.

Thanks a lot for the reply and taking the time to write a detailed response, the roland FA series seems great, I have had my eye on them for a while too, but I thought I'd see if there are any other options out there. Considering the features and pricing, the FA series might be a good choice. Thanks a lot! The last option you suggested seems quite interesting, this board is designed particularly with producing music through a DAW on your PC? It would certainly save me a bit of money compared with other options.

Thanks a lot

Reaction score
If you do go the MIDI controller keyboard route do buy with care, the lesser cost units can have pretty questionable keybeds.

I did have an Arturia Keylab Essential which was hit and miss with its action, whereas a Roland A800 I tried had a much better synth action and could be used for serious song play.

Reaction score
Kurzweil PC3. Reasons:
  1. Strong in all sound categories​
  2. semi-weighted keybed is a good compromises for pianos, organs, synths. Not the best keybed for any one category but not 'abrasive' in any category.​
  3. One of the best MIDI controllers on the market allowing additions of modules and an ability to control any of them with sliders, buttons, wheels and switches.​
  4. VAST architecture allows deep editing of all sounds. Some would say VAST is actually too deep (meaning complicated) but once understood, sculpting sounds can be deeply edited.​
  5. Fairly inexpensive since it is now a 10 year old keyboard.​

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Kurzweil PC4. Latest generation of Kurzweils. Price and weight are much lower than PC3(K) line sold for due to plastic shell and manufacturing advancements. Now also includes additional FM Synth Engine as well as VAST, Rompler and KB3 capabilities. Fully capable of sequencing drum tracks. Also allows loading user samples with 2 Gigs of User RAM.

Sells around $2K USD.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Dave

No doubt the Kurzweil is a very good keyboard but there is one significant problem, they are like hens teeth over here in the UK.

One of our national chains is called PMT and they have the PC3 listed but zero in stock at any branch. In fact there are no PC3 models anywhere that you could call a reputable store, only dubious grey imports seem available.

I think Gary suggested this very keyboard a while back when I started looking for a new keyboard for myself but alas for me it is a case of no try, no buy.

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the reply and taking the time to write a detailed response, the roland FA series seems great, I have had my eye on them for a while too, but I thought I'd see if there are any other options out there. Considering the features and pricing, the FA series might be a good choice. Thanks a lot! The last option you suggested seems quite interesting, this board is designed particularly with producing music through a DAW on your PC? It would certainly save me a bit of money compared with other options.

Thanks a lot
Don't ignore the Yamaha PSR series. I have my eye on the PSRX900 which is pricey at about $2200 US. But I think I have outgrown the Casio workstation I have, though it is fun. The problem or situation is that we want to do a wide variety of things but often hit the budget wall. Patience often tempers my desires and so I wait....and write with what I have. Good luck.

Ask a Question