help with wk 6500/7500

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently purchased wk 6500 casio. It is definitely awesome but I am not able to find the number pad buttons to select tone or rhythm. I had to turn the wheel or the +/- arrow to scroll through the tone.

Is there any one working with a this new series of casio range?

Thank You
Vin

Reaction score
That does appear to be an omission of a "quicker picker" method. I suppose it is all what you are used to. I find that trying to find a number on a list, then type it in, to be also inconvenient. Or looking at the reminder listing printed on the keyboard, that "071-120 = Organ" (on my keyboard, while also remembering that accordions and harmonicas are also listed under organs), then after having typed in 071 and Enter to start at that range of tones, I have to then additionally scroll through them all with the +/- (^/v) keys, then try to decipher the often abbreviated cryptic instrument name.

You could always put your favorite ones into any of the 305 music presets and reference them by a hand-printed list taped to the keyboard. Or if it is constantly connected to computer, you could always select the tones by menu options in Cakewalk's "Patch Browser" (using the WK-6500's Instrument Definition file I've posted elsewhere). When sending one note to the keyboard from Cakewalk, the patch tone-selection will remain until changed again manually or by software (if it is anything like my CTK-5000).

If part of the problem is wanting to get back to the default 001 tone quickly, you press + and - at the same time to instantly set tone 001. (I think I remember that this also works for any option selection, including getting back to song 001 from MIDI files on an SD card. It also resets tempo to the middle default.)

Every method will always be a compromise, when you have so many tones and other options to choose from. The difference between choosing 1 book of 10 on your book-shelf, or walking into the Library of Congress. I guess I would welcome the method that you are "stuck" with.

I also just now noticed (from checking) that the WK-7500 also lacks the numeric input pad. I guess this is a feature that doesn't seem all that important in newer models now that they have the jog-dial with so many presets available to store them in. Perhaps someone should do a speed and convenience test, compare two boards side-by-side. See who selects a non-memorized tone option faster, the old way or the new way.

Reaction score
Thanks For that great information.

I did go through the preset settings in the manual. I am not able to understand the loading of presets. I now know how to select the preset and selecting the tone. But how can I store the tone and how to load the stored tone or rhythm?

Reaction score
That does appear to be an omission of a "quicker picker" method. I suppose it is all what you are used to. I find that trying to find a number on a list, then type it in, to be also inconvenient. Or looking at the reminder listing printed on the keyboard, that "071-120 = Organ" (on my keyboard, while also remembering that accordions and harmonicas are also listed under organs), then after having typed in 071 and Enter to start at that range of tones, I have to then additionally scroll through them all with the +/- (^/v) keys, then try to decipher the often abbreviated cryptic instrument name.

You could always put your favorite ones into any of the 305 music presets and reference them by a hand-printed list taped to the keyboard. Or if it is constantly connected to computer, you could always select the tones by menu options in Cakewalk's "Patch Browser" (using the WK-6500's Instrument Definition file I've posted elsewhere). When sending one note to the keyboard from Cakewalk, the patch tone-selection will remain until changed again manually or by software (if it is anything like my CTK-5000).

If part of the problem is wanting to get back to the default 001 tone quickly, you press + and - at the same time to instantly set tone 001. (I think I remember that this also works for any option selection, including getting back to song 001 from MIDI files on an SD card. It also resets tempo to the middle default.)

Every method will always be a compromise, when you have so many tones and other options to choose from. The difference between choosing 1 book of 10 on your book-shelf, or walking into the Library of Congress. I guess I would welcome the method that you are "stuck" with.

I also just now noticed (from checking) that the WK-7500 also lacks the numeric input pad. I guess this is a feature that doesn't seem all that important in newer models now that they have the jog-dial with so many presets available to store them in. Perhaps someone should do a speed and convenience test, compare two boards side-by-side. See who selects a non-memorized tone option faster, the old way or the new way.
Thanks For that great information.

I did go through the preset settings in the manual. I am not able to understand the loading of presets. I now know how to select the preset and selecting the tone. But how can I store the tone and how to load the stored tone or rhythm?

Reaction score
Chapel Hill, NC and the Texas hill country
Hey Mag..........
I'm in the same boat.
Just got a wk7500 and am having transitional problems ( from a wk3700).......
So ....I've taken my favorite/most used instruments, modified them to my satisfaction and saved the results to the User Tones area.
I'm up to about 8 instruments now in User Tones and once you hit that User Tone button, scrolling is just as fast as punchin' in numbers.

You figured out the Mixer yet ????

L.D.

Reaction score
Just got a wk7500....

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but I'm thinking of buying a 7500 in a few weeks. Can you tell me how you like the sounds? I'm not an advanced musician, just a plinker who has loved musical instruments and gadgets for years and years...

Thanks, Crodley

Reaction score
My not having that same model of keyboard here, makes it difficult for me to do what the manual states, and then put it in simpler terms for you. I only have the manuals for these keyboards handy. (I needed them to create the instrument-definition files for them, posted elsewhere.)

All that I can advise that you do is re-read pages E-50 to E-63 a few times while ALSO following their examples step-by-step. Particularly pages E-62 & 63, where you can use the simpler to store and recall, though fewer (32), keyboard-setups. Use that for storing and recalling your most favorite tones and rhythms for now. Do their examples, step-by-step a few times, until you understand the process.

Casio's manuals aren't the easiest to understand, I have found. But with these keyboards being able to do as much as they do with so many options and features, they try to write their manuals as concise as possible. If you do their examples without skipping anything it eventually becomes clear. It took me about a month to finally understand and become proficient at using most of the settings in my CTK-5000, learning one feature's settings and options at a time. I'm a pretty fast learner, but even with this keyboard having only about 1/4th of the features that your keyboard has, it still took me that long to get comfortable at using/understanding the most used/important options. There's still some features of it that I haven't learned and it's been about a year of owning it.

Ask a Question