How did you become a keyboard player?

Reaction score
I started on bass, then switched to guitar, and now I'm playing keys. I guess its more in demand around here.

Reaction score
I like synths.

I am a alto sax player, since grade school. I have always been fascinated by synths. Although, I have never been able to afford one. Today,.. I have four keys and was considering a fifth. How much is too much? I am not that great on them so most of my time is just creatin and tweakin differents sounds. I was curious to know how many keyboards to the rest of you have.

Reaction score
i got my first casio when I was 4 or 5 years old and i loved to play. As I grew, so did my keyboards :D

I learned to play the guitar later (not much of a solo although)

Reaction score
Cool..
I think you'd enjoy the MO6 very much. I was lookin for an arranger. The MM6 is ok but, it lacks the intro and ending feature. The voices are really sweet. Especially the soprano sax. That is why I'm not sure if I'd part with it. I guess I'll just have to get a bigger room.
Note: I just happened to stumble onto this forum. I'm sad to see how "not busy" it is. Maybe we can change this. It would be great to share thoughts, comments, knowledge etc. with others interested in this hobby. I say "hobby" because, I'm am anything but a pro musician.
Well, thanks for the responses, have a great day.

Reaction score
Cool..
I think you'd enjoy the MO6 very much. I was lookin for an arranger. The MM6 is ok but, it lacks the intro and ending feature. The voices are really sweet. Especially the soprano sax. That is why I'm not sure if I'd part with it. I guess I'll just have to get a bigger room.
Note: I just happened to stumble onto this forum. I'm sad to see how "not busy" it is. Maybe we can change this. It would be great to share thoughts, comments, knowledge etc. with others interested in this hobby. I say "hobby" because, I'm am anything but a pro musician.
Well, thanks for the responses, have a great day.

Have you tried the new PSR S700/S900 series? They have most
styles from the Tyros2 so it's actually a baby tyros. They sound great,
and cost 3 times less

Reaction score
no,.. I will check em out. Thanks!!:)

you do that. My opinion is that yamaha has warm sounds and warm styles which are great for OMB or duos. Tyros2 sounds GREAT but it costs too much. But, as always yamaha has another keyboard with the sound quality of the "bigger brother" but with less options.

The same thing is with workstations. MOTIF ES as a flagship and MO as MOTIF's little brother.

Since MOTIF XS is out, we can expect XS's little brother... maybe some MOX or something like that :)

Reaction score
I would love to have the xs. However, I would have to sell my motif 6 classic first. Since my playing ability is limited, I thought the arranger type keys would be more fun for me. They Tyros line is sweet but, as you said, they are much more $$. Of course, I was hoping that I could write my song intros, accomp. etc onto my 4 trk recorder and then overdub my lead voices etc.etc. There is much more labor here and would probably get more personal satisfaction doing it this way but...sometimes I just want to jump right in and start hitting the keys. Know what I mean?
I guess I have to admit, I love keyboard "toys". I got a chance to play the Korg PA50 and thought it was pretty good. However, from reviews...it was just ok. I agree with you, in that Yamaha keyboards have great, smooth voices. Have a great weekend,.. TTYL

Reaction score
I would love to have the xs. However, I would have to sell my motif 6 classic first. Since my playing ability is limited, I thought the arranger type keys would be more fun for me. They Tyros line is sweet but, as you said, they are much more $$. Of course, I was hoping that I could write my song intros, accomp. etc onto my 4 trk recorder and then overdub my lead voices etc.etc. There is much more labor here and would probably get more personal satisfaction doing it this way but...sometimes I just want to jump right in and start hitting the keys. Know what I mean?
I guess I have to admit, I love keyboard "toys". I got a chance to play the Korg PA50 and thought it was pretty good. However, from reviews...it was just ok. I agree with you, in that Yamaha keyboards have great, smooth voices. Have a great weekend,.. TTYL

like I said, if you like the way tyros2 sounds, but you don't have the money, you can go for the new S series (S500,S700,S900).

