Help with amp settings

Reaction score
Hell all I am new to this forum and have learned a lot by reading old post. I am also new to playing keyboard. I have been playing the piano for over 25 years now but just recently started playing a keyboard and although the keys are the same everything else is different. So here is the problem I am having. I don't know how set things up to get a good sound when playing live.

I have a Roland Juno-D keyboard and a Behringer K3000FX Ultratone Keyboard Amplifier. Both suit me well for now as starters and fit my budget. The amplifier has a 7-band graphic EQ on it and this is where I need help. I have no idea how to set it to get a good sound. I tried to get the guitar player to help me but when he set it it sound like a cheap piano being played through a guitar amp. So right now I am playing with a flat settings (all knobs on the same level) and it sounds okay but not a full sound.

The amplifier is enclosed in a bass reflex cabinet and has a 15 in. Bugera woofer and a 1 in. tweeter in it. I play in a 4 piece band in a small hotel bar. We play mostly blues and clasic rock with a little country. I use the grand piano patch and the hammond organ patch the most. What I want the most is to get the piano sound to sound rich and full and more like a real piano. Right now it just sounds like a flat cheap upright. Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your question is a BIG one....equalization depends on so many things....and it changes even if your in the same room because the conditions in the room always change

To start with, if you only have a 7 band eq on your amp, that dosent even come close to covering the spectrum.....especially if your wanting to try to eq a piano sound...the 400k range is a big frequency concerning piano as well as 200k....but i doubt your eq can access that range.......only piece of advice i can give is start with a "smiley face"....that will take alot of mids out, boost the bass as well as the treble....and then adjust from there.....i assume if your playing rock and blues, you would need the piano sound to be a little "bright" so it could cut thru the mix of the other instruments......or they always say its better to CUT and not BOOST.....if you wanted to try that, start out with everything flat, then CUT, or take out the frequencies you dont want...ie; to tinty....to much bass...hollow sounds....if you had a bigger spectrum eq, this is what i would sugest and even give you the frequencies to adjust or at least look at......but its next to impossible prolly with only a 7 band graphic.........sorry i couldnt help more

Keyplayer

Ask a Question