How do I patch a bass guitar into a keyboard?

Reaction score
I am looking for a way to patch my bass into a keyboard so that as I play the bass there is an accompanying string sound playing simultaneously. Is this possible? What do I need? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.,

Reaction score
you might be able to do this with a midi-converter....thing is, you need a converter to plug your bass into or another added pickup, then go to the keyboard via midi to pick up the strings as an accompaniment.....OR you could invest in a Roland midi-pedal board that has strings, etc in the unit...http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...ynthesizer-with-GK3-Divided-Pickup?sku=150097
same principal with out keys.

Reaction score
I have seen things you hook up to guitars that converts into midi signals, but they got mixed reviews. Should probably be easier to get a keyboard and layer bass and strings *grins*

Reaction score
I am looking for a way to patch my bass into a keyboard so that as I play the bass there is an accompanying string sound playing simultaneously. Is this possible? What do I need? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.,

The Alesis Micron (a 37-key synth) has an "audio in" jack. Sposedly you can plug an external source into this and run it thru the effects. It works the same as a vocoder that uses an external mic.

But I don't know about simultaneously playing a keybd sound.

Reaction score
There are more expensive keyboards that have instrument jacks in, that would convert the signal to midi, I'm thinking this would change the instrument to what sample you are selecting, maybe layering would be a possibilty, I don't think the Alesis Micron has string samples, even with the Roland you would need a dedicated 4 string pick up for the bass guitar. This is a good idea and I could see where it would have some function in a band, blending strings even brass with the bass lines. Good luck, keep us posted.

Reaction score
Well, from what I see there is two possibilities: One is converting analog into midi then using the midi through a synth/sound module. Two is to have the analog go through the synth and the synth uses the analog signal to add processing that would resemble strings. The analog to midi would probably be the easiest form. Using analog as a source for synthesis would probably need alot of tweaking/fiddling with the synth. Naturally you need the proper keyboards for each task.

Ask a Question