They all have tyros quality but with less "goodies". The S500 has only 32 poly so i wouldn't recommend it, but the S700 looks good, and if you have the extra money you could go all the way and buy the S900 which has even more sounds and styles, not to mention poliphony.

Since i play in a band, I don't need an arranger. I own a Korg TR76, which is a great keyboard, but has crappy piano sounds so I bought some RAM modules and downloaded yamaha piano samples from the internet.

But, i think i'll buy myself a small entry level arranger just for fun. Something like PSR E403

Reaction score
I play guitar and then I heard of dream theater. And when i heard some of the amazing riffs, solos etc that Jordan Rudess had played. It influenced me sooooo much so i decided to buy a synth and teach myself (still in the process of teaching myself) lol

Reaction score
Hmm, well, I started playing drums when I was around 15, when I got out of school I did a year course in classical music, with classical guitar and singing as my major. Part of the course which was compulsory was keyboards/piano.

I suppose that is where it started. My first keyboard was some $200 casio. I still have it, it's just on an extended loan to my friends and I have no intention of getting taking it back :p. Currently in the market for a new keyboard.

Reaction score
I play guitar and then I heard of dream theater. And when i heard some of the amazing riffs, solos etc that Jordan Rudess had played. It influenced me sooooo much so i decided to buy a synth and teach myself (still in the process of teaching myself) lol

YEAH!!! Dream Theater rules the Planet.:D I saw them a few months ago!!!:D:D:D

I just recently got into keyboard. I have been into so many kinds of music starting with bluegrass, folk & celtic, then on to World, ambient, trance, psychedelic, hard rock, heavy metal etc.

I re-started guitar this year... after awhile I realized I had better widen my options. After all I'm not young anymore and standing up with that guitar & bass gives me a sore shoulder. I figured I could still play keys even if I was in a wheelchair. Oh yeah and also with all those young guy guitar players, who's gonna want an Old Lady on the stage.:eek: But if I played keys, I can hide behind them & nobody will even see me. :p

I watched a Pink Floyd cover band and the keys player was an Old lady like me, hiding behind her wall of equipment like a secret wizard in her lair!:eek:

This summer I played the keys in the store and the beautiful voices just blew me away!!! That was when i decided I just had to learn this instrument.

I mean talk about being in love...I play some of the sounds and tears come to my eyes. :)

Sorry, Im running out of smiley faces. !!!

Reaction score
Yeah OK the previous post was 2007 but there is madness in my method.

Methinksthatsentenceisabitoff.

Anyway.

I was reading the Led Zep court case thread that Gary posed and at the bottom of the page there was this SIMILAR THREADS list and this thread was at the top so having nothing better to do as I sit here feeling very sorry for myself as my arthritic hip is very, very painfull at the moment, I just had to read the damn thread.

If I had to read the thread then enjoy reading it yourselves.

Perhaps you can see a similarity between Gary’s Led Zep post and this for I sure as heck cannot.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Just reflecting on the previous post . .
Sorry Becky. No disrespect to the forums . . just a little Aussie humour!
I think the OP has moved on and this 11 year old thread was revived by boredom thanks to @Biggles lol so blame him!

Just to bringthe thread back to sensibility . .
I actually started keyboarding when my son left home to join the airforce. He left his keyboard under his bed. It was just a kids 4 octave Yamaha thing. I dragged it out and said to myself "why can't I play this? What is stopping me from learning it?" So I did! I learnt how to play it. I learnt how to read music and actually play real tunes. It excited me and I felt a real sense of achievement. Never ever had that feeling of anything in my life ever!
I always envied musicians and always wished I could play something. It was a frustration of mine for many years not knowing how to play music. The opportunity came the day I cleaned out my son's room.
I never looked back. When I was a kid growing up, we were living on struggle street. I never had any chance to learn music when I was young. But now I have no inhibitions or blockades. The world is my oyster. Love Music, Love Life!
That is my answer to the OP's question.
cheers
Ray

Ask a Question