Greetings, I just found this site..

Reaction score
I was searching on Google about various Yamaha keyboards and found this forum. I own an older model Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard that I bought from a very good friend of mine.

I am one of those multi-instrumentalist type of people and play a little of everything. Piano/keyboards were always a little difficult for me, with the concept of getting your hands to work together (and hit the right keys!)

I look forward to reading more and more on this site!

Yamaha-DGX505_zpsf3e10d0f.jpg

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Welcome, ButchA! Did you just buy the DGX-505 from your friend, or have you had it for some time now? It looks to be in pretty good shape.

Reaction score
Welcome, ButchA! Did you just buy the DGX-505 from your friend, or have you had it for some time now? It looks to be in pretty good shape.

Thank you... I bought the used DGX-505 this past spring from my older friend (who's also a fellow Freemason in our lodge). He is a retired professional pianist and besides having a gorgeous Steinway piano in his house, he used to play with a small singing trio and they used the DGX-505 for backing rhythm and occasional piano accompaniment. After they all called it quits a number of years ago, it just sat downstairs in his den underneath an old bedspread. Occasionally his wife would play it or the grandkids would come over and doodle with it. But mostly, it just sat unused for years. It is in MINT condition. I couldn't pass up the price of $200 bucks! :)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
That was a great price-- it seems to run for around $300 on craigslist. Based on the owner's manual it has a pretty full set of instrument voices. And it responds to MIDI control messages for attack, release, cutoff, resonance, and modulation, so you could use MIDI software with it to modify its voices if you wanted. :)

Reaction score
Thank you again... Yeah, my DGX-505 is fantastic with MIDI. I have Finale Songwriter installed on my laptop and plug in the USB cable, and away I go! Whatever I play on the keyboard appears on the musical staff notation. There are literally hundreds of things I could do with it! :D

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Butcha... Is it true that freemasons bathe in the blood of virgins and control the forces of nature? ;)

J/K... My older, departed brother was a member though I never had any personal desire to join.

Anyway have fun with your new toy. Actually from a performance standpoint keys are probably the easiest instrument to play when compared to complicated fingerings like woodwinds and strings.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
LOL... Trust me, I've heard all the jokes about Freemasonry. ;) But in all honesty, it is a really nice fraternal organization very historical and rich in tradition.

Anyway, besides improving my skills on keyboards, I am mainly a guitar player, brass player, woodwinds, strings (violin/fiddle), etc... The hardest one out of all instruments is violin. One wrong move with the bow, and the violin will sound like two cats fighting in an alley. :p

Ask a Question