Hello - Newcomer to This Forum

Reaction score
Just wanted to say hey, everyone - I'm a newcomer to the forum.

I've been a long-time poster on Harmony-Central's Keys, Synths and Samplers forum, w/over 5K posts since 2002 (where I'm also "GigMan") -
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18

... but I just stumbled onto this forum today and thought it'd be good to "spread the love" a bit, to my piano-playing, electronic-synthesizing brethren... :D

I'm primarily a live gigger - playing keys (w/backup & some lead vocals & occasional stints on guitar) steady in a wedding/banquet band here in the "Garden State" of North Jersey... and I also freelance w/other wedding bands as well as bar bands & the occasional "pickup gig" (where I "pickup" an opportunity to play and throw togethr a makeshift band of musicians, handpicked from whoever's available for the date - he he...) - as well as some solo gigs, duo gigs and even the occasional <gasp> DJ gigs :eek:

So, although I'm a family man and work a full-time job Mon-Friday as an IT guy for a public school system in NJ - on weekends on basically a gig whore. Hey, the kids need new shoes and the mortgage doesn't pay itself! :eek:

Cheers!

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! You sound like a pretty experienced player. How long have you been playing?

<<Gratwhol>>

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! You sound like a pretty experienced player. How long have you been playing?

<<Gratwhol>>

Hey thanks -
I'm in my <cough> early 40's, been playing professionally since my teens - my pop used to drag me along on his wedding/banquet gigs (also called "club date" gigs around here, which is funny - since they're not in clubs...). Used to hate it (wanted to be a rock+roll dude) - didn't want to learn "Girl From Ipanema" etc. - but eventually realized the payoff is much bigger on those gigs so I finally succumbed. Started playing steadily in wedding/banquet bands in my 20's & supplemented w/stints in bar bands along the way...

At this point I do about 25 gigs a year w/the wedding band I'm currently in & supplement w/a few bar band gigs (can't do the 2am coming home thing too much these days) & other freelance fillins as well as pickup gigs and whatever comes my way (restaurant gigs, summer concerts, DJ for school dance or picnic, etc.)... :D about 50-60 gigs a year, some more, some less.

I'm comfortable in many styles (rock, pop, R&B, standards, ballads) - expert in none. Classical & true jazz are my weak points. I consider myself a rocker - love to rock out and love to sing good harmonies w/occasional lead vox as well. Tom Petty, Eagles, Doobies, James Taylor, Steve Miller, Billy Joel, Elton, w/some Bad Co., AC/DC & Def Leppard & Led Zep mixed in... that's the stuff I was digging as a kid & still do! ;)

I have absolutely no interest in programming synths. I barely can remember what presets I have in each keyboard... :eek: - am much more insterested in learning tunes & gigging. :cool:

Reaction score
I have absolutely no interest in programming synths. I barely can remember what presets I have in each keyboard... :eek: - am much more insterested in learning tunes & gigging. :cool:

Hi! It's great to talk to someone like you... some of those folks on the electronica forums, they talk so much tech you wonder if anyone ever PLAYS MUSIC on their instruments.:D

Playing gigs ROCKS... wish I could still do that kind of stuff.

Reaction score
Hi! It's great to talk to someone like you... some of those folks on the electronica forums, they talk so much tech you wonder if anyone ever PLAYS MUSIC on their instruments.:D

Playing gigs ROCKS... wish I could still do that kind of stuff.

Ha - it does... I love it. :) Why don't you do it any more, Laura?

Here in NJ a lot of the towns/cities sponsor a summer music concert series & this summer I'm doing one in my town and neighboring town w/a band I threw together last year for the occasion... my kids'll get to come w/my wife & hang out - it's a lot of fun. :cool:

Reaction score
Ha - it does... I love it. :) Why don't you do it any more, Laura?

Long story that starts back in the 70s. I was a bluegrass banjo player... Job & Life interfered with Band. Interim: 2 decades of Children/Family. Fast forward to 90s when I was a bass player. SAME STORY.

Now it's the 2000s and I'm a keyboard player in training. Hoping to get good enough for gigs before I'm too old to carry Amps. Nevertheless... I'm already too old for most Gigs. Who wants an Old Lady in their band?

That's the Short version of the story.

Reaction score
Hey Gigman, welcome to the keyboardforums...good to see another >cough< older player here, I just turned 59:confused:, and still playing the 2am drive homes haha and...mostly biker bar type clubs on the beach in PC, Florida. Never too old to rock n roll lol. I'm a 40+ year veteran on the guitar, started playing piano/organ gigs outta neccessity (sit down) and other long winded ailments, plunked around on the keys since 70's and got into a band in 03' just keyboards, I'm not that brilliant on piano/organ but all we play is mostly southern rock and blues and that just takes alot of feeling Haha. Good to have you here Gigman! Rufus J.

Band's myspace
http://www.myspace.com/crossfirerock

Reaction score
I'm not that brilliant on piano/organ but all we play is mostly southern rock and blues and that just takes alot of feeling Haha. Good to have you here Gigman! Rufus J.

Thanks Rufus - "feeling" indeed... some of the greatest-sounding piano men are great "feel" players for the Southern rock bands: Chuck Leavell (Allmans), Billy Powell (Skynrd), Bill Payne (Little Feat)! :cool:

Reaction score
Hoping to get good enough for gigs before I'm too old to carry Amps. Nevertheless... I'm already too old for most Gigs. Who wants an Old Lady in their band?

Don't sweat it: we have a band here in NJ called "The Kootz" - great band, I play w/them on occasion - made up of a rotating cast of about 14 guys who are all seasoned musicians in their <cough> later years... :p (different guys on each gig 'cept for the leader, who's on almost every gig). In fact the name The Kootz is short for ("You old koot! :mad:) hehehe - they used to be called "Old Man Jam"

Anyway, they're one of the best bands around and play constantly, all year long but from May (Memorial Day wknd.) to Sept. (Labor Day) they play literally every day of the week, between bars, clubs, parties, down the shore & the numerous street fairs and summer concerts that are popular in NJ. :)

Reaction score
Thanks Rufus - "feeling" indeed... some of the greatest-sounding piano men are great "feel" players for the Southern rock bands: Chuck Leavell (Allmans), Billy Powell (Skynrd), Bill Payne (Little Feat)! :cool:

You HIT all my favorite "feel" players right there!! Good to have a gigman around whose been around and apparently knows what he's talikng about.
The Koots band sounds right up my alley...we have a jamm here in NW Fl once a year, all the "oltimers" get together and play and its a blast.

Laura, you are not an "old lady"

Ask a Question