Help needed please (Newby here).

Reaction score
I have just bought a Pa1000 (a week ago), and I am really struggling in so many ways.
It seems to be a good keyboard, but Korgs absolutely bad Owners Manual and Quick Guide are no help at all except in the most simple way.

These are my current sticking points:-
1. How can I do an individual octave change? All instrument settings change at once whereas it is necessary to be able to vary them.
2. Where do I alter EQ settings. Everybody says how much that can improve the sound of the keyboard. (It's certainly true of the Tyros).
3. How to delete a song?
4. How to create and access a personal Set List, such as Jazz, Ballroom, John's Set List.
4a. And how to recover them.
I5. I've done a backup to USB, but now found it locked for backing up again.

Neither the Quick Guide not the Owners Manual are any help.

I would appreciate any guidance please. (I have just 7 days left before I return it for a refund).
John.

P.S. I must point out that I also have a Tyros5/76 which is sooo different to this Pa1000.

Reaction score
I have just bought a Pa1000 (a week ago), and I am really struggling in so many ways.
It seems to be a good keyboard, but Korgs absolutely bad Owners Manual and Quick Guide are no help at all except in the most simple way.

These are my current sticking points:-
1. How can I do an individual octave change? All instrument settings change at once whereas it is necessary to be able to vary them.
2. Where do I alter EQ settings. Everybody says how much that can improve the sound of the keyboard. (It's certainly true of the Tyros).
3. How to delete a song?
4. How to create and access a personal Set List, such as Jazz, Ballroom, John's Set List.
4a. And how to recover them.
I5. I've done a backup to USB, but now found it locked for backing up again.

Neither the Quick Guide not the Owners Manual are any help.

I would appreciate any guidance please. (I have just 7 days left before I return it for a refund).
John.

P.S. I must point out that I also have a Tyros5/76 which is sooo different to this Pa1000.
I actually find the manual to be better than most.

1. Opening the PDF an doing a Find for "octave" shows that you'll find the octave manipulation info on p. 171 ("Octave transpose and fine tuning) -- also review p. 148 ("transposing the Upper Sounds to a different octave") since the info there also helps provide a shortcut for the other.

2. Master EQ is on p. 505 ("Accessing the Master EQ"). There's also EQ available per mixer channel, and also EQ that is available on the individual oscillators of a sound, and also EQs available as effecst, and EQ available for the pads, and EQ For the vocal harmonizer. So you can drill down and put EQ exactly anywhere you want it. But I think you're just talking about master EQ here, yes?

3. Delete a song from what? Different instructions depending on your goal, but it's all in there.

4. Accessing a set list (from either Tile view or List view) is on p. 115 ("Using the Set Lists"). Creating and editing set lists is on p. 129 ("Creating and editing the Set Lists")

(I've listed the headings as well as page numbers, so you can search for them, in case different versions of the manual had these things on different pages.)

Reaction score
I actually find the manual to be better than most.

1. Opening the PDF an doing a Find for "octave" shows that you'll find the octave manipulation info on p. 171 ("Octave transpose and fine tuning) -- also review p. 148 ("transposing the Upper Sounds to a different octave") since the info there also helps provide a shortcut for the other.

2. Master EQ is on p. 505 ("Accessing the Master EQ"). There's also EQ available per mixer channel, and also EQ that is available on the individual oscillators of a sound, and also EQs available as effecst, and EQ available for the pads, and EQ For the vocal harmonizer. So you can drill down and put EQ exactly anywhere you want it. But I think you're just talking about master EQ here, yes?

3. Delete a song from what? Different instructions depending on your goal, but it's all in there.

4. Accessing a set list (from either Tile view or List view) is on p. 115 ("Using the Set Lists"). Creating and editing set lists is on p. 129 ("Creating and editing the Set Lists")

(I've listed the headings as well as page numbers, so you can search for them, in case different versions of the manual had these things on different pages.)
Thank you so much for that advice, I appreciate it, and I'll go through it all this evening.
I have to say that the retailer (where I bought the Pa1000 from knows even less than I do, and is at a loss to answer my questions. They are struggling just as I am.
I think, as so many others have said, that my familiarity with Yamaha.
keyboards is a handicap as the Korg is so very different.
Thanks,
John.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You know what? I find the quickest and easiest way to familiarize yourself with a new keyboard is to search youtube for the make and model and associated the tutorials, demos and reviews.

That usually gets me up to speed and when I need to, the manuals are the last resort :D

Gary ;)

EDIT >> PS: Korg DOES write the most horrible manuals in the English language. Translated from Japanese then into Croation Then Klingon and FINALLY into INGRISH. :p :p :p

Reaction score
EDIT >> PS: Korg DOES write the most horrible manuals in the English language. Translated from Japanese then into Croation Then Klingon and FINALLY into INGRISH. :p :p :p
The manuals for the products that come out of Korg Italy (PA series arrangers, SV1/SV2) are actually some of the better keyboard manuals, IMO.

Reaction score
Watch Korg’s Video Manual series before you do anything else.

The Korg manual is very extensive and far superior to what Yamahaha produce for their SX models.

If you search this forum you will find quite a lot of Korg Pa threads which are well worth searching for and reading.

I have posted a lot of advice in using a Pa, it is there within the Korg section.

Advice I have said over and over again is:-
1 Format a USB drive in the Pa
2 Create a Backup file
3 Create a user data file Media > Save > All
4 Never, ever press the Initialise onscreen button

Reaction score
You know what? I find the quickest and easiest way to familiarize yourself with a new keyboard is to search youtube for the make and model and associated the tutorials, demos and reviews.

That usually gets me up to speed and when I need to, the manuals are the last resort :D

Gary ;)

Thanks Gary, I feel better now after your comments.
So much to learn, and so little time to do it.
I had started to get the distinct impression that I'd bought the Pa1000 in order to watch videos.
Cheers,
John.

Reaction score
Hi Col,
I'm pretty well constipated with Korg videos just now, although I am continuing, slowly, to watch them.
The fact that there are so many tells me that they are definitely needed.
John.

Reaction score
Yes the OS does require a lot of effort to get get to know.it.

Just watch Korg’s Video Manual series, they will help most plus Korgs standalong video on Songbook Editor when you are ready to connect the Pa up to a PC

Reaction score
Yes the OS does require a lot of effort to get get to know.it.

Just watch Korg’s Video Manual series, they will help most plus Korgs standalong video on Songbook Editor when you are ready to connect the Pa up to a PC

Reaction score
Hi again,
I'm slowly succeeding in understanding the Pa1000, and it is a very good keyboard.
My problem is that I've come from my Tyros5/76, and the names that Korg use for simple things like Registration is very confusing.

I'm stuck at the moment Trying to undetrstand how to put the voices that I want into the Keyboard Set Library nine buttons.
As I don't want them in the same places nor order as shown on the buttons, but, hey ho, I'll get there.

Thanks for your patience.
John.

Reaction score
Page 186 of the manual, Writing the Sound Sets will explain how it is done.

I suspect that this is not precisely what you want but it is the best I can do after not having a PA for over 18 months.

Learning Klingon is the quickest way to learn your way around a Korg OS.

Reaction score
You are so right - I've spent 20 or more years with Yamaha keyboards.
John.

Ask a Question